PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Requirements?

Tratos
15-04-06, 15:58
The neocron site lists the minimum requirements as this:

Minimum configuration:

* Pentium III 1.4 GHz or equivalent

* 256 MB RAM

* Direct3D-compatible video card with at least 32 MB

* 56.6K Internet connection

* Windows 95B/98/2000/ME/XP

* DirectX 9 or higher

* DirectSound-compatible sound card

Anyone got NC2 running on anything less than that?

I've got a 700MHz AMD sitting here which i use to go and MSN and stuff while i play game on my main box and i was wondering if NC2 would run on it so i can log my poker when nothing much is going on and get some monehs while i play on Oblivion or something on the main machine.

I've copied over my Neocron 2 directory from my main machines (was told this would work, no need to download and install) and the launcher loads and i can configure the game but when i click to play the game i get the black window which usually comes up (task bar etc still visible) then it just disapears and the launcher is left sitting there, if my shitty 700mhz box will run it, what could have gone wrong with the client?

EDIT: My crap box meets the requirements and goes above them in everything but the CPU.

Any help appreciated.

Paper Dragon
15-04-06, 16:00
My old - as in positively ancient - system had specs somewhere around that level; the game was on minimum detail, and looked terrible, but I could run about in the Aggressor Cellars quite comfortably.

For poking and tradeskilling, I don't see it being a hugely uncomfortable experience.

Tratos
15-04-06, 16:03
For poking and tradeskilling, I don't see it being a hugely uncomfortable experience.
Thats purly what im gonna do, i dont even think im going to zone, lol

Paper Dragon
15-04-06, 16:12
Thats purly what im gonna do, i dont even think im going to zone, lol

Then STFU and go for it. :p

Tratos
15-04-06, 16:16
The answer my client problems, lol :p

I've copied over my Neocron 2 directory from my main machines (was told this would work, no need to download and install) and the launcher loads and i can configure the game but when i click to play the game i get the black window which usually comes up (task bar etc still visible) then it just disapears and the launcher is left sitting there, if my shitty 700mhz box will run it, what could have gone wrong with the client?
Ran a file check and all that jazz, still fecked.

Paper Dragon
15-04-06, 16:19
Oh, er, whoops. In that regard I have no solution.

XD

Are you sure it's not your firewall popping up "behind" the box?

athon
15-04-06, 16:27
Have you checked the NC directory for any logs which might help?

Also, try going to "configure" then "hardware" (or whatever it is - it's something like that) on the launcher and making sure your graphics details are good.

elGringo
15-04-06, 16:30
used to play on

duron 1.1 ghz
768 MB DDR
Geforce2mx (the 'light' edition of the gf2 chip)

... op fights were a bit of a hassle .. but apart from that it ran ok and suprisingly a lot more stable than what other ppl report.

..check wether vsync is enabled and make sure that the resolution and refresh rate matches your desktop environment (e.g. 800x600x16 ).

Tratos
15-04-06, 16:50
New info!

I turned the intro and extro splash screens back on so it does actually play them, it then gets to the epilepsy(sp?) warning and sits there (its the loading screen so i expect it to) then the client dies.

Redburn
15-04-06, 16:54
The neocron site lists the minimum requirements as this:

Minimum configuration:

* Pentium III 1.4 GHz or equivalent - remember this game is a CPU hog

Haven't tried playing with less then 2.4 Ghz

* 256 MB RAM -

You need at least 512 MB of RAM to run game

* Direct3D-compatible video card with at least 32 MB -

Haven't tried with anything less then 128 MB

* 56.6K Internet connection -

Dial-up who uses dial-up anymore

* Windows 95B/98/2000/ME/XP -

Only tried with Windows ME and XP

* DirectX 9 or higher -

Will run DX-9 or DX7

* DirectSound-compatible sound card -

Aren't most soundcards?

Anyone got NC2 running on anything less than that?

I've got a 700MHz AMD sitting here which i use to go and MSN and stuff while i play game on my main box and i was wondering if NC2 would run on it so i can log my poker when nothing much is going on and get some monehs while i play on Oblivion or something on the main machine.

EDIT: My crap box meets the requirements and goes above them in everything but the CPU.

Any help appreciated.

see above quote

elGringo
15-04-06, 16:55
New info!

I turned the intro and extro splash screens back on so it does actually play them, it then gets to the epilepsy(sp?) warning and sits there (its the loading screen so i expect it to) then the client dies.

post your clienliblog, error & init logs please ... or check em yourself :)

Tratos
15-04-06, 17:04
The main theme is "Error: Begin Frame Failed"

The forum doesnt support attaching the log files or rars/zips ¬_¬

EDIT: However, schwing - http://www.broken-reality.org/misc/logs.zip

ROZZER187
15-04-06, 18:04
should be ok tratos but just change the ram. something along the lines of 3gb should let you poke for about 10mins :lol:

j/k but the mem leak is still kinda shitty

Glok
15-04-06, 18:57
Looks to me like it doesn't like 3D. What is your graphics card? Did you try using software rendering?

Tratos
15-04-06, 19:00
It should be my old graphics card i used to play early NC2 on, however i shall check.

Hmmm... seems i guessed wrong - why the hell didnt i use my MX440 :/ Its got a TNT2 M64, boo ya, lol i found mention of this card in a thread reharding this issue and it said something about the D3DDr log being empty/reading an error message which mine doesnt so i assume this thing supports the 3D its required to.

Im probably wrong though :)

Glok
15-04-06, 19:10
Yeah you'll have to use software rendering with that card. And that will be slow as shit with a 700MHz proc, but if it's just for poking who cares. :)

edit: I'm actually not sure if you'll be able to run NC at all with a TNT2 though...

Tratos
15-04-06, 19:15
How do i use software rendering then?

EDIT: Think i'll dig out my old MX440, where the fuck it is, is a different matter though :/

Glok
15-04-06, 19:18
I just checked the launcher and software mode isn't there, I guess I just remember that from NC1. Oh well. :p

You'll have to dig out your other card then.

Terayon
15-04-06, 19:23
I ran nc2 before on a tnt2. Was oced to hell but it still ran. Had 2 120 mil fans attached to it. So much airflow over that thing it was retarded. I had a 2400+ and a gig of ram so i actualy ran realy well. Only problem was it kind of ran awesome for 2 seconds and jolted suddenly after. That made it almost unplayable.

I dont know why its not running but ill list a few random things. If your forwarding ports make sure that its not the same port that your main comp is using. Becouse im pretty sure that might cause a similar problem. Maybe not though.

Or then you could try running in dx7 but i dont know if that would realy make a diffrence on the working. :wtf:

Glok
15-04-06, 19:28
What config did you use then? TNT2s don't have hardware T&L so it had to have been a software mode, and I couldn't find that on the launcher just now...

Tratos
15-04-06, 19:36
It only shows the DX7 driver anyway since the card is ancient, the little pc is currently undergoing surgery, while im at it im removing the 56k modem which is randomly in there O_o and see if the sound card is hooked up since it never work - i just dont know if the soundcard is fucked, lol

Trying to fix the fact it doesnt turn of properly too, lol when it shuts down the cpu and its fan stops but the power supply will happily sit there still running untill i manually hit the off button (nothing to do with the BIOS config either it seems as ive tried altering the settings for that)

Anyway back to pulling my other pc to bits! :D

EDIT: Well just got my first 700MHz powered tip :)

Still puzzels me why the MX440 wasnt installed :/ ah well, getting a solid 11 frames per second in TH2 :D

EDIT2: Getting 30fps with no one around :eek:

elGringo
15-04-06, 21:21
afaik that tnt worked with nc1, but was no longer supported with the release of nc2. Knew someone else who had the same problem because of his ancient tnt laptop gfx ;)

Terayon
15-04-06, 23:53
What config did you use then? TNT2s don't have hardware T&L so it had to have been a software mode, and I couldn't find that on the launcher just now...

I cant remember. Mighta been dx7.

Glok
16-04-06, 00:05
EDIT2: Getting 30fps with no one around :eek:Not bad at all. Glad you got it working. :)

Tratos
16-04-06, 00:20
Cheers, think my sound card is fucked in the little PC like, not getting any audio what so ever, tried loads of different trouble shooters on the web to try and solve the lack of sound, most of which point to the 'Advanced Controls' menu in Volume control which isnt a selectable option (greyed out) thing is its also like that on my main machine.

Anyone know if there are any other options which coould activate the Advanced Controls sound menu as according to most trougle shooters i need to access that to change the audio to analog from digital :S

Glok
16-04-06, 00:59
Did you try reinstalling the sound drivers?

I seem to recall not having that option either... now I'm using NVMixer so that's not an issue.

You could try run->dxdiag and hit the sound tab, see what's in there.

Morpheus
16-04-06, 02:39
I ran NC2 on a AMD 500Mhz K6-2 with 256 MB/SDRAM and a 32 MB TNT2 Gfx

But since Evolution 2.1 i had to change the Gfx to a GF2 MX200 since NC2 would not load anymore with the TNT2 Graficc.

Was good enough to poke and/or make BPs in the hacknet ...,
or have a driver on the rhino with a second account.

My guess is, this is your problem:

* Direct3D-compatible video card with at least 32 MB

A hardwareproblem, same what i had with my old box, change it, then it will load ...

Terayon
16-04-06, 03:07
Like to say right now my tnt2 was a 64mb and was actualt called a t2000 or somthing becouse it was some weird make.

cMz
16-04-06, 12:56
I can get to the advanced menu if I do this:
Options -> Properties -> Change Playback to Recording -> OK
Now I can activate Advanced properties.

I think it is only available for controlling recording settings in the soundcontrol.

You can put it on, and change back to "Playback". It will still have the v-mark next to it, but it will be grayed out again.

LaZyBoY
17-04-06, 06:35

[TgR]KILLER
17-04-06, 12:25
i could even launch nc2 on my laptop.. but ok thats a amd 3000 proc but its also just running on 700 mhz on laptop power :p won't get any fps or anything eighter tho.. and you can just copy the nc dir. thats what i did lol.