PDA

View Full Version : Rifle expertise question.

NestorPL
24-04-06, 19:36
Avast ye lads, im at 59 dex atm, rifle spy. And i have a major problem with choosing the most effective weaponry that would blend the max damage and xp growth.

Here's what happened.

I had a TL40 laser rifle, 4 slotted, it cut through aggie cellar like hot knife through butter. At TL48 i though i'll give a try to a shop liquid fire rifle (plasma), because everyone told me "screw cst, just get shop rifles and level with those, because you gonna change them ever so often".
So i tried it.. and it blowed, i mean.. no wonder people say you level spy with drones when you get shop rifles that bad. Not only it took it good few seconds to lock on, it shot half of ammo into the ceiling at melee range, used heaps of cells for each shot and did piss-all damage, and on top of that grinding with TL40 was faster, cheaper, and more fun. I could even snipe cyclops at MB bunker with it.

Then i hit TL56.. yay a good rifle finally. Yea right, fusion rifle blows. I need to keep mobs at almost fog range to get full damage, because at close range it does half damage, slow fire rate and shoots 30% of ammo into the sky, despite crouching, 120 R-C, 90 T-C and 120 WEP, not mentioning it was CST'ed and sadly only one slot with cooled cell mod.

Now i hit TL59 and got the raygun. The design is awesome, by far its the best looking gun i had in my hands. Sadly its the bloody opposite of the fusion rifle. Raygun is a MELEE GUN. The closer you stand, the more damage you do. Sure i can tank aggie cellar with my 32 str and Mk2 battle armor and reinforcements, but tanking MB bunker with that is a no no.

So after the rant here's the real deal :

What should i use now? Stick with awful fusion rifle and try to kill cyclops with 15 shots per kill (if there's no farming group there that kills them before i can get a lock), or maybe i should CST the raygun (it has really good damage) and go melee aggie cellar or some other similar spot? Or maybe there is another NORMAL rifle (by normal i mean that range does not modify the damage) in 1-2 levels range that would allow happy levelling for me?
According to HEW, next rifle is lightbringer something, TL67, and after that i think i'll need to start visiting TH for new weaponry.

Any advice from the vets?

SorkZmok
24-04-06, 20:03
Get a tangent epic rifle. Needs 75 dex. I don't know about the prices, you could always go change faction to TT (needs 300k and 50 symp with TT) and do it yourself. The rifle comes slotted with artifact (all 120) condition and can be repaired to 120/120.
What's your base dex? Because around 55-60 you could easily get lvl 3 implants from biotech to get to 75 dex.

NestorPL
24-04-06, 20:20
I'm 58 ATM, any average prices on Lv3 BT implants and TT epic rifle?

Good spot for grinding cash would be appreciated too. Currently im doing aggie cellar missions + loot runs, selling all the crap at YO's. Used to yield 50-60k nc per hour ;]

Tesee
25-04-06, 15:06
1) you need to be carefull, there is a difference between :
being able to use a weapon,
and
being good with that weapon
if your damage % is too low with a weapon, maybe yoiu should use another one.

2) each weapons is to be used in a different way:
fusion weapon are very good from high range but of course on mobs that runs fast it is a misery.

weapons like rayguns are very very good at close range .

a good compromize are the laser weapon, if you don't want to change weapon everytime, choose laser weapon (the one firing one shot laser ray)

they have very good range (even pistols) and good damages

Tesee
25-04-06, 15:10
I would add :
rifle is a long term vision skill...

There are many many different rifles,
many implants that modifies your skill,

Rifles requires high to scores to master (cap) weapons...

So don't worry, be patient,

rifles, in the hands of a good spy are fucking GOOD weapons.

A good sniper is to be feared in OP wars and don't let any chance to most mobs.

NestorPL
25-04-06, 15:18
Finally i went with CST'ed raygun and i melee cyclops at mb. It turned out that i can tank like 3 straight missiles from a cyclop easily, and they drop in like 12 shots.

Selfbuffed i have 120 WEP, 120 R-C, 90 T-C

I'm gonna try getting as many +5 dex implants as possible and get my hands on some TL 67-75 guns.

A little note here : if you're grinding mutants at MB bunker, dont pull warbot titans when you do 14dmg to them a shot, for christs sake!

Bugs Gunny
25-04-06, 15:50
Go to the north of J02, there's a fenced off area there with a gogo inside. Launchers all to yourself.
Keep the loot from them it's worth a LOT.

Use the laserrifles and the lowtech automatic rifles between the levels.
ALLWAYS have them built by a constructor and put in mods in this order:

Ammo (in your case firemodded, but when leveling in chaos caves xray)
frequencymod
dammagemod

Once you get ot use the tangent commando rifle, try to snipe warbots and hack them (you'll need 60 hack specced, some people can do less, but you are not that experienced at hacking). Sell the rareparts T, L and E for 50-60k each to players.

Best rifle is the healing light. Once you can use that buy green dragon drugs, use a tl10 heal and jump in the swampcaves or in the chaos caves and solo the place.

NestorPL
25-04-06, 17:50
Sir, yes sir! Thanks for advice :)

Crashtec
25-04-06, 20:51
Are green dragon drugs recyclable or researchable?

Bredahl
06-05-06, 02:42
Are green dragon drugs recyclable or researchable?
nope that gonna cost you pretty much to use, i would just go for a poison belt (at least medium poison belt though).. thats what i use in swampcaves on my spy and if you just use your brain a little you should do just fine with that. ;)
for swampcaves: STAY IN THE WATER! :lol: the poison stacks will get you killed very fast if you arent in the water..

sry for my shitty english im drunk and im tired :angel: