PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Watercooling.

Glok
27-03-06, 17:27
Ok, so I have this AthlonXP2800+ right? Overclocked to 2196MHz right?

Can I realistically expect to get more from it if I go to watercooling? I'm looking at the Thermaltake 'BigWater' thingy? Is there anything I should know before jumping into total computer nerd land? Can I put another question mark? Yes I can?

CMaster
27-03-06, 17:39
For the cost of the watercooling, you can almost certainly BUY a processor as fast as you can overclock to, but hey, overclocking gives a bigger e-penis, right?

blackpheonix
27-03-06, 17:42
Is there anything I should know before jumping into total computer nerd land? Can I put another question mark? Yes I can?

yeah connect the pipes properly coz electricity and water DO NOT mix :p

Collen
27-03-06, 17:45
Tbh Vapochill (xe) gas cooling system rocks :)
playing Nc with - 27.0 º at processor its evan better lol

Glok
27-03-06, 17:56
For the cost of the watercooling, you can almost certainly BUY a processor as fast as you can overclock to, but hey, overclocking gives a bigger e-penis, right?You dork. NC is processor intensive, AXPs aren't being made anymore, and upgrading to a A64 would cost way more than the $150 I'm looking at for watercooling, because it would mean replacing practically all my components.

I forgot about those Vapochill widgets. I'll have to look at those too. :)

CMaster
27-03-06, 17:57
Sorry, wasnt aimed at you or this particular scenario, just a general observation on overclockers who buy chips just to spend lots of money on cooling and overclocking. Vapochill is fancy, but arent their units REALLY expensive? havent checked in a while.

Glok
27-03-06, 18:09
Heh. I'm a bit jumpy today. Blame it on resubscription jitters. :p The highest XP was 3000+ when they were still available, so really the only way to get more is OCing. I think those dudes who buy cheap ass chips just to OC are a bit daft also. :)

PepsiPlayer
27-03-06, 19:42
I use a watercooling system to cool my XP2700, and it runs very stable at 28 degrees with an overclock speed of 2.3Ghz, and that system only cost me 70quid, so go for the watercooler.

It looks cool to see pipes inside ya PC and beside that it is a damm sight quieter than having loads of fans in ya case. If you need any advice as to the fitting and maintainance of said system, drop me a PM.

Dirus
27-03-06, 23:55
Sorry, wasnt aimed at you or this particular scenario, just a general observation on overclockers who buy chips just to spend lots of money on cooling and overclocking.

Not always. I shoved a $200 watercooling system on my AMD64 3000+ 1.8Ghz that I picked up for $185(5months ago). I had it running at 2.6Ghz which is up near the FX-55 which is $850(today). So basically for half the money all I'm missing is half the L2 Cache. It also out performed a Intel P4 560 which is $500(today).

Theres 2 schools of overclockers, those who are in it for the Benchmark scores who spend $$$$ just to get a few extra points on 3DMark, and those like me who do it to get the most outta the least amount of money.

But I also have the Watercooling installed for its looks as well, since I use a dual drive bay reservoir thats lit up.

RogerRamjet
28-03-06, 00:04
Aesthetics is all that count.

CMaster
28-03-06, 00:12
Eh, I phrased it badly. Naturally, do to the extreme cost of top-end PC stuff, you'd generally do better spending extra on cooling and pushing the limits of just-down-from-top end. And yeah, they don't see the XP line any more - which is a shame as I wanted to replace my 2200+ with a 3000+, but they axed it a month or so before I decided to buy. As for looks - I think PC internal look ugly no matter how much fancy snazz you do, so I'ma no-case window man. Gotta apreciate a nice looking case mind.

Glok
28-03-06, 02:00
So the steady ~30°C should allow me a higher OC? I think I'll grab a kit then.

I guess the only real advice is don't let it drip, right?

Dirus, I'm gonna order one of those 2bay flow/level things too, they just looked too sick to pass up. :lol:

Dirus
28-03-06, 03:03
So the steady ~30°C should allow me a higher OC? I think I'll grab a kit then.

I guess the only real advice is don't let it drip, right?

Dirus, I'm gonna order one of those 2bay flow/level things too, they just looked too sick to pass up. :lol:

Dripping isnt all that "big" of a deal. You need to use Distilled Water, which if it's real contains almost no minerals which are what actually conduct electricity not the water it's self. If you really want a weird cooling system, look up oil cooling. Basically with Oil you seal your case and just fill it with oil. Some people even use cooking Oil.

Edit: The Thermal limit for most AMD XP chhips was around 70°C to 90°C. I forget what ones were lower, but i know my old 2400+ was one of the 90°C ones. It used to run at around 50-60°C all the time.

Glok
28-03-06, 03:57
My brother has a 2400+ in his HP system, he was having problems one day (it was the vidcard overheating) and I happened to notice the CPU was idling at 62°C. I just about flipped out. But apparently it was just fine running at that temp. Kinda gave me an insight into the ice cold obsession, it's mostly a waste of time until OCing comes into play.

Oil cooling, I've seen that. Some dude posted up pictures of his setup, his PC was in an aquarium filled with mineral oil. That's a bit too.. extreme for my tastes.

edit: I'm looking at fitting the radiator to the 120mm fan in my powersupply, it'll go rad > fan > psu > fan > out the back. Is that a good idea or just dumb?

more fire
28-03-06, 04:06
i dunno much but during op fights i get like 15-250 fps lol

Dribble Joy
28-03-06, 04:59
Air or water, as long as you can get the temp down it's all good.

That said, different methods work in better areas.
I won't bore you all with thermodynamics of it all. As long as you can get the energy away from the right parts.

You can allways go pure passive water/liquid cooled, but you ither have to know exactly what you are doing or buy some pricey stuff.

CMaster
28-03-06, 12:18
My brother has a 2400+ in his HP system, he was having problems one day (it was the vidcard overheating) and I happened to notice the CPU was idling at 62°C. I just about flipped out. But apparently it was just fine running at that temp.

#Yeah, I think mine runs at around 60 doing nothing, get up to 70 or so gaming. Its sorta depended on your processor mind - thats normal for a certain generation of athlons, but for other processors it would be worrying.

james_finn
28-03-06, 13:05
Sorry, wasnt aimed at you or this particular scenario, just a general observation on overclockers who buy chips just to spend lots of money on cooling and overclocking. Vapochill is fancy, but arent their units REALLY expensive? havent checked in a while.

I use a Zalman CPS 9500 air cooler for my CPU, and it keeps my overclocked operton 144 (from 1.8 to 2.8GHz) around 40 even under load. I dont think that water cooling would lower that temp much more, so I think IMHO thats its a bit of a waste of money when there are such good air coolers.

My Opteron 144 was 150 pounds and its running at the same as a FX-57 with is a 500 pound processor, and the cooler cost me 35 pounds, so tbh its not that expensive, only downside is that fact that you increase the silicon migration within the chip, and if you increase the voltage too far then you end up with voltage leakage across the transistors, but thats what you have to accept when you overclock.

Delphi

CMaster
28-03-06, 13:06
This oil cooling idea intrigues me, but I'm not entirely sure how reliable it would be...

Glok
28-03-06, 13:37
I use a Zalman CPS 9500 air cooler for my CPU, and it keeps my overclocked operton 144 (from 1.8 to 2.8GHz) around 40 even under load. I dont think that water cooling would lower that temp much more, so I think IMHO thats its a bit of a waste of money when there are such good air coolers.

My Opteron 144 was 150 pounds and its running at the same as a FX-57 with is a 500 pound processor, and the cooler cost me 35 pounds, so tbh its not that expensive, only downside is that fact that you increase the silicon migration within the chip, and if you increase the voltage too far then you end up with voltage leakage across the transistors, but thats what you have to accept when you overclock.

DelphiThat's actually why I'm moving to watercooling, the voltage thing. I've set my limit at 1.8V and the only thing that will make a difference now is a few degrees. I'm not expecting any miracles mind you, just a few MHz. :p

Besides, it will be good experience.

giga191
28-03-06, 13:53
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2006/01/09/strip_out_the_fans1/

Bugs Gunny
28-03-06, 14:49
This oil cooling idea intrigues me, but I'm not entirely sure how reliable it would be...

Pretty damn reliable if you don't rev it too high and change the oil, filter and sparkplugs on a regular basis :D

I run a mobile amd 2500 (standard at 1833mhz) at 2500mhz on aircooling SP-97 heatpipe with papst fan(not in the summer though) and i have the thermal shutdown thing on my motherboard Abit NF7-S (with L12 mod) set at 85°C. It was a rather cheap sollution which outperformed a lot of other more expensive computers.
Took me two weeks of looking into the whole thing before i got everything right, as it was my first ever overclock.

EDIT: I have been looking into a suitable cooling system for summer and to get rid of some fans in my case which drive me nuts if i don't use headphones.
This plexiglass oilcooled thing looks kind of cool.

Ryen
28-03-06, 15:36
Just be very, very careful if you decide on watercooling. I've heard bad things from friends (along the lines of "OH SHIT TUBE BROKE OH GOD MY EVERYTHING IS FRIED")

Glok
28-03-06, 15:46
Thus my assertion that it 'will be good experience'... :lol:

Nah, if I am anything, it's careful. I haven't fucked up a single component yet, and I've been building PCs for 5ish years now.

Bugs Gunny
28-03-06, 16:16
I friend one processor when i didn't reattach the cooling fins right after moving it to another mainboard. One downside to amd , when you screw up the band starts singing "burn baby burn!, Crispy inferno!"

giga191
28-03-06, 16:41
My fan bracket wasn't sitting properly on my CPU once, but luckily my PC shut down itself. When I looked in my PC, I saw that my fat fan/heatsink had fallen off and landed on my new £150 graphics card :lol:

Glok
28-03-06, 16:49
One night a couple years ago when I first built my current comp I replaced the powersupply in it while completely drunk off my ass... but I don't remember doing it. I woke up the next morning and there was the psu that was in my new case sitting on the rug. I don't even know if anything was actually wrong with it, but it was one of those cheap ones that case makers insist on putting in their cases so I guess it was for the better.

R3N3GADE
28-03-06, 20:09
ive heard of ppl using anti freeze in there systems one for the colour and secondly it cools at a more efficient rate BUT it needs to be changed regular as its corrosive especialy on aluminium if its not heated up enough it goes off fast and then ur ali parts will be white in no time

as for oil i only use silkolene semi synthetic in my bike it owns :rolleyes:

Dirus
28-03-06, 22:08
ive heard of ppl using anti freeze in there systems one for the colour and secondly it cools at a more efficient rate BUT it needs to be changed regular as its corrosive especialy on aluminium if its not heated up enough it goes off fast and then ur ali parts will be white in no time

as for oil i only use silkolene semi synthetic in my bike it owns :rolleyes:

It's Ethylene Glycol aka Anti-Freeze, the Automotive type's job is to "prevent" corrosion of parts that occurs when you mix brass with copper with aluminum, it also acts as a lubricant to the pump, and helps prevent algae from forming. The downside to it is that it's properties also cause it to "retain" heat to a degree, pure water it's self dissapates heat faster then Ethylene Glycol. The main reason you see engines using a mix is due to the fact it has a much lower freezing point and a much higher boiling point then water. It's when it starts breaking down that it gets bad for things like aluminum, it takes about 3wks at a constant 100c for it to break down, of course this is when you're talking about uninhibited Ethylene Glycol, the stuff used in Automtove areas is inhibited and contains chemicals that stop it from eating at metals.

An alternative for Ethylene Glycol is Propylene Glycol. It's more expensive, but it cools better, not as hard on the metal parts, and is less toxic.

elGringo
28-03-06, 22:25
I wont insult you as I think you're a nice guy... and besides, I do not insult smart-asses :p

Spermy
28-03-06, 23:20
Aesthetics is all that count.

Heh, because we all know, Souped up PC's > souped up cars when it comes to picking up chicks.

<_<

:D

R3N3GADE
29-03-06, 19:52
if u need a car to pull a bitch then she aint worth it and if she will fit in ur PC then u wont get ur cock in her

Strife
29-03-06, 20:46
Does anyone know of a site where it gives out maximum temp that certain cpu's can handle? I remember looking around the AMD site for my 3500+, but i couldn't find any max temp thing. Mine's running at 47c idle, and wondering if i could get the 2.2ghz up to like 2.6 or 2.7 with no real overheating problems.

Dirus
29-03-06, 22:41
Does anyone know of a site where it gives out maximum temp that certain cpu's can handle? I remember looking around the AMD site for my 3500+, but i couldn't find any max temp thing. Mine's running at 47c idle, and wondering if i could get the 2.2ghz up to like 2.6 or 2.7 with no real overheating problems.

AMD64's have a max of 70c (http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/30430.pdf)

Kierz
02-04-06, 21:03
well my 32-bit 3200+ coped fine when it was running at 80+ degrees, didn't like 90+ tho :p

edit/ and can we get some Ethylene Glycol ingame? :>