PDA

View Full Version : vsync

Kazuya
30-03-06, 12:26
lo there i need a help finding the vsync option (i want to turn it off) but cant find it.
i got an ati x800xl using catalyst control center but cant find vsync option any1 know where is it? or if i should instal other drivers etc... thx for help

elGringo
30-03-06, 12:38
turning off vsync is the outmost stupid single thing a NC player could possibly think of.
Leave vsync enabled for NC - turning it off can cause massive performance issues and client instability.

Kazuya
30-03-06, 12:50
i only asked u how to turn it off not asking u if its idiots or not doing it

Ryen
30-03-06, 15:35
i only asked u how to turn it off not asking u if its idiots or not doing it

I was going to help you until you posted this incomprehensible nonsense.

turning off vsync is the outmost stupid single thing a NC player could possibly think of.
Leave vsync enabled for NC - turning it off can cause massive performance issues and client instability.

Are you two talking about the same thing? Vsync just causes the graphics card to slow down framerate to correspond with your refresh rate; eliminating that ripping effect on your screen.

I prefer it on, but I don't see how that could cause stability problems with any game.

I'd like you to write better italian than he writes english :angel:

I didn't mind the english so much as the uncalled for insult.

Bugs Gunny
30-03-06, 15:36
I'd like you to write better italian than he writes english :angel:

Kazuya
30-03-06, 15:43
:p sorry for my english but if u dont help me because i write it bad then u racism :D
btw some ppl say it makes problem with stability because the frame refresh its too fast for ur video card or something like that (but i think its bullshit)

Ryen
30-03-06, 15:45
btw some ppl say it makes problem with stability because the frame refresh its too fast for ur video card or something like that (but i think its bullshit)

Unless you have an intel extreme graphics card from 5 years ago this is bullshit.

CMaster
30-03-06, 15:45
I seem to think that the options are in DX Diag.
As for Vsynch and NC - for some unknown reason, playing NC with Vsynch off leads to rubber-banding on zoning, vehicle problems and stutter issues for many people, although I don't believe the reasons for this are understood.
[edit] NVm, there is an overide option id DXDIAG, but not a general on/off setting...

Ryen
30-03-06, 15:51
I seem to think that the options are in DX Diag.
As for Vsynch and NC - for some unknown reason, playing NC with Vsynch off leads to rubber-banding on zoning, vehicle problems and stutter issues for many people, although I don't believe the reasons for this are understood.

Dx Diag is a diagnostic tool, there aren't any options except basic stability controls. Not advanced, GPU specific optimizations.

How the fuck would Vsync cause problems? There's some seriously shoddy coding if this is true, since it's an option that should be unrelated with stability.

I'll contradict myself and actually help.

In the catalyst control, go into advanced mode, then 3d options (I think, I'm at school without access to said program). There should be a vsync control in there somewhere.

Kazuya
30-03-06, 16:47
when i open the control center under graphic settings there are some voice, one is 3d and under it there are standard settings, anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, catalyst A.I.m mipmap detail level, smartshader, all settings, api specific. Inside these option nothing say about vertical sync. only under all settings its say wait for vertical refresh but i dont think its vsynch...
sorry for bad english :o

pabz
30-03-06, 16:58
Takes one to know one

Synchronize
30-03-06, 17:02
VSync mean : Wait for vertical synchro :)

giga191
30-03-06, 17:43
:p sorry for my english but if u dont help me because i write it bad then u racism :D
vsynch will limit your FPS to your screen's maximum refresh rate, but it won't cause any problems if your FPS is below the refresh rate

jini
30-03-06, 18:24
vsynch will limit your FPS to your screen's maximum refresh rate, but it won't cause any problems if your FPS is below the refresh rate
aaaah, so thats why I allways get upto 62 fps no matter what
Ryan, tell me please how can I get rid of it?

CMaster
30-03-06, 18:26
aaaah, so thats why I allways get upto 62 fps no matter what
Ryan, tell me please how can I get rid of it?
Why do you want to?
You won't see any difference, and it is known to cause problems in NC...

RusSki
30-03-06, 18:33
Ya cmaster isnt telling lies, it does make the probs he suggested occur on some systems.

But try it see if it does cause probs. If it doesnt then thats great. If it does then well..... he told you so :)

landofcake
30-03-06, 19:34
VSync doesn't normally cause problems whether it's on or off (tearing and mouse lag aside) ... but in the mad world of NC ... we may never know ;)

Kazuya
30-03-06, 19:41
no1 can help me? i asked where is the option not if its good to take it off or no.
i already done before and went great but i had different drivers or something it seems because now (after i formated) i cant find it anymore (some1 formated it for me and installed drivers because i had virus).
I cant find it anymore because i got catalyst control center now.

landofcake
30-03-06, 19:50
Erm, i can't remember exactly where the option is in NC, but it can be forced off in your graphics cards advanced options ... if you're running Nvidia you can right click on the desktop and go to Nvidia display, it should be under Performance/Quality options.

elGringo
30-03-06, 21:45
Unless you have an intel extreme graphics card from 5 years ago this is bullshit.

From my observations, I'd say you are wrong here.
The _newer_ the system you run NC on .. the more problems disabled vsync will cause!
The rubber-band effect after syncing is just a minor issue caused by it... I've seen more than one who had error.logs sized 60+ MEGAbytes ..thats 60+ megs of ASCI only for using zonechange-actors with disabled vsync... enabling vsync always solved the issue. This usually appears on high-end machines... I dont know why, but NC certainly runs better with vsync enabled.

besides.. there is no reason to turn off vsync. Some people claim that vsync will cost you a fraction of a second in terms of response time ... but considering how NC works and considering the 20-150ms delay caused by the networking there's really no advantage, having a higher framerate than what your screen is capable to show.

IceStorm
30-03-06, 22:00
As most have already pointed out, leave vsync enabled. Turning it off causes rubber-banding problems for the client after zoning.

I've had vsync issues across both ATI and nVIdia cards. Turning vsync back on fixes the problem.

jini
31-03-06, 07:43
We don't ask for some theory background or what will happen if.. we just ask how to turn the fucking thing off. If you can't or dont want to reveal this highly secret issue then there's just no need to post in this thread. You can all start a new thread explaining with highly technical details the risks one has by turning this off, like case is going to melt, silicon will degrade and the like.
We can't cooperate and answer a simple question and we expect to get along and ballance this game :(

cMz
31-03-06, 09:52
Google is your friend if you want to find things like this !!!

Search for: vsync turn off catalyst control center

Get this (top link):
Wait for Vertical Sync: Vertical Sync (Vertical Synchronization, also called VSync) is the synchronization of your graphics card and monitor's abilities to redraw the screen a number of times each second (measured in FPS or Hz). If this slider is set to 'Application Preference', whether VSync is enabled or disabled will depend on the VSync setting in each particular game. This is the mode I strongly recommend, since you can then adjust VSync in each game separately. If you are certain you want to disable VSync for all your games, select 'Always Off' here. Generally speaking, turning off VSync gives the fastest performance however if VSync is disabled you may see some image "tearing" as your monitor and graphics card go slightly out of synchronization when the refresh rate exceeds the monitor's abilities. If you are certain you want to force VSync to be enabled in all your games, regardless of their individual settings, select 'Always On' here (not recommended). When VSync is enabled, this removes all image tearing, but can reduce performance and limits your maximum framerate to the refresh rate (e.g. at 70Hz, with VSync on your maximum FPS in a game can only be 70 frames per second). Note that under OpenGL, 'Application Preference' is actually split into 'Default On' and 'Default Off' - this means that VSync will be On or Off by default unless specified otherwise by the game.

This paragraph was just below the middle of the whole page. I searched for vsync in the text and found it like that.

I dont have an ATI card so cant check, but it sounds like they know what they are doing :-)

Bugs Gunny
31-03-06, 10:07
With vsync off, i never get tearing in neocron, but what i do get is infinite synchs.
I'll log in, have massive fps, zone a few times then i zone again and blam.... i see the fps counter go to 485... to 150 back to 500 and that's the end.....
If i wait and sometimes i do zone through i won't be able to use my quickbelt items.

So how do you explain that behaviour?

Koshinn
31-03-06, 11:05
Yeah, vsync on is much better for NC. Enabling/disabling vsync is graphics card and driver specific.

For ATI Omega Drivers, right click desktop -> properties -> settings -> advanced

Choose the 3D tab, select Direct3D (as NC is a DX game), click on the "Use custom settings" checkbox to enable it and click on the "Custom" button.

New window opens up, near the bottom it says "Wait for Vertical Sync" with a slide bar to its right. Slide the bar all the way to the right to make it "Always on" or slide it all the way to the left to make it "Always off."

There you go.

Bugs Gunny
31-03-06, 11:07
Koshin, i take it you are a fan of my quotes? :D

Koshinn
31-03-06, 11:10
Only 2 of them are yours. :p

CMaster
31-03-06, 11:22
I did try to find out, but I couldn't find the option is my (slightly old) catalyst controls anywhere. Which is odd as I know I hace turned it on before. DXDIAG allows you to force a certain vertical refresh ratem but thats not quite what you are after...

giga191
31-03-06, 13:51
Just have it set to application controlled