PDA

View Full Version : Project Overview For NC

Kame
07-04-06, 20:49
From the balance forum:

As already mentioned in other threads, the balancing project follows a certain order. The areas are all more or less interweaved and have different priorities.

* Class Discussion

* Skill System

Possible changes to the skill system.

* Hitbox and Damage System

Adjust the way damage affects the 3 hitboxes (head, torso, legs).
Possible side-effects of being hit in a particular hitbox.

* Armor and Resistance System

Improve the transparency of the armor and resistance system. It should be clear what amount of damage reduction you get from using a particular setup.

* Weapon and Psi Revision

This includes general balancing of weapon categories, Techlevels, requirements, ranges, frequencies, ammo use, strength of buffs and heals etc.

* Armor, Implants and other items

Adjust armors and items with skill bonuses to fit in with the new general concept.

* Vehicles

Adjust vehicle armor, possibly add features like a real explosion that does damage when a vehicle is destroyed.

giga191
07-04-06, 20:54
News update by nidhogg

Balancing Project
Most of the questions above relate to or are affected by the balancing effort. Much more detailed information about the current state and the further progress of the balancing project can and will be obtainable on the Balancing Discussion Forum. The development team will keep you up to date as often as possible but please bear in mind that it is quite difficult to provide you with daily specific information due to the complexity of this whole process, though a new update is fairly imminent.

Bug Fixing
Due to the complexity of the balancing project some of the current bugs can only be adressed during the balancing process as they are touching in-depth parts of the game code. Of course we are still eager to squish out general & content related bugs as far as possible.

New game content
The current big content package has been frozen due to the needed resources for the balancing project. However, our content team is still working on the development of the story line which includes several small and big in-game events and content additions. More information about the storyline can be obtained as usual via our webzines “Neochronicle” (http://www.neocronicle.com/) and “Voice of the Resistance” (http://www.votr-mag.com/)

N

Cmasters opinion on resist pierce

Hmmm interesting. HOwver force/pierce are very tightly related anyway, so I'm just going to ask: "Why? WHat does this acheive in regards to balancing?". If someone can give me a list of reasons it will, then fine. But at the moment, I can't see what problem it fixes...

Kame
07-04-06, 20:55
Improve the transparency of the armor and resistance system. It should be clear what amount of damage reduction you get from using a particular setup.

:) Its true that the system is soo shady atm it prolly drove hundreds of noobs away.

This includes general balancing of weapon categories, Techlevels, requirements, ranges, frequencies, ammo use, strength of buffs and heals etc.

Yes because IMO, rifles are supposed to have more ammo and more damage then pistols. This is how it is in real life. Pistols have like 15 - 20 bullets per clip. Rifles have like 30.

In NC we have pistols with clipc of 30 even 40 shots, and rifles that holds 30 bullets.
I wont even talk about range. :(

Kame
07-04-06, 20:58

Further more i think that the #1 ressource for the items/skills shouldnt be player made.
I mean its totally wrong that what ppl use is a skill manager that someone made.
The game should have one, these NPC that says skill manager SHOULD work.

Dirus
07-04-06, 21:15
Further more i think that the #1 ressource for the items/skills shouldnt be player made.

The #1 resource for anything will always be player made.

For the most part when it comes to things like the resist/armor system, more does mean better the only thing the skill manager does is make it easy for people to figure out what combinations of items gives them the best setup.

People use the Skillmanager cuz they're lazy for the most part and want the info now, before it was around everyone did it with pen and paper. Also almost no one ever reads the games manual.

Why should the developers of a game give you a exhaustive guide of all possible combinations of items? Figuring out what works with what, and what doesn't is part of the game. We give out the basic info you need to play the game, granted in some areas like the "Tradeskills" the info could be better, but when it comes to the subskills we list what skill does what, and what other skills possibly add to it as well. This is why "Player made" will always be #1, walkthroughs ect are basically like "cheat sheets".

Prime example is with the Newbie MC5. I don't know how many threads I've seen complaining about no one knowing what to do there ect. Have any of you even looked at the "Getting Started" part of Game info guide on www.neocron.com (http://www.neocron.com/) ?

Kame
08-04-06, 02:46
never looked at it, i started playing and skipped the tutorial part, removed LE, and went on my merry way...

But Dirus it isnt only about what combination of imps/armor, but the resistance percentage a certain setup can give.

How much exactly 50 resist gives me ?
What are the skill caps ? not only fo fighting skills.

also what % of dam a DB adds,or how much %def does Shelter adds...

all these things feels so random.