PDA

View Full Version : Learning Psi

anzha
25-04-06, 14:55
So...very new here, I've made a few characters to feel things out and my first question (from a very limited experience with the game, anyway ) is ...if I don't *start* as a psimonk, it appears that I can't get PSI to level. I even made a character specifically for the purpose of jacking the psi-implant off of them and putting it on a spy, to do some of the ppu buffing and whatnot, but as I start with 2 psi points ...I can't really cast anything ;P Someone said Id get a bit from team xp, so I enterprisingly created a char that used psi on my boyfriend's account, and ran around trying to kill things with both characters - and still couldn't manage to get the psi to get even a single point of xp. Do I just need to wait until I can find implants/drugs/etc. to get those first few points to cast say, the first energy bolt, and go from there? Or am I missing something?

Sylow
25-04-06, 15:13
There is a little trick: do missions.

For every completed mission, you get XP for each stat, also those which you did not use. That way, a spy or tank can get Psi maxed out pretty fast.

I advise to go for some places like abandoned storage or the likes. Check them out first, wich mobs (mutants, rats, bees, whatever) you find frequently in the place you took a look at, go to a mission terminal and get a mission on those animals. Take 5 down and you got some Psi-Experience.

Glok
25-04-06, 15:33
Only monks can gain psi xp directly, PEs can get it in a team, and spies need to do missions, same with tanks, though KK is planning to completely remove psi from tanks. But go ahead and get psi for your tank if you have one, it might be a while. ;)

anzha
25-04-06, 21:55
But once I have a *bit* of psi from having missioned, can I then learn it directly by using it? Or not at all?

Glok
25-04-06, 22:22
Nope, they removed xp from using passive psi a long time ago (except parashock I think... but don't bother trying to level psi with that) and all chars other than psi monks will want pure passive psi use.

edit: Oh, there are the creature focus modules, aka soulclusters, you could try those after you get a bit of psi specced. Don't expect any miracles though, they are pretty weak. You could just cast one every time it despawns in the course of hunting with your regular weapons to slowly build your psi.

Napalm82
26-04-06, 10:05
If you are a Spy/Tank i'd personally suggets getting a few levels through missions early (Say up to PSI 4-5) so you can use the very basic PPU spells (Heal/Deflector/some boosters) then just level normally for a while untill you decide to cap your PSI by doing a lot of Hard or Very Hard missions.

If you are a PE, try to get in a team every chance you get to build up your PSI.

If you are a monk...well...kill shit :D

I guess it all comes down to how you look at PSI, i see it as a nice skill to have, but i'd rather grind a bit and get that next weapon and just use medkits for a while, even with the 4-5 PSI the healing you get from it wont exactly be that great.

And in case you dont know (If you wanted PSI for free healing) you can "clone" medkits, heres how ya do it:

Get 20 points in Recycle (Under DEX)
Get a TL 30 recycle tool
get a medkit
Kill stuff and take trash from them (Trash is what looks like garbage bags when you throw it on the ground)
Put the medkit in the first slot of your processor (F7) the tool in the next and then fill it with trash (Large limbs for example are good, bug eyes aint that great) press start at tadaah, you have free medkits, the amount you get depends on the "quality" of the trash, to find out what trash is great, take it to YO's, the more he'll pay the better it is.

You can also clone ammo and boosters

- Nap

Scanner Darkly
30-04-06, 09:53
Aye what these guys said. I usually capped psi on a spy around Military Base bunker doing 'very hard' Cyclops missions for my faction. It's pretty quick getting to the PSI 20 cap.

The advantage of this is, that if you do it at a reasonably low level (lets say dex 30-40), you get a decent amount of experience in all your other stats, before you go off and fight bigger and badder mobs (such as those in caves, warbots, decayed mobs, fire mobs, etc).

Pantho
30-04-06, 12:07
BEST WAY, And leas boring -

Spy -

Get 4-5 from Aggressor missions (plaza 1-2 dungeons)
Then Cap them by doing your EPIC , one epic got me from 0 to 9 PSI, 3 epics caps on a spy

PE

Same as spy, Expect try to get into some TEAMS with PSI monks and other clases.

Tank

I use purly med-kits on my new tank, until i was /33 then i took alot of drugs and did my epic, got to psy 9 :) and cap is 10.