PDA

View Full Version : Neocron psychology - Clans

cRazy-
24-04-06, 05:46
Clans are an important part of Neocrons community and game mechanics. Finding a new clan is often the next step after capping or getting a character to an acceptable level, however this can vary.

Clan types

There are a few main types of clan characteristic, these are as follows:

The Resourceful clan

This is a clan which always has an ample supply of resources for members, usually from the clan leader. Making a point of this often makes the clan more appealing. Since the person is resourceful he/she may also be fairly popular in-game as well as a number of other characteristics which makes a hybrid clan (this we will look at later), therefore its common to find experienced players with limited funds joining this clan as well as well funded players because they respect the hospitality the clan offers.

The clan of friends
This is often a closely knit clan compromised of many long-term friends. This type of clan is usually small in size and new members are not as common as other clans. It also very often uses Voice chat programs such as Ventrilo and Teamspeak. This clan may also often do game related activites together, such as hunting, farming rares, PvP'ing etc, As well as create and level new characters together. This enclosed group of players with the use of Voicechat means players usually progress to know eachother very well, and even in some circumstances organise real life clan meetings.

The newbie helpers
This type of clan is very rare and usually unsuccessful. New players may join but before they are powerful enough to start collecting any decent amount of resources they often leave to join other bigger and more tempting clans. Because of this and the clan founders depleting resources, the clan eventually idles off and dies.

The big one, latest fad
There are two types of big clan. The 'latest fad' clan is the one which is the new talk of the community. Often it is created by a select group of players, usually good at PvP who get bored and decide to make a large clan in usually an unused faction (such as DRE, CA etc). Due to the almost famous names founding the clan, many new members flock to it and in a very short space of time this becomes one of the biggest clans around. It is almost definatly the same people who flock to these latest fad clans, and when the current clan dies, they move onto the next. 'Latest fad' clans are usually one or two at a time but are always forming, one after the other.

However big these clans are they are usually at the forefront of Outpost wars, the big names of the clan (usually the most immature and crudest in their insults) lead the 'PR' on OOC channels, argueing with other latest fad clans about 'zergs', 'ninja hacking' and soforth. These clans may be big but they are very unstable. Latest fad clans tend not to last more then a few months, with the leader(s) getting bored/becoming inactive and eventually disbanding. This usually happens very suddenly and once this does happen it is common for the big names of the clan to form another 'latest fad' clan streight after, this is the cycle of this type of clan.

The big one, long term
These clans are rare, but strong. They often recieve the same treatment as latest fad clans from the community but remain intact for many months or even years. This is usually because of long-term members (long-term leaders or co-leaders are the key to a long term clan). These clans dont often get many new members because whilst being a large clan, it remains closely knit. The players of these clans usually use a lot of alts and all have their own seperate resources, as well as active PvP this eliminates much of the reason why people leave in search for other clans. Because of this the long term clan can remain active for very long periods of time.

the PvP clan

This type of clan is usually very small and highly selective of its members. Leaders are usually friendly, have common sense and the ability to respect other peoples views and opinions in a mature manner. Clans such as this are often gain a reputation as a PvP clan, sometimes to the point of knowing whats in store for you when you encounter someone from such a clan. However these clans sometimes do not last very long, because of the small amount and selectiveness of players once they become inactive the clan starts to die off quickly. Usually when this happens the remaining amount of the clan merge with another clan, or form a 'latest fad' clan, usually with the people who have recently disbanded from such a clan.

Hybrid
This type of clan is a mixture of any of the above types. Common hybrids we see in the current gaming situation are:

PvP clan as a latest fad with the closeknit group of friends
PvP clan which is resourceful and a new fad

There are few because larger new fad clans tend not to be as resourceful to their members as smaller ones, and because of the larger member base, PvP ability can vary.

I'll finish this off tomorrow with some stuff about the type of players which join different clans.

(As a side note dont start comparing the types of clans ive mentioned to ones ingame on this thread, I am sure if you think it out you can pinpoint which clans you know of fit which catagory, so keep it to yourself).

Pantho
24-04-06, 05:50
Sorry, but i dont agree with some of that, but im 2 busy to comment properly tbh

Apocalypsox
24-04-06, 06:05
fairly explains it. but you forgot the part about the Pheonix LTD. clan type :p

cRazy-
24-04-06, 06:09
Thats a hybrid of a clan of friends and a resourceful clan I would say.

Koshinn
24-04-06, 07:02

/agreed

You could add in an RP clan type, though that'd probably fall in around newbie helping and clan of friends. Then again maybe not. :confused:

Kame
24-04-06, 08:27
remarkable work there.

Necpock
24-04-06, 08:32
Pretty much sums it up

RogerRamjet
24-04-06, 10:04
lol, across all my chars im in all clan types.

Uho
24-04-06, 10:13
Cant fit ff into any of those categories :O

LiL T
24-04-06, 10:34

I'd say FF fits into the big one but people like me who have never been a member of FF, can only guess. Imo FF is an old school clan, with a select few who have worked there way through the ranks. The select few is what keeps the clan active, most of FF members are inactive and I'm thinking I'm right on that point. I'm also thinking they are very close friends that are on the same vent/TS server, to the point were they play other games together. Therefore when there major outposts are under attack they can all log on for the PVP and to keep them at the top.

I fall under the small PVP RP clan, yes RP....... :o

/edit I think fetish were the first clan to ever really mix strong PVP with decent roleplay. I remeber the Black cartel members saying they were roleplaying drug dealers and thugs. Which was nice but they never really got involved with events and kill the leader of neocron ^_^ I might be wrong though.

<3 F.E.T.I.S.H

sanityislost
24-04-06, 10:39
think im in the hyb area...could be wrong tho :D

SiL ..:..

eLcHi
24-04-06, 10:48

Of course you can nibcake :P

We are a friends / resourceful / big-one long term hybrid clan :)

Edit: Lil T hit the spot i`d say :)

Only thing i can say: FF Clanmeeting - Amsterdam - July 2006 :P

giga191
24-04-06, 11:33
the PvP clan

This type of clan is usually very small and highly selective of its members. Leaders are usually friendly, have common sense and the ability to respect other peoples views and opinions in a mature manner. Clans such as this are often gain a reputation as a PvP clan, sometimes to the point of knowing whats in store for you when you encounter someone from such a clan. However these clans sometimes do not last very long, because of the small amount and selectiveness of players once they become inactive the clan starts to die off quickly. Usually when this happens the remaining amount of the clan merge with another clan, or form a 'latest fad' clan, usually with the people who have recently disbanded from such a clan. Just to add to this. They tend to disband due to being the most effected by bugs due to the large amount of pvping they do.

LiL T
24-04-06, 13:26
I love your sig giga :(

giga191
24-04-06, 13:31
I found it looking through the NC forum archive, it's one the the earliest threads there.

Uho
24-04-06, 13:34
i like that amok weirdos going postal.. :O
very much hits to the point :O

Bugs Gunny
24-04-06, 15:20
Carebear paradise... yeah, that's it.

Mr Kot
24-04-06, 15:22
Hats off to Crazy- for the astute observations there :)

Although you missed one thing:

Latest fad clans tend not to last more then a few months, with the leader(s) getting bored/becoming inactive and eventually disbanding. This usually happens very suddenly..the other reason of course is that a lot of "fad" clans tend to suffer from mass bannage. Given the mentality of the members of these clans, once one member starts using some kind of illegal client hack, it gets passed around the clan faster than a foot long spliff :wtf:

Brammers
24-04-06, 16:04
fairly explains it. but you forgot the part about the Pheonix LTD. clan type :p

Crazy- I think Apocalypsox is asking where the Roleplay fits in. :p

But yeah thats pretty accurate summary, got a few long time friends in Phoenix and also some friends outside Phoenix. I would normally add that we also PvP a little when we got the people, but at the moment a lot Phoenix is doing other things. (Partly because of the balance and bug issues)

giga191
24-04-06, 17:06
MJS is my hero now, i thought he was just some asshole with a rollex. WE WANT YOU BACK MJS, WE LOVE YOU REALLY!!

pabz
24-04-06, 19:11
Just to add to this. They tend to disband due to being the most effected by bugs due to the large amount of pvping they do.
lol :angel: I need examples of each :P

LiL T
24-04-06, 20:14
i like that amok weirdos going postal.. :O
very much hits to the point :O

You and your type very much annoy me...

Faid
25-04-06, 04:09
Great post there Crazy, lol I can just picture you going around to different clans' vent servers quietly taking notes on how they act and react to the community :p

solling
25-04-06, 10:04
very sharp post

and omg FF meet FTW