PDA

View Full Version : A question

Bustaballs
11-04-06, 16:35
Lately everyone's dream worlds of mmo's are coming out. Warcraft, Final Fantasy, Warhammer, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.... all except mine, that is. My dream world is Shadowrun. It's dissopointing because the best thing I have is the RPG for Genesis that came out in '94. It's my favorite game and no other Shadowrun game has been released since then. There is talk going around about a FPS in dev by Microsoft but who wants a FPS based on a RPG?

Anyways, my question is.. Is this a good alternative to a Shadowrun style world?

I've done quite a bit of searching around and this game seems to be the closest thing to a perfect cyberpunk mmorpg.

Gavroche
11-04-06, 16:50
Hi Bustyballs.

First you have to know that first person can be switched in every moment in the game to third person, so like most others mmorpg. What we understand in "FPS based RPG" is only the fact that fights are not like click and wait systems, but occures in a very quick and dynamic way.

The background is very tight to the description they give in neocron's website, and really reflects a post-apocalyptic period. I don't even heard about Shadowrun but if you knew and loved "the Nomad Soul", you'll love this game. Tons and tons of reenforced cement and the desolated wastelands with all their creatures creates a very very good ambiance (after 3 years, i'm still unable to get bored of it, even if I made few pauses, I came back every time)

And if you are really looking for desaster backgrounds, I suggest you to try and create your first char in the Dome of York, which is a nuked destroyed old city, with almost holes in every walls, and very frightening apartments.

reaKKtor give you 10 or 14 days trial to try it... come to see like it is, if you don't like you just cancel your account and go back to play with elves and trolls (argg O_o )

Hoping that'll help :)

Bustaballs
11-04-06, 16:54
First I'd like to thank you for the quick reply. Second, I believe the name of the game was called "Omikron: The Nomad Soul".... and yes it was an awesome game.

Gavroche
11-04-06, 17:05
I think reaKKtor inspired themselves from , you was right , "Omikron: The Nomad Soul", even if it was unconsciously :p

Hope see u IG soon :)

Napalm82
11-04-06, 17:41
I must admit that im not all that into ShadowRun (Meaning i like it, just havent really read all that much) i have read "ShadowRun: Changeling" (Which is one of my all time fav. books, too bad i cant find it) and played the same Sega game as you.

This game only have Humans as a playable race, so no trolls/orcs and the like, but the atmosphere (sp?) is pretty much what i gathered from the book i read, sure NeoCron (The City) aint as run down as one could expect but the wastelands sure are and some sectors of the outer edge of NeoCron are downright falling apart. (Still the Dome wins when it comes to being trashed :lol: )

Still, theres lots of opportunities to play the role one finds most suiting 'cause here in NC you can pretty much mix and match the proffesions you like, if you choose a Researcher proffesion you dont have to be JUST a researcher you can pick any weapon skill you like or maybe pick some more tradeskills, but of course specializing is the key to victory in combat (That and a good setup of resists/armor/buffs and the like)

Sadly one of my favorite ideas with ShadowRun (The Decker kinda guy) is a wee bit....underdeveloped IMO, theres still plenty to do but its not that rewarding.

Overall, great game and well worth a try, just downoad the game, enter your info and all that to create an account and play, if you cancel BEFORE the 10'th day you wont be charged anything on the 11'th day you will be charged the full cost of the game (Which is higher than what you can find on online-stores)

Hope that could be helpful, and excuse my spelling errors and the like, im Danish

- Nap

Bustaballs
11-04-06, 17:50
I saw no spelling errors =P.

Thanks for the reply. I don't really like the "fantasy" part of Shadowrun anyways. I mostly love the cyberpunk atmosphere and the matrix system. I'm downloading the client right now. I'll have to borrow a friends credit card number though. If I enjoy it enough, I'll definately stay =).

Sylow
11-04-06, 18:19
Hmm, if you dislike magic, you'll currently have small problems with really each and any character having some access to "psi", which is just another name for magic.

Though, don't be scared, according to all we know from the rebalancing plans, this will change and there'll be less psi in the air in the future.

Otherwhise, i dare to say, there are some hints that the game "served itself freely" with some shadowrun reference. Though, the references are abstracted far enough that they can't be sued any more and might not be visible for non-shadowrun-veterans any more. (Anyways, the character is called "runner", a small but nice hint. )

In low-level content, you currently can have quite some nice shadowrun-feeling, in higher levels, it gets highly mag... psi-ical but at least for me there's still some shadowrun in the air.

Spermy
11-04-06, 19:00
Hmm, if you dislike magic, you'll currently have small problems with really each and any character having some access to "psi", which is just another name for magic.

Though, don't be scared, according to all we know from the rebalancing plans, this will change and there'll be less psi in the air in the future.

Otherwhise, i dare to say, there are some hints that the game "served itself freely" with some shadowrun reference. Though, the references are abstracted far enough that they can't be sued any more and might not be visible for non-shadowrun-veterans any more. (Anyways, the character is called "runner", a small but nice hint. )

In low-level content, you currently can have quite some nice shadowrun-feeling, in higher levels, it gets highly mag... psi-ical but at least for me there's still some shadowrun in the air.

Meh, doesn't matter waht you say about psi :p Magic or not, it is for ze weak!

Tanks FTW!

Sylow
11-04-06, 19:02
Tanks FTW!
Succumb to the power of the nanites! (Once we have them... :D ;) )