PDA

View Full Version : Silent HL casting

krynstone
04-04-06, 04:05
Can we get this fixed?

I hope there's some simple server side fix for this or something. I'd really like to be able to hear the LIGHTNING hitting me. I figure it has to do with normal distance from user when "weapon" is "fired" thing. But when you have LIGHTNING comming out of the sky and striking you that makes a sound.

I haven't been killed yet by HL sniping (almost killed couple of times though) but we need to hear it. I hate noticing my health dropping to like 20 life because I've already been hit by 2 HL's without sound.

Foxtrot
04-04-06, 04:16
Its a sniper rifle for a reason. Shut up pleeeeease.

-sf-
04-04-06, 04:18
I believe hes talkin bout the holy lightning not about a rifle, so yea, there should be a sound tbh.

But actually there shouldnt be any HL at all and also no monks who could cast it :)

krynstone
04-04-06, 04:21
Its a sniper rifle for a reason. Shut up pleeeeease.
lol...yeah Holy Lightning buddy:)

Dogface
04-04-06, 05:11
This has happened to me too, though it's never got me killed..

Breakaway
04-04-06, 05:17
yes i know what you mean, they cast the holy lightning and then quickly change to another spell... the holy lightning still casts and you loose health but it dosent look like they are casting it at all... it is very annoying as sometimes you dont know who it hitting you :confused:

jini
04-04-06, 07:32
They usualy have 2 HLs so they go back and forth changing spells and shooting silently. Needless to say who does this... we all know... but it's gotta get a fix

Apocalypsox
04-04-06, 08:05
carrying 2 HLs is stupid...you run the risk of dropping your ubar 1337 monx hax wep

giga191
04-04-06, 10:42
Its a sniper rifle for a reason. Shut up pleeeeease. what a nib tbh

RogerRamjet
04-04-06, 11:43
Due to its high cast speed i dont think it can be changed.

CMaster
04-04-06, 12:07
Its not just the swapping. As well all know, healing light and the other Beam weapons don't show up at extreme range, nor is there any indication of being hit by them. (in fact, the range got a loss less extreme latley - Kurai killed me with invisible HeLi beams from about 300m away). Now I've observed the same issue (although it hasnt happened to me for a few months) with Holy Lightning. When you are a long way from the APU (typically more than HL's actual range, due to awful NC netcode) you start taking the damge still but with no animation or sound. I particuarly noticed it when running awyw from people.
Can it be fixed? I guess so, and it would be nice if the HeLi and so on bugs were fixed too.

RogerRamjet
04-04-06, 13:17
When i LOMed my APU to no PA i noticed that my HLs on my screen would miscast, but damage would still come off the person i was casting it on.

jini
04-04-06, 15:38
Silent hits is a bug and needs to be sorted right away, regardless if its a HeLi or a HoLi, actually for rifles this also applies for redeemer as well
its just stupid. An exception to the rule must be the SH, which by nature is a sniping rifle and should be silent and deadly ONLY if one has moded it with a silencer, but this doesnt work either :mad:

R3N3GADE
04-04-06, 17:46
ye it does my sh works fine with a silencer mod

ashley watts
04-04-06, 18:14
well tbh if KK dont wanna fix the animation and sound they should at least nerf it so we actually no were being hit rather than only knowing when the APU comes over to hack your belt its a real lame that goes for the healing light and SH AND yes the SH should give off a very distinct sniper pop unless its silenced :mad:

R3N3GADE
04-04-06, 18:24
the sh does if its not modded its bloody load tbh or if you dont turn the mod on when using it which is a pain as u have to do it in every zone.

ashley watts
04-04-06, 18:36
hmmm, thats kinda odd i can maybe get 30 metres before i dont hear it no more, or a nice Idea is if you scan the horizon youll see the scope glare looking at you, just like a little glow int he distant, though you cant do much about it at least you could run off from it :P

kurai
04-04-06, 21:09
I posted this in the patch bug thread a while back.

http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?p=1963949#post1963949

jini
04-04-06, 21:57
the sh does if its not modded its bloody load tbh or if you dont turn the mod on when using it which is a pain as u have to do it in every zone.
No it doesn't work as intended mate. What you hear is indeed a silenced shot, but those near you hear you fine even a bit lower. In fact theres no real difference if you shoot in silence or shoot with normal shots, after some distance neither one or the other can be heard. Therefore a silncer just wastes a slot

RogerRamjet
04-04-06, 23:36
No it doesn't work as intended mate. What you hear is indeed a silenced shot, but those near you hear you fine even a bit lower. In fact theres no real difference if you shoot in silence or shoot with normal shots, after some distance neither one or the other can be heard. Therefore a silncer just wastes a slot

Wrong.

Its cool as fuck.

kurai
05-04-06, 20:48
The silencer is entirely useless from a weapon stats/usage/effectiveness/`stealthiness` point of view.

The "hear the shot" radius for other people around you is exactly the same with or without it.

Only reason I use a silencer is because the Silent Hunter is my primary weapon, and I use it a *lot*.

Without the silencer the loudness of the normal shots would give me a killer headache every night :lol:

unreal
05-04-06, 22:12
Its not just the swapping. As well all know, healing light and the other Beam weapons don't show up at extreme range, nor is there any indication of being hit by them. (in fact, the range got a loss less extreme latley - Kurai killed me with invisible HeLi beams from about 300m away).kurai usually uses a silent hunter, which does EXTREMELY lagged damage. This morning when I was stood outside the TG HQ doing the TG epic, I saw Loretto on local, and the NPC's were taking damage, and I could hear a sniper rifle sound. He's stood in the balcony, so we both stand there shooting each other for a moment. I see lots of health coming off him, but I hear 3 shots, and a couple of seconds after the third shot, I see my health drop to 150. I came out the victor in this case, and most others in fact, I can't remember being killed by a Silent Hunter, kurai nearly killed me the odd time because of this too. You're stood there, and without any animation or knowing, you're losing health, and only see the affects after you've usually been hit a few times (because of the lag).

Melee weapons have the same sort of effect, which is highly annoying.

Dogface
05-04-06, 22:29
Melee weapons are bastards for this too. So are the guards in MB.

kurai
06-04-06, 09:29
kurai usually uses a silent hunter, which does EXTREMELY lagged damage. The occasion Cmaster is talking about I started with 2 Silent Hunter shots (tried for the legs to cripple, so he couldn't run to his vehicle after casting heal and drive off while stealthed again), then finished with the Healing Light, because of the full body rather than zone damage, to mop up whatever health was left.

Range was shorter than 300m - from top of CRP bunker to the hill just past cave entrance, opposite the north tower.
I'd say about 150m max.

I think there are two slightly different effects happening with the two rifle types :-

There seems to be some sort of serverside `health bounce` calculation going on for Silent Hunter hits - it's not always as obviously apparent as it is for, say, fall damage or Warbot hits. I'm guessing it's something to do with the way the SH completely overpowers a single body zone's health pool, therefore throws away a goodly proportion of it's nominal damage.

With the Healing Light the apparent delay is more from the shooters' rather than target's point of view. The target's health falls away in steady increments as he sees it (assuming all shots hit, and that he is watching health counter) but the shooter only sees erratic updates of the health numbers coming off them - sometimes it bunches 3 hits together, sometimes only shows one at a time.

Both weapons have a similar problem with the `non detectable hits` from a target's perspective.
Anything past about 100m and you don't see the beam or a bloodsplash when you get shot with a Healing Light.
With the Silent Hunter after anything over about 200m you don't hear the `slap` of the shot hitting or see a bloodsplash.

Can't say I experience the lag/latency effects Unreal mentions specifically that often - that sounds more like a subjective network issue at the time.

RaekOne
06-04-06, 10:12
yes i know what you mean, they cast the holy lightning and then quickly change to another spell... the holy lightning still casts and you loose health but it dosent look like they are casting it at all... it is very annoying as sometimes you dont know who it hitting you :confused:

My own clan do this to me faaarr to often :(

CMaster
06-04-06, 13:06
The occasion Cmaster is talking about I started with 2 Silent Hunter shots (tried for the legs to cripple, so he couldn't run to his vehicle after casting heal and drive off while stealthed again), then finished with the Healing Light, because of the full body rather than zone damage, to mop up whatever health was left.

Range was shorter than 300m - from top of CRP bunker to the hill just past cave entrance, opposite the north tower.
I'd say about 150m max.

Heh, I was rebuffing and hiding from the frecnhies below - TSC/Virus guys, who I assumed were the ones shooing me, Wasn't until too late I realised I'd jus been giving you an easier shot.

Interesting what you say though - until now I've never been aware of SH shots not registering - I've certainly been shot by an SH from a LONG way away and still had that distnictive "click" before.

Anyway, invisible weapons fire as a whole is a serious issue that needs resolving.

kurai
06-04-06, 13:25
Yeah - the sound of the SH shot hitting is ... erratic.
From various people's accounts the problem seems to more prevalent when at long range.

Hrmmm ....

One other thing I was pondering regarding the lack of bloodsplash at range most of the time ...
I wonder if it might be related to the ammo mod damage type.

The reason for that thought is that, from a shooters perspective, you see a small fire `bloom` appear on target's body when you shoot them with a flazer/fire mod, but don't with a gamma/uranium mod.

If the target-client-side bloodsplash is triggered by the dmg anim rather than the specific weapon type it might explain why it happens seemingly erratically - it might just be someone with different mod shooting you at different times.

I'll have a test when I'm on tonight.

CMaster
06-04-06, 13:43
Some xray-modded weapons produce a harder-to-notice "lightning" effect as they hit. Explosive modded naturally produce a little explosion. Don't think it applies to all weapons though - never noticed the little fire spots from plasma weapons for example.

Okran
06-04-06, 14:47
It works the same with Deflector. If you swap or un-select the spell a certain way through the cast, it completes the casting and no sound is produced.

I think it should make a sound the second it is cast to prevent this.