PDA

View Full Version : LOL, Jobs did it again... what do you all think?

jini
06-04-06, 08:08
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/apr/05bootcamp.html
too bad I didnt bought some shares, allthough I was thinking of purchasing them for more than a month... Eventually this will end disputes for ilife<>premiere too ;)

Koshinn
06-04-06, 08:16
Yeah, it means Mac users want to run Windows software on Macs because... PC software > Apple software. It's just that Apple hardware is very very good and can compete with the best PC hardware companies.

jini
06-04-06, 08:36
Yeah, it means Mac users want to run Windows software on Macs because... PC software > Apple software. It's just that Apple hardware is very very good and can compete with the best PC hardware companies.
Well, I have them both on my desk standing side by side. I can confirm the EXACT opposite. There's just no comparison: integration, user friendliness, no crashes, aesthetics is what comes in mind.
PC doesnt have better software, but it has more software and games.
Graphicswise theres just no comparison.
This will have huge impact in the market, because it threatens windows in a lot ways. Even though its too early to tell, Jobs has nothing to lose from such a move, but Gates does. It will be interesting.... Koshinn go buy some stock now before its too late :lol: and... you never know.... that new Ferrari in that shop... somehow start being a better car... :cool:

retr0n
06-04-06, 11:08
I have to agree with Jini here. There is simply no comparison. If I could summarize
my problems with computers on some kind of a scale, Windows XP would be at
100/100 while the mac would be 1/100. But I guess we all got different experiences.

CMaster
06-04-06, 13:10
People do indeed have differnt expereince of it. See the "why Mac's suck" video on google - the guy is complaining about constant crashes - a typical windows compliant, not Mac OS.
Apple hardware isn't that great - its just PC hardware these days (and has been except for processor for a few years) in a cheap plastic box (the build quality of some Apple stuff is appaling) and with the price doubled. What you do get is Apple's famous "styling" and support, and an install of OS X. Seeing as the new Intel Apples (for the record, the old PowerPC chips had sooo many advantages over bloody X86s) ARE a PC in all ways except some very minor ones, this isnt a major suprise.

Apple have always been helped with MacOS by the fact there is a very limited range of hardware it runs on. Makes stability much easier. The trend seems more and more towards them just being an OS developer and peripherals company. They may find the OS work for that harder than they think.

jini
06-04-06, 16:28
But, Cmaster, it's just hardware. There isnt PC or Apple hardware, but just hardware. There are chips and a motherboard and some engineering to fit them inside a box. But this is where all similarities end. Take a look inside an imac or inside those new G5 cases http://reviews.cnet.com/Apple_Power_Mac_G5/4505-3118_7-30586664.html?autoplay=true. You wont find anything similar in hp or Dell. Laptops with backlit keyboards? G5s with liquid coolants? who else has something like it?
On the other hand, if indeed limited hardware increases stability, then clearly we are all mislead with PCs, coz I would choose 1000x something stable, rather than what I experience now

CMaster
06-04-06, 16:34
The G5s did have some unique architecure, yes. Apple have abandoned that now and effectively made what in the old days we would have called an "IBM compatible (although not quite 100%).
Its not "all chips and engineering to make them fit in the box" Theres a whole load of architecture considerations. And what apple have done is progressivly taken more and more equipment based around the architecture used in PCs and added it to their boxes.

Koshinn
06-04-06, 21:50
Laptops with backlit keyboards?

Logitech

G5s with liquid coolants? who else has something like it? Well obviously only apple makes G5s. But liquid coolant has been around for a while. Look at the Alienware Area-51 SLI. 4 Nvidia 7800 graphics cards, each rendering 1/4 of a screen to provide extreme performance, coupled with liquid cooling.

jini
06-04-06, 22:27
Logitech

Well obviously only apple makes G5s. But liquid coolant has been around for a while. Look at the Alienware Area-51 SLI. 4 Nvidia 7800 graphics cards, each rendering 1/4 of a screen to provide extreme performance, coupled with liquid cooling.
here we go again... sigh...
I said laptops. Logitech doesnt make laptops... (but while we are at it, which product you reffering to?)

If you try to compare a universal solution like the one from alieanware's with the Apple's integration I'm talking you'll fail. You are talking for a modder, I'm talking of an integrator, that engineers from ground up. It's like comparing a Ferrari against a modded 400hp Hyundai :rolleyes:

John Wu
06-04-06, 23:02
there's panasonic toughbooks with backlit keyboard. and I'm sure there are others, I just can't be bothered to look for them.

StevenJ
07-04-06, 01:47
Choice is good, though. You're free to do it, you're free to ignore it! Progress is good, choice is good!

Koshinn
07-04-06, 04:40
here we go again... sigh...
I said laptops. Logitech doesnt make laptops... (but while we are at it, which product you reffering to?)

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2166,CONTENTID=10717
The keyboard that the guy in WoW was banned for using because it has macro keys on it. But yeah sorry, Logitech does not make laptops.

If you try to compare a universal solution like the one from alieanware's with the Apple's integration I'm talking you'll fail. You are talking for a modder, I'm talking of an integrator, that engineers from ground up. It's like comparing a Ferrari against a modded 400hp Hyundai

Apple is the only company that can build a pc from the ground up? :rolleyes:

So basically you're saying Apple software > PC software because Apples have great gimmicks in their hardware like backlit keyboards, liquid cooling, sudden motion detectors that shut off a harddrive when your laptop is falling, light sensors, integrated cameras and cases that could possibly pass as modern art? Yes they have performance, but hardware hardly has anything to do with software.

jini
07-04-06, 06:26
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2166,CONTENTID=10717
The keyboard that the guy in WoW was banned for using because it has macro keys on it. But yeah sorry, Logitech does not make laptops.

Yes, but this is the whole point. You got an integrator that is able to apply his own standards to others to make business. This is why the product is a quality product.

Apple is the only company that can build a pc from the ground up? :rolleyes:

So basically you're saying Apple software > PC software because Apples have great gimmicks in their hardware like backlit keyboards, liquid cooling, sudden motion detectors that shut off a harddrive when your laptop is falling, light sensors, integrated cameras and cases that could possibly pass as modern art? Yes they have performance, but hardware hardly has anything to do with software.
Yes, I believe Apple is the only manufacturer that integrates and engineers its own products, both in hardware AND software. It has total control over its products therefore it can guarantee that they work as intended. No other PC manufacturer can claim this now. Once we had IBM, but no more. Not only that but Apple is and was allways in the forefront of technology. Scsi disks, firewire, GUIs, quality and more was allways in there products
It's not just the gimmicks you say of consist a mac, its a lot more than that. There is a link from cnet showing a video from their current desktop, that I believe shows what is a top notch design. No matter how good you are in modding your case, or if you pick teh besten in components, you will never be able to integrate them the way apple does. Take a look in that video and tell me if you see ANY cable anywhere, obsrtucting cooling in any way, when this thing works, you hardly hear any sound of it yet its a workhorse. So, you have a great hardware platform and you only need some good software to make it happy, but wait ... Apple does this as well...