PDA

View Full Version : hey guys need help with internet

NAPPER
15-04-06, 17:43
ok guys im moving out of my mum and dads house and moving in with 3 mates just wondering what internet you guys use and whats the best cos i was on telewest but they dont do it in the area where im moving to so if you can could you tell me what internet you use and how much in england btw

many thanks NAPPER (nick)

Tratos
15-04-06, 17:44
I r with Nildram, no complaints with them personally - just re-graded to 3meg BB too with them since they offer the up to 8meg BBMax stuff.

ROZZER187
15-04-06, 17:54
you would have to use dsl m8 if they dont have cable up there.
btw get back to work you lazy hoe.

if all else fails you could go for the 56k hahahahaha

NAPPER
15-04-06, 17:58
you would have to use dsl m8 if they dont have cable up there.
btw get back to work you lazy hoe.

if all else fails you could go for the 56k hahahahaha

dude i am working how much is that a month roz

ROZZER187
15-04-06, 18:01
depends which isp your gonna use.
i mean most of em are shite but if your in an area without cable you dont really have much choice. if you get on with BT (not biotech before anyone tries to be smart :lol: )

they send you a package, think its about 20-30 quid a month not sure on the connection speed though but its not too bad i used to get around 100 ping at the most.

Jodo
15-04-06, 18:04
Give Bulldog a look. 8meg for about £25 per month or so I think. I haven't checked in a while though. BUT, get confirmation from the operator/representative you speak to that you're within a suitable range from the nearest station or you'll lose a lot of speed. Can't stress that enough.

ROZZER187
15-04-06, 18:05
i thought they had cable at nether edge :wtf:

RusSki
15-04-06, 18:15
Give Bulldog a look. 8meg for about £25 per month or so I think. I haven't checked in a while though. BUT, get confirmation from the operator/representative you speak to that you're within a suitable range from the nearest station or you'll lose a lot of speed. Can't stress that enough.

No point. Might aswell go for bt if u cant get cable, cos bulldog are gonna be using the bt line that you will also be paying for. And u will only get 8mb if the bt lines in your area support it.
BT is running its upto 8mb service now and you will atleast get 2mb (maybe more). I think that costs approx £25 aswell.

And yes distance from your exchange can make alot of difference. I live out in the sticks but i'm lucky to have an exchange not far away, that means there are far less potential customers who are gonna be able to use my exchange compared to living in a city which reduces to amount of performance degradation when ppl get back from work and start surfing

On a side not if u can get telewest or ntl or whatever sister company it is up there, then for like £32 u get a landline which u can make free calls with, to local area codes (thats the area code your in or any adjoining area code) up to an hour per call (just hang up and redial before the hour is up to continue the free call)
You also get their base tv package which is the freeview channels plus some others like sky1 and shit like that. You get their ondemand tv thing which is kinda cool and u get a 2mb broadband line.

Now cmon 3 lads living together ur gonna want to watch the simpsons and the footie and ur gonna want the internet. And a phone line for ordering the take out pizza :)

And no i dont work for ntl/telewest

Edit : My bad the 3 for £30 offer is not 2mb broadband. Thats something they offer to existing long term customers (like myself hehe)

http://www.home.ntl.com/page/3for30new?PURL=ntlbroadband.at/affili8newmedia&P36=3LEY6H&CID=0&CTY=8
here is a link to it anyway, most cable suppliers will have the same or similar offer

And Teh bt stuff
http://www.bt.com/broadband/bb_info.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1379059855.1145118486@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccfaddhhmdgdgmcflgcefkdffndflk.0&obsNoSee=Y&vStore=1128&obsPage=/index.jsp&obsType=LINK&obsOID=99101

Redburn
16-04-06, 05:19
A little off subject, but anyone from the USA using FIOS yet?? Verizon is active in my town putting up the fiber-optic cables.. Sounds like heaven 15Mb down 2Mb up for the second tier package.

RusSki
16-04-06, 15:56
Yep and thats the reason i hate all internet users outside of the uk :lol:

Go on you might aswell make me really unhappy and tell me how much it costs :)

RogerRamjet
16-04-06, 16:17
Id go for BT.

woOpin
16-04-06, 16:48
Best I seen was ADSL2 Trials by NTL was giving out 18mb Down but only 512kb Up :(

RusSki
16-04-06, 17:12
Yeah and that prolly only applies to less than 5% of its total possible customer base

woOpin
16-04-06, 20:22
try 0.1% id go with BT lol seen as most ADSL go throught BT now :P

Scanner Darkly
16-04-06, 22:23
I'm with Euro Fast Hosting: average speeds but affordable pricing. Due to my particular requirements I'm paying £16/month for uncapped 512k/256k. http://www.efhbroadband.com/
I'm pretty happy with this ISP, as it doesn't have any of the bullshit attached to some other adsl companies - unlimited means just that.

A friend of mine has been with Freedom2Surf (http://www.freedom2surf.net/) for about three years now and has given them nothing but glowing reviews. You'll have to get your own modem/router tho...

Hope this helped a little.

Redburn
17-04-06, 05:23
Yep and thats the reason i hate all internet users outside of the uk :lol:

Go on you might aswell make me really unhappy and tell me how much it costs :)

for the basic 5M down 2M up it's $39 USD, for the next level 15M down 2M up it's $49 USD that's per month and if got money to burn 30M down and 5M up will cost you $179 USD

LaZyBoY
17-04-06, 06:17