PDA

View Full Version : Balance: Main Skills?

RogerRamjet
31-03-06, 17:25
Just out of interest, is it possible to introduce balance without changing main skills around and introducing things like nanites etc?

I'm all for balance and the progression of the game, but as everyone surely knows, people dont like change. Not one bit.

I know its not very far down the line, but are KK considering this option over changing things?

SorkZmok
31-03-06, 17:29
I'm with Roger here. I'd rather see classes and guns balanced, then KK should work out a plan to bring in those nanites and everything.

Otherwise i seriously fear the game is gonna get ruined. :(

Glok
31-03-06, 17:29
I must not be a person then, I'm already planning my pistol tank. :p

Hell-demon
31-03-06, 17:36
agreeing with Roj, don't mess with skills, don't get rid of tank psi and don't add nanites :)

giga191
31-03-06, 17:42
And lets go back to NC1 beta because it was better then blah blah blah blah etc, it's all bs

Apshai
31-03-06, 17:49
And lets go back to NC1 beta because it was better then blah blah blah blah etc, it's all bs

agree

Nidhogg
31-03-06, 17:52
You're welcome to continue this conversation but I can't guarantee that it will be visible. You're far better off commenting in the balancing forum.

N

/edit - also see Than's comments on the proposed changes to main skills over there now.

RogerRamjet
31-03-06, 18:05
I didnt wanna make a thread over there.

Im not bothered about how it was in NC1 beta, but changing main skills would probably be the most dramatic thing thats happened to NC, since, well, a long time.

Nidhogg
31-03-06, 18:11
I didnt wanna make a thread over there.

Im not bothered about how it was in NC1 beta, but changing main skills would probably be the most dramatic thing thats happened to NC, since, well, a long time.
I said before this all started that there would be no sacred cows. In any case, it's only the removal of tank PSI that's being proposed.

N

Ras Klaat
31-03-06, 18:38
well i for one dont like any of the new ideas, in effect they will change the play style of each char. That makes no sence to me at all, why change it by taking out Tank Psi adding nanites and such, all that would do is make certain class un balanced.
Then we will need to re balance them as well. Why not concentrate on what we have now why add new things? how does that balnce anything. It would be so much easier to change the items in game now to balance classes, but instead you are gonna add new stuff, and take away tank Psi.
Maybe its just me.

Tratos
31-03-06, 19:08
I like and dislike the changes at the same time.

The main thing i like is the fact that alot of discussion and thought is going into the balance plus i like the fact that KK are actually trying to fix the game at a source level going right down to the basics of the game and making them what they should have been, i.e. tanks without psi, spys actually getting something for their really high DEX + INT instead of being a PE with less resists and a constructor who has little other role in existance.

People are going to bitch and bitch and bitch (If i wasnt getting tired of typing it, this part of th post would be alot longer) and bitch and bitch no matter what KK do, change or add and remove as people are so used to the game actually being unbalanced that anything that happens with it will "kill/destroy the game".

I admit it will be weird changing the play style of some of my characters which is something which lightly concerns me but if it gives more classes a fair go at PvP aswell as PvM im all for it.

KK are balancing the game but are also adding new items, systems and requirements to ensure that balance sticks and seem to be planning on doing it all at once (on the retail servers) with some actuall testing by both Devs and community to ensure it does create balance rather than destroy it - thats the entire point behind the balance forums and test server so we the players can help identify any problems or oddities which may occur from things suggested. I'm sure the game was once in a much better shape balance wise than it is now and as its evolved things have changed completely changing that balance scope out of any manageable scale. KK are fixing the balance and ensuring it'll take alot more or even wont happen again with new mechanics to stop bizarre balance shifts from the simplest of additions.

Think just how much the introduction of Monk, PE and Spy PA did to the game, it changed ALOT of things and possibly was one of the main factors of the current monk-o-cron regime we see ingame but people ajusted. We'll be able to adjust to the new changes with the test server and over time people will accept and apprechiate the new systems and much fairer game.

We just need to ensure things are right in our point of view before they hit the retail servers and KK are letting us do that.

@ Ras, you seem to be a bit short sighted.

KK at the moment are just identifying what we want from the classes and how we think they should opperate while giving us their different takes on our feedback in the process with their propositions.

Once that foundation is created the balance of the current items will be done, Dirus has already let on in many posts around the forums before the balance forums opened that he would deffinetly see to that, just for a pleasant change KK are actually doing something properly taking everything into account and making a good job of it instead of rushing a bandaid fix which will be thrown out the window at the next addition of a weapon.

I think people need to give KK a little bit more time before the flaming torches are lit and we see a witch hunt on our hands.

Sammson
31-03-06, 20:08
Yeah, I'd have to agree Trat, haven't they already made a fantastic game? These are very talented guys and I'm sure we can trust em with any changes they wanna make. Besides, changes are good, if you do anything long enuff it gets stale....

Dribble Joy
31-03-06, 20:14
Yeah, I'd have to agree Trat, haven't they already made a fantastic game? These are very talented guys and I'm sure we can trust em with any changes they wanna make. Besides, changes are good, if you do anything long enuff it gets stale....
It may be a great game, but it's a mess balance wise.

Sammson
31-03-06, 20:26
Agreed, but we can say the same about real life. And the sweetness of MMorpgs is that as in real life, the only constant is change. Even better, in here we have the opportunity to "all pull together as a team". Imagine the potential...

(Heheh, sorry, Floyd making me reflect on the big picture again )

krynstone
31-03-06, 20:45
I don't think they strictly plan on introducing nanites and removing tank psi etc. I think they also plan on balancing weps and imps etc. I believe they stated that somewhere. The propositions are not the only thing being worked on at the moment.

giga191
31-03-06, 21:19
Most importantly of all: this game will never progress without changes