PDA

View Full Version : Font Size in Neocron

CMaster
01-05-06, 02:15
I have a friend who plays Neocron and for a variety of reasons he has eye problems. Anyway, he has real problems reading a lot of text in Neocron. Its a strain for him and he finds it difficult to pay much attention to NPCs or even trade and so on with other players. Now its not a big thing, but he'd be helped greatly by the ability to change text size in Neocron - notably the NPC chat and the chatbox - obviously it would be difficult with some of the other stuff that the RPOS is designed around.

Anyway, is there any hope of adressing this issue to help the weaker of sight NC or potential NC players (I'm sure there are a fair few out there).

rob444
01-05-06, 02:18
Good idea, 5*.

IceStorm
01-05-06, 02:39
Anyway, is there any hope of adressing this issue to help the weaker of sight NC or potential NC playersJust play at 640x480, or is he just having problems with text and not other parts of the UI?

The fonts aren't scalable, they never have been scalable, and there's no indication they ever will be scalable. I run at 1152x864 for precisely this reason. Anything higher and the fonts are too small for me to read comfortably

CMaster
01-05-06, 02:47
Just play at 640x480, or is he just having problems with text and not other parts of the UI?

The fonts aren't scalable, they never have been scalable, and there's no indication they ever will be scalable. I run at 1152x864 for precisely this reason. Anything higher and the fonts are too small for me to read comfortably

Just fonts really. And its not really a particuarly fair option. At 640 x 480 the rpos is pretty much unmanigable and the game does just look rather ugly. And the HUD sections take up half your screen.
You'll also notice from time to time screenshots that show people with bugged fonts - and a differnt, often larger and clearer font appears - althoug often badly out of line.

Mr Kot
01-05-06, 03:05
Bring back the NC1 font, it was so much easier to read, especially on the item 'info' windows. Runner / mob / clan names were a lot smoother too. I've never liked the 'square' font all in capitals.

Although the original font is still used in NPC text boxes, i do agree that it should be bigger. Certain webpages cater for the visually impaired with choice of layout / font size, so why not PC games? Or is there a setting somewhere i don't know about?

IceStorm
01-05-06, 04:03
You'll also notice from time to time screenshots that show people with bugged fonts - and a differnt, often larger and clearer font appears - althoug often badly out of line.Oh, you can hack up the UI to use a different font, but I don't think it's kosher from what KK has said and as you noted, it ends up out of line. The UI doesn't support scalable fonts, in general.

Necpock
01-05-06, 10:09
The horizontal lines in the text box doesn't help either :P

Tratos
01-05-06, 10:28
The UI doesn't support scalable fonts, in general.
What an excellent excuse to create a new smoother simline HUD :)

I have problems reading the GR window and names/figures in the trade window and the text in those situations is just damn tiny, i'd play in higher than 1024x768 if the font were bigger - i dont at the moment because then EVERYTHING strains my eyes not just the gr/trade window.

RusSki
01-05-06, 12:08
If all else is lost your friend could shell out £800 on a nice new lcd tv and use that as his monitor. Works for me and nc sure looks nice. Tho dont try and stretch it to a widescreen resolution.
It'll be a quicker fix than gettin kk to add a new font.

Anyway althought the font isnt scalable would it be possible to simply add a bigger font and give players an option in the ... options to choose between normal or larger font? Not sure if this is possible but i'm sure it prolly is... somehow.

Glok
01-05-06, 13:40
RusSki is right. My brother gave me a $500 Dell LCD for my birthday (cause he's nuts) and the difference in everything is amazing, though it ghosts a bit in dark games, which I actually don't mind. NC in 1280x1024 is SOOO much better, for RPOS status window real estate.

silent000
01-05-06, 13:58
I have eye sight problems as i wear glasses, and soemtimes i get rele bad headaches quinting my eyes to read the text

kurai
01-05-06, 16:15
The font sizing has been a pain in the arse since the original betas, and has been consistently complained about ever since.

I'd dearly love to use a higher resolution (my machine is well capable of it) but I have to limit myself to 1280x1024 because the fonts are simply unreadable any higher.
Even at 1280 it's just on the limit, and is a strain to read.

The new typeface introduced in NC2 just made the problem worse.

The RPOS as a whole badly needs a reworking - could we get some of the GFX people working on it while the coders are busy with the bugfixing and balancing effort ?

At the launch of NC2 and the horrible "frilly" RPOS Iorghe said some new options would be forthcoming, and I believe (from PM conversations) that a good deal of work had already been done on a new layout - for whatever reason this has been shelved and not referred to ever since.

Ho hum.

Tratos
01-05-06, 16:24
Rating this 5*s for what little value it will have for this to be taken into account - i hope it is, hud rework with better fonts (the Neocron 2 font is really harsh on the eyes) that are scalable or even as suggested with a normal and big setting would be a very welcome thing.

Brammers
01-05-06, 16:25
I don't agree spending out £500 for a new LCD to fix a font problem, when it's a game design/graphics issue.

On a related topic, reading weapon descriptions and GR lists in CAPS ALL THE TIME with a very hard to read font, is hard even enough for normal sighted people at 1024 x 768 resolution.

Comon KK, encourage healthy gaming and put in a readable font. ;)

Scanner Darkly
01-05-06, 23:53
The consensus seems to be that an option to toggle the font between small/medium/large is required. I also had to limit myself to lower resolutions in order for the font to be readable, even on relatively large monitors (19" crt and 17" lcd). And a more customisable/skinnable interface would make a lot of people happy too ;)

Idoru
02-10-12, 19:19
I am bumping this for my first post as a brand new player. I am enjoying myself immensely while running about and getting lost, but the standard gui font is real struggle to read. If there is a way to edit the font or even just the size of it, please let me know. Much thanks.

Mokoi
02-10-12, 19:44
moved to bugreports

Forget My Name
02-10-12, 20:59
I am bumping this for my first post as a brand new player. I am enjoying myself immensely while running about and getting lost, but the standard gui font is real struggle to read. If there is a way to edit the font or even just the size of it, please let me know. Much thanks.

You do notice that these issues were brought up in 2006?

I don't see this getting fixed anytime soon. Fonts cannot be re sized.

Best thing I can say is lower your resolution so you can read the fonts better.

Idoru
02-10-12, 23:18
You do notice that these issues were brought up in 2006?

I don't see this getting fixed anytime soon. Fonts cannot be re sized.

Best thing I can say is lower your resolution so you can read the fonts better.

I noticed, thus the bump. I thought possibly there would be a solution posted elsewhere that I had not found yet. Guess not.

Bruder Malmsdoo
03-10-12, 00:58
You bring an important issue to the table bram!

Drachenpaladin
03-10-12, 04:05
O.o Maybe if you run NC on your TV-Screen. Though you should know that a ~10 year old game wasn't optimised for this...
Other than where is the font size too small? In chat? rly? What resolution do you run? 16kx12k? Cineon?

Bruder Malmsdoo
03-10-12, 05:06
1280x1024. When I do missions the text is a pain to read. And I need no glasses.

Dundonian
31-01-13, 03:49
Whats the chances of an updated chat bar / window ?

The thing I would love the most is to be able to increase the size of the chat text since I play the game at huge resolutions to make the game look better but the downside is it makes the chat text really small.

anyone else have any thoughts or ideas to improve on this?

Mokoi
31-01-13, 05:35
duplicate topic

-threads merged.

Dropout
31-01-13, 10:44
duplicate topic

-threads merged.

Dude... Dont you ever sleep? :p

Ivan Eres
31-01-13, 11:32
Dude... Dont you ever sleep? :p

Like the Batman :D

netster
31-01-13, 14:38
yes pls let us able to change the font size, maybe also add http://blogs.adobe.com/typblography/2012/09/source-code-pro.html ?

good point in to change font size, i would like to change the font aswell (

onero S
12-03-13, 09:07
This would be absolutely amazing, I have a friend who has dabbled with neocron and is basically unable to read chat due the the small font. Scaling it doesn't help much because it becomes very blurry (thus hard to read).

Cornhusker
12-03-13, 09:09
Likewise, I would love for this change to occur, having to play in a lower resolution just so I can barely read the text does get extremely annoying

onero S
14-03-13, 20:43
I'd just like to follow up again, after playing with said poor eyesighted friend for a while last night. The largest persistent issue is the chat box. While a lot of the hud is horribly hard to read, over time a player learns what things do and it's less of a big deal.

By far the most important things to make larger are:

1) Chat text
2) Team pointers and text
3) Names above selection box (like when you aim at another player).

The main hud itself is likely quite a bit of work to fix font size wise, but I would think that these three things wouldn't be too horribly hard.

[TgR]KILLER
15-03-13, 01:06
I'm all for making the font a little bigger.. Now when I started playing NC 10 years ago i had a 17" CRT monitor.. then it was all good lol.. nowadays everybody has a widescreen monitor so its being a pain to read stuff.

Lucky i know were to click on traders like the FSM and i haven't really done any missions @ all but still..

Netphreak
15-03-13, 18:22
Yeah, It is a bit of a struggle to read anything when playing NC @1600*1000 in windowed mode on a 15.6" laptop.

Chat text and trade window text would be my choices for being enlarged.

Assimilator
16-03-13, 02:00
Bump for solid change. Props to the dev team for getting high resolution textures to work native (I've always had an issue getting 1920x1080 full screen until the recent patches), now let's add proper text sizes for the high resolutions to the WIP list.:cool:

Strife
16-03-13, 03:39
/signed

Skasi
22-04-13, 15:23
Created my account nine years ago and here's my first post: Bumping this! Especially for new players who wanna do some starter missions. Upping font size for missions and the points onero S mentioned really shouldn't screw up the UI too badly, no?

eNTi
23-04-13, 11:16
this might be required for this fix anyway, but making buttons bigger at the same time would be neat too.