PDA

View Full Version : Noob Guide and brief game review

Droth
02-04-06, 13:39
This is a basic starters guide to get you started and links at the end with all the information you will need to fine tune your character after to get the basics down.

Quick Review

Pros
for years now i've been looking for a mmo that reminded me of the fallout universe this is it 1. community It's a tie between community and the game itself for me. i went from nothing but 12 year olds making chuck norris jokes day after day to an international community of really fun and often funny people. crazy is winning my vote atm for funniest neocron resident(o rly ftw) http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=133305 i've been laughing at that for days now

Each faction has a leader and when something happens they respond in character to it.you really feel like you are there sometimes.
There is an auction house. now this is not leave an item up for 3 days and see if someone buys it. its an actual auction. clans will announce an auction and then hours of bidding take place for various items just like in real life.the best items are player made
Outpost wars..well rock. clans fighting it out for that extra boost to trade or other skills.

This world feels more real than any other i've played in because of it's residants. just a few examples

My clan and another clan did not get along to well so they sent a squad of 4 up to our leaders apartment under the pretence of trade. shortly after gaining acces to the apartment our leader was assassinated

A newer player was just coming to life. he stepped outside his apartment and was greated by a very strange man and he ran back into his apartment scared for his life. shortly after he heard his doorbell go of and was found the
next day dead on his doormat

When people do business its not just over a trade channel or in a city. they often trade behind closed doors in thier apartments.I guess what i'm trying to say is it's "alive" in there

2. combat
A.fps. its a first person shooter.you dont just target and hit a few keys over and over and over day after day after day. you aim, you fire, you dodge, you hide behind trees, take up spots in towers and duck behind cover. it can be very tactical
B.Body hit parts. if you hit someone in the body it does normal damage if you hit them in the legs it blows their legs out and they slow to a crawl untill they heal up, i've also heard some weapons do extra damage if you get a head shot but i've never gotten this to happen personally(someone is welcome to clarify)
C.group play. As far as group play goes you will NEVER need 40 people to have fun(though a 40 person op war would do nicely). you can hop in a vehicle at a very young age and go off to find a hunting spot.or head over to popular grouping spots. even a team of two can have a really good time out in the waste
D.Vehicles. there is a wide range of vehicles that often have driver gunner and passenger spots. a few of the things you can operate are tanks,motorcycles,gliders,hover bombers and dune buggies. all of these are a blast to drive and gun for.

Now after all that you may be thinking the exact same thing i was..but how does the combat actually work? well its like this. for most weapons you move your crosshairs over target. the crosshairs narrows improving the bullets
chance to hit where you are aiming on the target the longer you have it over the target.the higher skill you have in some stat the faster this happens. my mid lv sniper has 100% acc on a target almost the instant i mouse over
it. now some weapons are big bulky and might take a bit to target in but at the highest lvs this wont be a problem. there is also a weapon mod that helps with the targeting speed
3. no more elves(nuff said)
4. world/setting
Weather affects ranging from sunny skies to snow. the weather in the area affects your visibility.
The world is very well thought out everything "fits" instead of ostriches and zebras there are giant killer robots mutants and mutated beasties(just to name a few). this game isnt new but i like the way the graphics are done

Things i dont like
1. weird bugs
There are alot of little things that will just happen. when something gets wierd either 1.relog(sometimes you have to quit all the way to desktop) or 2.zone and come back. none of these bugs are more than annoying and there are less of them after every patch.
2. starting out i felt like it was my first day in everquest again. i had no idea what was going on and somehow got killed by an npc seconds after leaving my apartment on the plus side now that i have the hang of it all that confusion was well worth it.

You should give it a shot if
you like pvp
you like fps
you like rpgs
you like post apocalyptic/scifi settings
you like interesting people
i've played almost every mmo out there and this is where i hang my hat after a long journey. many of the people i play with have been here for years

Noobie survival guide

Fighting skill types

Droner-uses drones(some that look mighty wicked i might add) launched from the player to do his bidding. fun to fly no chance of death unless something manages to find your body. while flying the drone you cannot see whats going on where you left your body.Spies make excelent droners

Gentank-Uses big freking guns(most guns do aoe splash damage) make very good gunners for tanks and other vehicles. high health and resist. some gentanks opt for melee weapons

Psi Monks-two types apu and ppu monks. apu use magic to roast things out of existance before they can blink. ppu use heals and shelters to keep themselves and others alive and have some attack spells and debuffs to spice it up a bit.while they arent the inferno of dmg the apu is thier spells often add status affects(such as slowing down players speed of all types(aiming running turning ect). Psi monks are all about dmg/healing but have very little health and armor

Spy-two main types riffle and pistol. rifles are long range snipers(most often) and can lay down the wrath from very far away the sniper rifles have a scope(activated by holding down mouse 1).pistols are more short/med range
fighters that often fire off rounds quite fast. cannot take to many hits but they can stealth and usually run at a good clip

Private eye-can use weapons and psi a hyrbid if there ever was one."jack of all trades master of none"

the best part about all of these is that you can mix and match a good bit

There are also support skills(constuctor,driver,researcher,hacker ect.) but this is just to give you a general idea and get you out the door and shooting please see the links below for more detailed information about those skills.

A quick note on apartments and doy/nc
doy is the fallen city its apartments have rats and holes in the floor.nc hasnt been nuked recently so everything is pretty.TechHaven is neutral and is well...techy.i started doy and promply got an apartment in TechHaven(though
i do visit doy often).every character starts off with an apartment that can be furnished as you please. Also city merc is a neutral faction that starts off at a military base in the wastelands. while being a merc is "cool" it's nasty in the waste

Starting out and links section
Pick something you really want to be. ever wanted to be a stealthing sniper the guy from doom or controll your own killer robots? now's the time.

Before you do anything else ingame tinker around with the f1,f2,f3 ect keys and explore all those windows just so

you know where they are and what they do. f9 is the navray and will guide you to anything you ask it to.
Two things you need to know about Genreps and GoGuardians.

Genreps-you have one in your apartment and there are many throughout the world they all quick travel and you can pick any of them you have activated to respawn at upon death.

GoGuardians(or gogo's)-limited item storage but you can acces these items from any gogo anywhere you can find one. think of it as a small bank with lots and lots of terminals

Now that thats done do as mr jones says visit your hq get that all setup.next ask someone to show you the lv 1 sewers. kill your way through the level 1 sewers for a bit to get a feel for the game and what critters are down there
after you figure out combat and the types of critters find one of the computers on the wall and get a very easy mission from your faction to kill sewer bees or roaches or something.

Give it a few weeks to get good. starting out killing critters with the same granade launcher for hours is equivilant to only having 2 spells on wow or some other game give it a chance. you might just find that Plasma Wave Cannon spices things up a bit later on.

I'd recomend spending atleast a day just knocking around before you worry to much about class builds and ultimate items for the future.just get a feel for the game or you will just end up lomming(slowly resseting skills)despite research

if you use ammo make sure to invest in a recycling tool and start out with recycle at about 20 and raise later as the ammo requirements rise.the high tech skill can be left low to achive this as you wont be using high tech
weapons for a while. get 20 points into rec then start to put points into High Tech Combat.to make ammo/medkits open the procesor menue. put the reclyle tool in the first slot and what you want cloned in the 2nd(ammo medkits ect) then fill the rest of the slots up with "junk"(bug parts ,robot parts, human limbs that sort of thing) then just hit start and *poof* you have more ammo. there are some objects that dont even count as junk(copper wiring, bits of wood and glass) these should be tossed as they are completly worthless

If you use drones do the above but for the repair skill as it will save you a fortune on drones if you can fix them. to repair an item your skill in rep has to be half the tl of the item(:tl explained: if the drone needs 38dex its going to be a tl 38 item(says it in the item info as well) so you need 19 in rep to fix it. every time you repair an item its max % is lowerd. the higher the rep skill the less of a hit this will take.To repair an item put the repair tool and the item into the processor and hit start and off it goes

The LE chip
If you are not yet sure what you are doing leave this thing in. without it anyone can kill you at random(except in weapon free zones).Some people never take it out but that's hardly the way to be ;)

once you get the basics down use these links to guide you the rest of the way. alot of links on the web no longer work and information on the forums is spread all over. if someone knows of an active link not listed here please add it

http://nc.synergyxr.net/
lots and lots of usefull information. download neoskiller figure out from people/the forums what is needed to cap the best weapon you can get.set all dex,str,con lvs to max and equip the best suited armor/implants for the path you have chosen(save). now strip all the implants/armor and you have your build(save under new name).

http://www.rpgexpert.com/cid_24.html
http://neocron.ems.ru/
http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=872875
http://www.rpgplanet.com/neocron/guides/
http://www.techhaven.org/
http://doylore5000.tripod.com/id5.html Information may not 100% accurite but it gives you an idea

ps. been up all night writing this so i may of missed something here or there. This guide answers the questions i
had when i first found neocron and started playing i hope it is helpfull. i realise there is already a faq and other post here and there but what i could actually find was scattered all over the forum/web wont be having that problem around here anymore ;)