PDA

View Full Version : Computer Reboots?

FlashFF
02-04-06, 04:29
My system keeps rebooting while playing NC. It's usually when a lot of the effects like ion drones or psi spells are going. I was wondering if anyone else had ths problem or any ideas. Ive tried both D3D9 and D3D7 modes. None of it is showing up as a conflict in the system events logger.

Oh, and before anyone posts just to say "your hardware sucks noob", it's all relatively new, and has NO problems with any other games. BIOS, CPU drivers, mobo drivers, graphics drivers, sound drivers... all up to date.

Tesee
02-04-06, 04:34
maybe reinstalling the game, one told me he had rebooting problems and it was fixed reinstalling...

FlashFF
02-04-06, 04:44
Already tried that today.
Today I:
Did a FULL virus scan (nothing found)
Did a FULL spyware scan (nothing found)
Did a windows update
Did a FULL spyware scan (1 tracking cookie found) ... WTF?! Thx windows update
Downloaded a fresh copy of NC 2.1
Reinstalled NC 2.1
Patched NC 2.1 with the autopatcher (not with pre-saved patches)
Tried to log in 2000 times with sync
Logged in on my monkeh!
Used Holy Energy Halo a bit
Watched my system reboot

sanityislost
02-04-06, 06:18
try going to, control panel / sounds and audio devices / audio
then under sound playback click advanced, click the performance tab and put
hardware acceleration to none.

only thing that fixes the problem for me

SiL ..:..

Conduit
02-04-06, 06:32
You have an Abit mobo?

Brooklyn
02-04-06, 07:59
Your CPU could be overheating therefore shutting down. Try running a system temp. monitor proggy. Go to Download.com and look up "speed fan" I think.

-B

Karandras
02-04-06, 12:47
Iv had a similar problem for ages, iv tried everything... i have a good PC, it plays games like farCry and CSS at 1280x1024 6xAA 16xAF High everything etc.. and thats with 60 FPS (cap), iv reinstalled windows, bought a new motherboard, closley monitered GPU and CPU temps, GPU was running quite hot so I applied new thermal compound (and removed a sticker from under the heatsink) and rearranged some fans for better airflow, and it ran ALOT cooler, but problem still occured... i still have the problem, sectors like CRP, fire mob areas, swamp caves are the worst, but it has happened outside MB also.

i have a suspicion its something to do with my hard drive though, and have some good evidence for it.... if only i had some money i could buy a new one.. oh well.

Scanner Darkly
02-04-06, 12:55
This little program is useful in diagnosing any problems your PC might be having: http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.html?dir=&location=downandbuy&langx=en&a=
(the lite version is free and all you need)

After examining your system with Sandra, try running the "burn in" test (one of the options at the top), that will test your system at 100% load conditions and log any problems. Hope this helps!

cRazy-
02-04-06, 15:29
Ive actually just started having this problem, my Computer randomly restarts. However my CPU and GPU core temperatures never go above 62 celcius.

Sammson
02-04-06, 17:50
If you have and Ati card, I had this happen when I was disabling the catalyst taskbar icon/control centre. I reenabled it and the problem went away. Just a possibility....

I had Windows Defender do it twice as well, it may have been patched now tho that was 2 weeks ago.

Karandras
02-04-06, 18:13
Ive actually just started having this problem, my Computer randomly restarts. However my CPU and GPU core temperatures never go above 62 celcius.

Welcome to my neocron...

p.s. i have an ATI card

cRazy-
02-04-06, 18:18
I have a Geforce 6600 on this computer.

I had to take a copy of my graphics cards BIOS, edit the hex code then flash the card with the modified BIOS just to enable the GPU temperature sensor :(

Karandras
02-04-06, 18:27
:/

my tank would probs be capped if it wasnt this problem, i can only be in swamp caves or crp or fire mob areas for about 5 minutes b4 it goes.

FlashFF
02-04-06, 20:02
So would it be a ver farfetched thing to say that this is a common problem and may need to be addressed by KK?

My system runs at 100% load most of the time, and no problems are caused, all diagnositc progs tell me its fine and temps are fairly low (~50-55 degrees)

For info I use an ATI Radeon 9800 GFX Card. My bro runs the same gfx card and doesn't seem to have this problem.

sanityislost
02-04-06, 23:01
trust me on this, try the audio settings thing

FlashFF
02-04-06, 23:09
I did that earlier SiL - Its been running ok, but it just rebooted.

sanityislost
02-04-06, 23:14
weird....i had the problem for months...was the psi weapons that would really
set it off....someone on here told me to try it out seemed to do the trick...soz it
wasnt much help for you tho dude

Conduit
02-04-06, 23:19
You have an Abit mobo?

Well? If you do then there's your problem, and unfortunately the only solution is to get a new mother board. One which isn't an Abit.

FlashFF
02-04-06, 23:41
I have an ASRock K7S8XE+
And I don't think replacement hardware is the way to go. It works with every oter game I play and causes absolutely no problems with any of the software. So I can only assume the prob is with NC, in which case, locating the problem specifically would be the first step to a fix.

Conduit
03-04-06, 01:02
Ok, I thought that i'd ask about the Abit mobo, because I had excactly the same problem about a year ago, and after some research (and after changing the power supply twice, the gfx card & getting new memory...) found that it was a problem with the power controller on some Abit boards.
It still sounds like a power problem to me though, so try running this (http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php) and monitering the relevant voltages.

Scanner Darkly
03-04-06, 18:28
^^^^Hiho Conduit

I had a similar problem to the thread poster, PC would restart whenever I played for an extended time. Turns out that the RAM was overheating, a quiet fan fixed it.

I admit that I haven't read this thread completely, so I may have missed you already saying so, but do these "random resets" only happen when you play NC, or any other games? How long does it take before it usually restarts itself?

Did you try the software I recommended?

Good luck!

Superbron
03-04-06, 20:02
My system keeps rebooting while playing NC. It's usually when a lot of the effects like ion drones or psi spells are going.
Maybe you should spec some PSR? :p

Try changing settings from DX7 to DX9 or vice versa. See if the problem still exists...
Edit: sorry, you already tried that. Damn, always read first then comment, when will I learn... :(

marsbarz
04-04-06, 05:41
I've had a similar problem for a while now, I've tried switching power supplies and that didn't seem to do much. I've switched hard drives now. I've tried a bunch of things to fix the problem but I've only fixed problems that weren't relevant to this one.

My system is quite older though, also using an ATI videocard mind you. Here are my specs:

Aopen AK75 motherboard
2x 512mb DDR266 ram (one micron technologies, one jade star technologies)
1x 256mb DDR266 ram (micron technologies)
40gb hard drive (samsung)
Sapphire ATI Radeon 9250 256mb videocard
AthlonXP 2400+ cpu (currently running underclocked due to an unrelated problem)
Sound Blaster PCI soundcard
300w powersupply (brand unknown)

If I had a temperature probe I'd be writing down cpu, ram, and videocard temperatures and see if there's a correlation between the crashes, try running a different game that puts a heavy load on the computer. I searched google to see if I could find a solution and I think this sort of problem is common, especially for brand new systems, allegedly because of hardware conflicts.

My problem though isn't rebooting, my computer just powers down. I suppose that could easily be because of overheating...

FlashFF
04-04-06, 08:07
Powering down is often due to shorting or overheating. The issue seems to be sorted now on my end, I didn't do anything at all though. It just seems to have gone away. All I can think is a GM has blessed me in my sleep lol. Anyway I over a period of time tried all of this:

Took my system apart and cleaned every fan, chip and port.
Virus scanned (nothing).
Spyware scanned (nothing).
Altered the sound settings and removed acceleration (as suggested by SiL).
Reinstalled graphics drivers.
Used the catalyst control center to set for performance over quality.
Run a number of tests and a burn in test (As suggested by Scanner Darkly, No Problems found).
Reinstalled a freshly downloaded copy of NC.
Let the autopatcher download and install patches (so I wasnt using old copies).

My system is as follows:
Motheboard: ASRock K7S8XE+
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (Currently clocked at 2.08Ghz)
RAM: 2x512mb DDR266
GFX Card: ATI Radeon 9800 (256mb)
Hard Drive 1: FUJITSU MPE3273AT (25GB)
Hard Drive 2: Maxtor 6E040L0 (38GB)
Hard Drive 3: Maxtor 7L250R0 (234GB)
Sound Card 1: C-Media AC97 Audio Device (Primary)
Sound Card 2: Creative SB Live! Value (Secondary)
Power Supply: I believe is a 500w Silent, Extra Cooled
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Professional (Win32 x86) 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2)

This may or may not be of use to anyone with similar problems. If you are having similar problems, post your specs and what you've tried to do to solve the problem.

marsbarz
07-04-06, 06:21
Using CPU-Z I determined that the ram module in the second slot on my motherboard was running at a higher clock speed than it should have been. I've since removed the module, lost 512 megs of ram, :(, and am not experiencing any more crashes.

FlashFF
07-04-06, 17:58
Sucks about the ram, good about the crashes. Anyone else having problems could look into that too.

Seraphin[69]
07-04-06, 18:12
Was about to tell you to burn mem86 iso to test your ram during the night... That happened to me when my ram burned ^^

But the same thing also happened on my laptop when the graphic chip overheated ^^

Androth
07-04-06, 21:37
I've found this problem most common in PC's with AGP ATI cards that require extra power from one of the HD power cords. Apparently there can be voltage spikes that occur with a lot of flashy effects, and thusly crash the system dead. I have even seen the power cable catch fire on one occasion. You'll note neocrons epilepsy warning and seriously flashy effects. Not typical of many other games. You'll notice it happens more frequently when lots of psi is going.

-A