PDA

View Full Version : Code Jockeying:)

krynstone
02-05-06, 22:50
So....I just spent 54 hrs in the last 4 days coding up my final project for my last class in College. It's funny because I didn't get burnt out...I just knew it was going to take a long time and enjoyed myself while sitting there getting it all together.

Part of the reason it took so long was because my programming partner can't program worth a shit. How is it that so many people in Computer Science majors can't code?

Anyways...

Anyone else been coding intensively recently?

Strife
02-05-06, 23:03
*waits for kk's response*

Asurmen Spec Op
02-05-06, 23:33
So....I just spent 54 hrs in the last 4 days coding up my final project for my last class in College. It's funny because I didn't get burnt out...I just knew it was going to take a long time and enjoyed myself while sitting there getting it all together.

Part of the reason it took so long was because my programming partner can't program worth a shit. How is it that so many people in Computer Science majors can't code?

Anyways...

Do you also have the luck where most people your pared with cant do shit and youre stuck doing it all?
happens to me all the time =/

cRazy-
02-05-06, 23:33

Yes.

I wont say anything more then that though, wait a couple of months and you'll find out.

Tratos
03-05-06, 00:02
I will be in the summer as im bashing the crap out of my website and getting some new features stuck too it while intergrating forums to CMS - i'll probably use a pre-coded system but they still drive me around the bend as stuff like that seems to be the most unorganised coding ever >_< I''ll also be sticking some new templates together for both the site and forums which will need coding properly, even more so for the forums as the template system in SMF is a bitch O_o

*is a code tidiness freak*

While i say that, im still quite the coding newbie but from my current stuff i've progressed a bit so the new stuff in the summer should be alot better than what i have now.

Brammers
03-05-06, 11:11

Computer Science is not just about coding. There is the Analysis, design and testing parts as well...you know the boring bits that no-one likes! ;)

I'll be doing some intensive coding again on the Rares DB. At the moment, I'm sketching out class designs, and doing some database designs ready for the code. I have a pile of post-it notes for my designs!

krynstone
03-05-06, 15:44
Heh...brammers you hit it right on....That's the one thing everyone else seems to lack...

An internal drive to code well. I look at coding as more of an art form. I like my code to run as fast as possible, use as little resources as possible, and be elegant in design so as to be felixible and adaptable.

I am a software engineer...not just a programmer.
Same in analogy to a:
building engineer and a bricklayer

It seems everyone one else decides to try one way and stick to it.

In my case he wanted to pass all information across the network as strings. It ended up being much better when I recoded the part he insisted on doing like that to pass the binary data instead of as strings.

giga191
03-05-06, 15:44
*waits for kk's response*
A: No.

Brammers
03-05-06, 16:07
@krynstone - If you want to see "Arty" code, look at C++ code or Perl. Espically regular expressions.

To a Perl programmer, they look short and simple. But if you are not a seasoned Perl programmer, they look like /dev/null throwing a segfault.

I know years ago, lack of resources (ie memory, CPU etc) used to be a problem. These days with processors running at 3GHz+ and minimum of 1Gig of memory, it's less of an issue.

...erm there was something else I was going to say, but I lost my thoughts as Jini and Bugs are talking about foreplay on MSN. :eek:

Hell-demon
03-05-06, 16:16
DAMN!

I could be in that convo...stupid school computer........ :mad:

Faid
03-05-06, 17:31
[QUOTE=krynstone]So....I just spent 54 hrs in the last 4 days coding up my final project for my last class in College.[QUOTE]
Was wondering where you've been :D

elGringo
03-05-06, 17:37
did you manage to get "hello world!" to work now? :p

rob444
03-05-06, 18:06
Yup programmed a lot lately, my gf got angry at me because I was only sitting there and programming. And I hate computer science as well, I remember we were a group with 5 people in it, we had a goal, to complete som jack code with errors the teacher had designed and a lot of other stuff. I was the only one programming the shit, others were like "?". That was unfortunely very sad :/, we got highest grade on that project though ;D