PDA

View Full Version : Monthly cost

optiplex
27-04-06, 23:23
I think they should lower the monthly cost. Until its like fully better with the updated things, it feel slike weve spent 2-3 years in beta.

Glok
27-04-06, 23:32
I was going to insult you but I like your sig so I couldn't. :(

Seriously, the cost is fine. How do you expect development to continue if KK shoots themselves in the foot by slicing sub costs? It might be like we are subsidizing the development of the game, but hell, I don't mind that idea. They just better not drop it before it's all done. :/

Nidhogg
27-04-06, 23:33
It's the nature of MMORPGs to evolve or die. That does not mean that what came before was beta.

N

RogerRamjet
27-04-06, 23:38
This isnt a dig or anything, but why did the sub from NC1 to NC2 go up?

Sick
27-04-06, 23:45
and why do you have to pay the initial "game purchase" cost again to get a 2nd account :/

surely you've already paid for the software?

Pantho
28-04-06, 00:39
Sick, Thats the same on ANY Game in the world - thats licensed i mean

If you want a Game installed our software on 2 machines, u need 2 licences... If you Want 2 Diablo 2 accounts, you buy 2 games

pabz
28-04-06, 00:47
i didnt see any major improvements :angel:

unreal
28-04-06, 00:57
Maybe the subscription fee should be compared to progress being made. Higher cost = more progress, content patches (more testing). Low cost = no regular patches that do anything worth while, hardly nothing regarding Events or Storyline, hardly anything being fixed, people leaving because of this.

Which that in mind, Neocron should be free. :D

Tratos
28-04-06, 01:00
Neocron is still really cheap - i fail to see how the tiny price rise could bother anyone O_o

Nidhogg
28-04-06, 01:01
Neocron is still really cheap - i fail to see how the tiny price rise could bother anyone O_o
Don't let the truth get in the way of a good troll.

N

cRazy-
28-04-06, 01:05

New hardware, each game realm is actually a lot of seperate servers all networked together, so it can cost a fair bit, usual price is $60,000-80,000 depending on the hardware but it can vary a lot.

Plus I asume KK worked on the principle of doing all this work to make a better game, therefore increasing fee's.

Either way its the reason I left just before Neocron 2 came out, if the price stayed the same I would of stayed to.

Nidhogg
28-04-06, 01:16
Either way its the reason I left just before Neocron 2 came out, if the price stayed the same I would of stayed to.
And here was me thinking you actually paid for all that spam.

N

SnAkE_BE
28-04-06, 04:52
It's the nature of MMORPGs to evolve or die. That does not mean that what came before was beta.

N

THEN EVOLVE DAMNIT "then i'll think about comming back"

Asurmen Spec Op
28-04-06, 04:56
12E is not that much, I dont know how it could be a problem(cept for a tight ass like niddy :P)

SnAkE_BE
28-04-06, 04:58
12E is not that much, I dont know how it could be a problem(cept for a tight ass like niddy :P)

count in the bugs and a weird FA clan leaderthat spoils everything for ppl she doesn't like.

Asurmen Spec Op
28-04-06, 06:45
Meh all games have bugs and retards, I tend to look past em, or shoot em

IceStorm
28-04-06, 07:23
I think they should lower the monthly cost.This must be an EU thing. Here, my monthy cost has stayed between 9 and 10 USD/mo for the life of NC (including NC1), primarly because I buy in six month blocks. You get a considerable discount for paying every six months.

From the past year's charges, C2P has charged me anywhere from $51 to $56 depending on the exchange rate. Surely the Euro cost should be something similar if you go to a 3 or 6 month plan?
New hardware, each game realm is actually a lot of seperate servers all networked together, so it can cost a fair bit, usual price is $60,000-80,000 depending on the hardware but it can vary a lot.How would you know? You're 16. You don't work in the industry. You're barely of legal working age in the UK.

Tratos
28-04-06, 08:54
How would you know?
The Neocron 'worlds' are multiple servers/machines.....

IceStorm
28-04-06, 10:02
The Neocron 'worlds' are multiple servers/machines.....I was talking more about costs, however how the physical machines/servers are put together is not quite as simple as saying x machines are assigned to y gameserver, from what I've heard over the years.

Dogface
28-04-06, 10:07
Crazy isn't 16.

NestorPL
28-04-06, 12:49

Well, in some places people with average wage need to work 6-10 hours to earn that much, in other places they need to work from 10 minutes to 1 hour, depends how far you stray north or west from center of europe.

Neocron charges as much a World Of Warcraft, which is superior in terms of graphics, client stability, content, world diversity, netcode and many other aspects.

The only things that WoW does not have are land-control FFA pvp and cyberpunk theme with mature content (currently, the low poly girls in pepper classify as a mature content, because drugs and violence are everywhere nowadays).

Lately i've been in DAOC trial, they gave 14 days of unlimited play, and after the end of trial period you just paid the monthly cost and continued the fun, no activation fees apply, and they distributed a full client with last 3 major expansions.

I think all of us agree that neocron needs funds for developement to move it forward, but maybe more clients paying less will be better than not-that-much paying slightly-more ? It IS a MMO after all, and lack of people on terra is noticable.

Lately i've been trying to convince few friends to play neocron with me.
First one stopped at account creation, "what? i have to make some silly c2p account, and give them all my data and autorise by phone.. screw that, sorry".

The second one is a NC1 vet and thought he'll give it a try, we've come close to end of our trial and the natural question came up "do we continue?".
- Well why not.. 12$ a month right?
- er, nope.. more like 15e
- crap, we're in EU now i guess..
- and 30e for account activation too..
- whaaaaa? No wai! This game is not worth THAT much, you know what.. give me time to think about it, like a week or so.

These are just a few examples of how the community out there looks like, and what it expects from a game and billing plans.

There's still so much wrong with the client itself :
Every time i tab out while being in wastelands/near MB my client crashes upon tabbing in. Yesterday when i tabbed out for 2h and tabbed in my comp just rebooted itself. I have 2 gigs of ram and a good GFX card, and sometimes when i fire a weapon i get 7fps, sometimes memory leaks kick in and i get like 300/2400mb free. When i try to hack a warbot i need to run around and find the exact pixel i have to hit because otherwise the hacktool wont work. Sometimes when i switch from my rifle to psi heal i have to click manically all around the screen like a retarded chimp to fire off the heal, and sometimes that's instant. There's the annoying desert wind that cant be turned off, there's zoning, and many many other things i may not know about or forgot to mention.

Sure it's work, sure it's a long developement process and all the hardware, payrolls and other things are expensive, but even if you try that hard and come out with a product that is not really comparable to current market you shouldnt charge as much as others.

Personally, i think that neocron would be better with lowered costs and more players. If you have low prices, some people might try it just for the heck of it, since its cheaper than all products, and can be fun too. :angel:

Bugs Gunny
28-04-06, 12:59
I agree with nestorpl.

Zheo
28-04-06, 13:27
Personally, i think that neocron would be better with lowered costs and more players. If you have low prices, some people might try it just for the heck of it, since its cheaper than all products, and can be fun too. :angel:

The problem is this: If you lower the cost, and start losing money, you have to hope you draw in enough people quick enough to start making money again. Also there is inflation etc, I pay rough £7.50 per month, which is just under 1.5 hours work. If neocron has a total of say 1000 accounts then that is. £7500 per month if they have ten staff, then their staff get £750 per month which is less than me quit a bit less really. So in reality paying £7.5 doesnt seem that much to me really and if you buy yearly you get a discount so you save some of that money.

It would be nice to play neocron for free and have everything bug fixed in hours but I don't really see that happening. At the end of the day Reakktor do not force you to pay or play so it's up to you :)

Bugs Gunny
28-04-06, 13:31
For £750 i wouldn't even pick up a phone or start up a computer.
I'm sure they make quite a bit more than that.

Sick
28-04-06, 13:57
Sick, Thats the same on ANY Game in the world - thats licensed i mean

If you want a Game installed our software on 2 machines, u need 2 licences... If you Want 2 Diablo 2 accounts, you buy 2 games

your wrong.

and it wasnt that way in NC1

Bugs Gunny
28-04-06, 13:59
I believe it was like that in nc1 too.

Sick
28-04-06, 14:05
hahah well i guess i owe KK some cash then lol :D

Nidhogg
28-04-06, 14:43
Our business model is that the client software itself isn't what you're actually paying for, it's the account that you use (excepting, of course, distribution and packaging costs for the boxed version). This means that you can install the software on multiple machines to play the same account if you wish. Also, since it's the account you're paying for you have to pay again for further accounts, even though you don't need any more software.

N

/edit - you can extend this to situations that for ordinary single/multi player games would be obviously illegal. For example, we're happy for you to burn copies of the client and hand them around. ;)

Asurmen Spec Op
28-04-06, 16:03
Neocron charges as much a World Of Warcraft, which is superior in terms of graphics, client stability, content, world diversity, netcode and many other aspects.

The only things that WoW does not have are land-control FFA pvp and cyberpunk theme with mature content (currently, the low poly girls in pepper classify as a mature content, because drugs and violence are everywhere nowadays).

I honestly have to disagree with the 'superiority' of world of warcraft. But thats just me.
especially content :wtf:

Dogface
28-04-06, 16:20
I'd rather cut my own head off than play wow again for as long as I did.

[edit]

WoW content is just the same dungeon over and over and over with different skins with item rewards that all do the same thing.

giga191
28-04-06, 16:33
The price elasticity of demand is between -1 to 0, so it would be a bad move for KK, financially (yes, i just had an economics lesson)

Tratos
28-04-06, 16:46
For example, we're happy for you to burn copies of the client and hand them around. ;)
But i doubt Atari are :lol:

Hmmm... need some cheap DVDs, short list of instructions and go giving them out in shopping centres, lol

Uho
28-04-06, 17:03
Yay! i forced myself to be fool and subscribed myself to paybycash after
2 of my accounts were closed since january. I had to pay Subscription fee for
both 15e a piece... other than that price is ok but the fee for old and active player is kinda bs.... :o

Uho
28-04-06, 17:03
Not to mention.. money is gone and guess what? :P

neither one works yet :(

NestorPL
28-04-06, 17:14
I honestly have to disagree with the 'superiority' of world of warcraft. But thats just me.
especially content :wtf:

Well, compare a trip from NC to TH with trip from say auberdine to crossroads..

Don't get me wrong, im not saying wow is a better game, i've played it way too much and at the end it lacks the world aspect. No developing lore, no land control, no meaningfull world pvp etc etc.

One thing is sure, you cant deny wow's superiority from artistic point of view. The ammounts of different dungeons, cities, high detailed textures and so on.

Neocron has opwars, clanwars and other stuff like that, decent and usefull crafting system and other additions, thats why i play it :)