PDA

View Full Version : [OT] College work - Networks -

Pantho
24-04-06, 02:50
- As righting this i havnt slept in 36 hours, got a major 40 page assingment due in 7 hours, going at the rate of 4 pages an hour, and im on page 3 , lol..

I have chosen to setup this project for my unti 21 iva (which has to be in hmmm 7 hours :/ ) ,anyways dam neocron lol...

anyways ive picked a Training center type of area, ive decided its going to have around 170 computers, 4 training rooms, 1 staff room, 5 managerial rooms,

The managerial rooms are going to have 4 devices per room, and all conenect into 2 Switch, each of the 4 training rooms are going to ahve 30 devices and connect to a switch, Same goes with the staff room, 20 devices.

So. I think im going to have each
Switch act as Star type network, and connect to a bus, so a Star - buss topology, i hope im right with doing this, im also going to connect it the JANET for a inernet connection.

but my mind is BLANK, as to what type of servers they can have, DNs, Login Server, E-Mail server, file Server, DHCP Server, What else? plz

NestorPL
24-04-06, 03:33
Terminal Server (windowseseseseses)
File Server/RAID Storage Matrix
Web Server
*NIX servers with shell access and tools, basically another type of terminal server
Render Farm/Auxilliary servers/devices

Topology looks more or less ok. I'd make this a tree structure, with leaf nodes being the student/staff workstations, and nodes being the switches, and servers being attached to the root node, remember to put the servers on gigabit link, and at least 100mbit on inter-node connections. I've seen this implementation gone bad :)

Pantho
24-04-06, 03:47
lol. my main problem im stuck on is this bulletpoint -

"compare a range of networks which could be used for the selected projects"

what does this mean? compare Tology's or wot ;/ ,,

suppose it doesnt help i havnt attended a Unit 21 class in 4 months :/

EDIT - this is my assignment btw, im on Task 2, its gotta be in inn errr 6 more hours Link meh (http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:-h6Cv15G-KMJ:www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualContent/45590/NC_ND_ITP__SS__LI.pdf+%22Part+a:+Unit+21+Networking+Project%22&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=1&client=firefox-a)

and WTF does this mean, lol

O_o Identification and explanation of any physical constraints associated with a range of
network options

2nd Edit- Only PART A in 6 hours, btw. come on , Network pplz, helps me

IceStorm
24-04-06, 06:41
Eh, if it's not mission critical, stick it all on a single Cisco 6509 with a Sup720 or a Sup32. You can shove up to eight 48-port RJ-45 cards in a 6509, not including the Supervisor. Long as you aren't going more than 100 meters from the 6500 to the furthest point in your network, it should be fine. Segment each room by VLAN, but scatter them across modules so when one module dies (and it will), you don't lose a whole classroom. Same goes for the other groups.

If you don't want one box tanking (and it will) to take out your whole network, you could go the diversification route with a couple of 6509's configured as pure L2 switches, then use a couple midrange routers with GigE links, like 7206VXRs w/ NPE-G1 "brains".

If your ISP handoff is not Ethernet, you'll need a WAN interface of some sort. Flexwan cards are available on the 6500 to provide WAN support, but they'll chew up a whole slot for what is essentially a glorified VIP carrier bridged up to a 6500 backplane. 7206VXR and lesser routers have a wide range of WAN cards available.

Security, I'd use ACLs to lock down what the labs can access. Might want to stop labs from accessing each other and the administrator subnets. Not hard. If you want to get really picky, you can lock down ports by MAC address, either statically, through a tool that manages the ports, or by first attached device (port "learns" the first device and only allows it to attach from there onward).

Physical constraints are what I said earlier - the radius from your switch to the furthest physical port you'll be attaching. Unless you're made of glass, you'll be using copper cabling for all this (other than maybe the GigE to the servers and between the routers/switches if you go diversified). If two of your classrooms are back to back, but the other three are 200 meters down a hall, with the administrator and other networks in the middle, you'll need to use at least three switches unless you want to use copper-to-fiber converters on one or both ends. Keep in mind that if you go with three L2 switches and two L3 routers, you'll have several options in how you wire things together. Probably want to go with wiring the routers to each switch and running an inter-router link between the routers.

On our floors, we have floor closets for floor switches that go out to user desktops. They're positioned so that no floor jack is more than 100 meters from the switch. Then we use fiber to bring the floor (access layer) switches back to distribution switches, then finally more fiber to bring the distribution switches back to our core routers. It's a pretty standard topology. The only major variance was whether or not the access switches were linked together and each switch went back to one distribution, or if each access went back to two distributions and weren't attached to each other. All our new deployments use the latter. The U got phased out in favor of the V.

Pantho
24-04-06, 06:46
Ok, that sounds awesome, But chances of my tutor letting me say that is, err well.

anyways ive got it all sorted now i think, apart from one of the bullet points, :/

also finding busness license's for 160 copys of windows XP OEM , is kinda tricky atm.