PDA

View Full Version : NC and NTL: Can KK help?

CMaster
30-04-06, 15:36
OK, synch bugs, notably the famed "50/80" bug. Vary annoying, certainly drive many people away from the game and make things like op-warring a lot more troublesome when it takes you ten minutes to leg between characters. Also reportedly taken advantage of for numerous nefarious purpouses. I'm sure we'd all like to see this fixed, and KK have been making steps (http://nc.synergyxr.net/info/patches/patchnote.php?id=106) to help us so I can only imagine they would liek to see this issue gone as well.

Now KK have always insisted that this is ISP related. They are correct - I've played over 3 differnt connection types - through a WAN to SuperJANET (awesome), over a wireless home network to ADSL and over a wired home network to NTL cable. The SuperJANET sufferd from very occasioanl dropouts, but otherwise excellent. The ADSL is connetced through a moody router that doesnt like thunderstorms, but apart from that synch bugs were a once-a-day experience rather than a 3-times-per-login one. Then the NTL. Average number of attempts to log in a character: 3, and I often end up playing with items missing from my inventory anyway, because thats the best I can manage.

But one person isnt really good evidence. It could be down to all sorts of things to do with my computer, my line, my varying network connections (hence why I mention them). So, I ask around. Those people who are always crying on vent about their login bugs. Those people who ask "WTF is a '50/80' bug?". Guess what, the (UK) players with constant synch problems, spoken to across numerous vent servers and in game are almost all NTL users. "NTL FTL" has become a phrase uttered whenever someone emtnions their synch problems. Meanwhile, those who don't expereinence such problems tend to be DSL or other cable.

So, NTL has problems with NC. It isn't entirely NTL's fault, as we can play other games fine (although I do get interesting lag spikes in DoD:Source, but I think this issue is a lot more unique), but there is certainly something that NTL do that causes a problem. If we can isolate this problem, maybe we can fix it. So, I ask KK - can you help us with this? Could you talk to NTL about getting it fixed or work out what we'd have to do to fix it? Do you need us to collect some data for you? If so, what kind of data and where should we send it?

I'd love to see this fixed, both from my own sake and the dozens of others who suffer from it. But I'm happy to help with the fixing, if KK also are.

giga191
30-04-06, 17:58
Yargh my ntl is shite too :(

Sick
30-04-06, 18:23
i was on NTL at the start of retail, and i would synch ALOT

the very first time i ran the game, i was stuck in a synch that no relog would fix..
i thought i had installed the game wrong... or that my game was configuring settings etc.... so i watched this "synchronising" for over 2 hours.
in the end i figured out i could put in a help ticket, i was told to log out and log back in an hour or so later hehe.

now i am on wanadoo or something.. and i very rarely synch when logging in (or randomly in the wastes as im running along :P )

sooo, maybe it is NTL :O or maybe it was just NC1 :P

CMaster
30-04-06, 18:24
No. It IS NTL. Theres enough datapoints to be confident of that. The question is why, and can we fix it.

Tratos
30-04-06, 18:26
Im on Nildram and i very very rarely get any sync issues when the internet is alive and well (i.e. when Level 3 isnt going tits up), i can even use my ingame e-mail as i've only gotten around 12 adviser mails (individual mails, not 12 occurances) since 2005.

Perhaps its similar to the issue with TalkTalk? As they upgraded their software (or whatever it was) which didnt like online games - perhaps the NTL gubbins just doesnt take kindly to Neocron, allowing you to pay other games.

giga191
30-04-06, 23:15
I get frequent problems while playing BF2 too, but luckily BF2 doesn't just fuck up and come up with a FRE message.

MkVenner
30-04-06, 23:51
Funny, I've been on NTL for years now, and I've never had a problem, not once. I used to get that sync bug from time to time, but not on a scale that caused me any major problems.

They're helpdesk has been helpful on the one time I needed them, and that problem turnt out to be my router, not them. Plus over the course of a year they've upgraded me from 512 to 2meg :p

Guess I'm just lucky :D

RusSki
01-05-06, 11:02
I've always used ntl due to the phone lines where i am not supporting broadband yet.
I get sync bugs but they seem to come in fits and bursts. One play session i might get alot, then next play session i might get none. Dont mind too much and besides later this year thye will be upgrading me again, this time to 10mb and it wont be costing me extra.

Also for some reason they have blocked me from accessing this forum directly. I have to route my connection thru a proxy in europe and no its not anything to do with kk as my house m8 has the same probs and i checked with kk.

giga191
01-05-06, 11:18
I never used to get synch bugs in NC1, too much server side stuff these days :(

pabz
01-05-06, 12:23
http://www.lies.com/feb96/021496.html

DIS
01-05-06, 13:17
I was on 512k ADSL, not a single issue... switched over to 10 meg NTL and I get the 50 synch bug everytime i log in, I sych nearly everytime i zone.. meaning I can see whats going on but cant move etc.
Always have stuff missing from gogo or inv etc.

It is very frustrating when I try and log in, sometimes it takes me 10 attempts to even get into the game adn by this time I am pulling my hair out :(

CHA0S
01-05-06, 23:38
Ive been and still with NTL never had a problem

(guess its gonna change now lol)

giga191
02-05-06, 00:14
Ive been and still with NTL never had a problem

(guess its gonna change now lol) What area do you live in?

Clobber
02-05-06, 10:47
I stopped playing partly due to the increase in sync bugs, login problems etc.
Could not even op war anymore thanks to just goin into a sync and having to relog which took 1298908908 attempts of course.

And yes im on NTL.

giga191
02-05-06, 12:10
kk are prolly smiling knowing that it's not entirely their fault

Riddle
02-05-06, 14:28
I have NTL line too.

Had shitloads of problems over last few months, all the usual suspects. 50/50 , no SL , No Cash , No inventory etc etc.

But hey i found a FIX!!

NO more logging in 10 times to get in game!
NO more Synching Out!
NO more Fatals!
I don't log in anymore :(

I'll be back just when its playable :angel:

james_finn
03-05-06, 23:22
Its interesting someone mentioned about the fact that when they upgraded to 10meg they got more sync problems, could it be due to the contention ratio, is NTL using a much higher ratio for people with larger pipes?

Im on NTL 2 meg and the last time I played I spent the evening logging in and out trying to get all my weapons, theres definatly something wrong with NTL.

Delphi