PDA

View Full Version : [POLL] One-Slot Server Post-Balance

-FN-
21-03-06, 21:56
Would you play on a one-slot server where everyone had to start from scratch after the 2.2 Gameplay Balance is implemented and polished?

Personally, I'd give up everything on Terra in a second to have the 1-Slot atmosphere back.

b00n
21-03-06, 22:03
most definately... PLUTO FTW

sanityislost
21-03-06, 22:08
yea prolly would , but i think it could be bad thing splitting up the population more than it already is

SiL ..:..

-FN-
21-03-06, 22:22
yea prolly would , but i think it could be bad thing splitting up the population more than it already is
I definitely agree on that - but in retrospect, Pluto's populations, even in NC1s lowest points, were always on-par with Saturns during 'peak' hours. Post-balance, we're hoping for an influx of new players and an Announcement of a new 1-Slot server would most likely bring a lot of old players back, especially when the PvP is more balanced... all theoretical, but hey, one can dream :p

PepsiPlayer
21-03-06, 22:23
Bugger that, the pop isnt that high as it is, doing that would only reduce the server pop, and only the hard core would be up for it, we need to attract more new players before this can even be remotly thought of. Get the player base up first and then lets talk about it eh?

Comie
21-03-06, 22:27
change the german 1 slot server to an international server and i'll be there.

oh and allow it to be in the language YOU choose not the server language

Dogface
21-03-06, 22:29
Nah I wouldn't really like this, it doesn't really seem worth it having to play one char on the only server that speaks the same language as I do. Especially if EVERYONE had to start from scratch.

I think it's safe to say we won't get the same kind of community/atmosphere just by booting out three char slots.

Comie
21-03-06, 22:32
yea cos logging an procity alt so that you can PK is an atmosphere?

Dogface
21-03-06, 22:34
[edit]

Better not say that >.<

I've never logged a procity anything to PK anyone. If you wieners stopped allied PKing, noobs wouldn't have to do so.

And how do people always manage to find some kind of reason to start a bitch fight no matter what the topic?

This is not NC1 anymore, get the fuck over it.
(Not directed to FN)

Apocalypsox
21-03-06, 22:51
Its kind of hard for me to decide...i love playing so many different types of characters...but lately i have wanted to have all my NC knowledge reset, so i can start over and enjoy NC like that again. Being a newby was fun!

-FN-
21-03-06, 23:07
I think it's safe to say we won't get the same kind of community/atmosphere just by booting out three char slots.
It wouldn't be the "same" as Pluto - but the mindset of those people who play a one-slot is different than those who play a four-slot, as evidence of the Pluto/Saturn days. When people become known by playing a certain character most of the time, that in itself creates an atmosphere that makes people feel like they know other people. NC2 has a lot of players who love to hide behind anonymity, but also has a lot of players who hate that. Saturn and Pluto both used to flourish because each community was separate and weren't constantly griding against eachother. The people on Saturn *loved* Saturn and the people on Pluto *loved* Pluto. That sociological difference won't ever change - there will always be people for both sides.

But yes, of course I realize NC1 is gone, I got over it, and I play on Terra. In this post, I'm talking post-balance, if the playerbase grew. I think an Announcement saying something to the tone of: "Neocron: Evolution 2.2 Balance Changes Implemented and a Fresh One-Slot Server Opened" would attract more people than the 2.2 announcement alone.

One thing that's for certain though, Pluto did not undergo the database problems Saturn was plagued with. Everyone jokes saying Terra got Saturn's database problems... but in a way it's true.

1 Account @ 4 Slots == 4 Characters worth of data
1 Account @ 1 Slot == 1 Character worth of data

And most people on Pluto had two accounts (PvP/Tradeskill), so to be fair:

2 Accounts @ 1 Slot == 2 Characters worth of data

I'm willing to bet the overall database size of Saturn compared to Pluto was at *least* 2:1. What Terra inherited was the Technological Fact that it's database will always be more glitch-ridden as it's a 4-Slot Server.

Bigger Database == More Required Maintenance == Harder To Manage == More Possibility for Problems

Paper Dragon
21-03-06, 23:11
I certainly would.

If the rebalance is as big as it's shaping up to be, then I can see Neocron playing a lot differently in the low levels (and, indeed, the higher ones). Starting a new character like would allow me to experience all of it again.

Besides, the character could be capped in a week or two so it's hardly a massive investment of time we're talking about here.

-FN-
21-03-06, 23:16
IIf the rebalance is as big as it's shaping up to be, then I can see Neocron playing a lot differently in the low levels (and, indeed, the higher ones). Starting a new character like would allow me to experience all of it again.
Wow, another huge reason that I didn't even think of. I was thinking new for the idea that for returning and new players, starting at the same point would be much more appealing than starting where everyone else is already capped and has everything they need. But re-learning the game with the new character setups in-place would be fun... might even give Apocolypso something like that "new feeling" he mentions... figuring out "what works on what" again.

RusSki
21-03-06, 23:22
Exactly, if the changes are as deep and far reaching as they have been suggested then everyone is going to have to relearn the game anyway.

edit : dag nam, i didnt get as far as -fn-'s last post but i share the same opinion.
Everyone starting on what is going to be the most level playing field there possibly can be.

Bishop Yutani
21-03-06, 23:27
hell yes.

Not that i have all that much to "give up".

giga191
21-03-06, 23:34
I can see it leading to people wasting even more time constantly re-rolling chars than they currently do.

Dogface
21-03-06, 23:43
I think 4 slots is a tad generous, I wouldn't mind 2 or 3. At least then I'd have some freedom with my characters. But I'm happy with 4. Partly because I don't involve myself with large clans / fucktard players who just seem to bitch at eachother constantly about every single fight whether they win or lose.
But saying that, I don't have any in-game friends (at all) to run around PKing/leveling/hunting/clanning/going on vent with so yeah, I can see what you mean about being known on one character without hiding behind an alt.

Makes me wonder why I still play NC on my own :confused:

It's the crack I tell you !

giga191
22-03-06, 00:11
I'd go insane if I played NC on my own

Dogface
22-03-06, 00:21
Trade - NC: Buying friends, paying well. DM.

Breakaway
22-03-06, 00:28
Very good idea, as in nc 1 pluto was a nice server and people respected people more as they only had 1 char, therefor they wouldnt want to mess up their reputation.

5 stars :)

RogerRamjet
22-03-06, 00:42
If balance works well, the populations rise for a period of months and not just a few days after its implemented maybe.

Right now, no.

giga191
22-03-06, 00:44
I'm glad they're making a test server. I think most of the population would quit after the first balance patch unless it was properly tested and approved by players.

Zheo
22-03-06, 00:55
I definitely agree on that - but in retrospect, Pluto's populations, even in NC1s lowest points, were always on-par with Saturns during 'peak' hours. Post-balance, we're hoping for an influx of new players and an Announcement of a new 1-Slot server would most likely bring a lot of old players back, especially when the PvP is more balanced... all theoretical, but hey, one can dream :p

How does a 1slot server work? Do people really enjoy just playing a resser? or a barter? with no combat what so ever? I'd probably enjoy it but the population would have to be 40-50% before i'd want to play on it, simply because i'd want to know i can get things ressed and cst and implanted and such.

Dogface
22-03-06, 00:58
Zheo, loving your sig lol

Brammers
22-03-06, 01:08
/signed! Pluto FTW!

-FN-
22-03-06, 01:50
How does a 1slot server work? Do people really enjoy just playing a resser? or a barter? with no combat what so ever? I'd probably enjoy it but the population would have to be 40-50% before i'd want to play on it, simply because i'd want to know i can get things ressed and cst and implanted and such.
Most people have two accounts (good for KK, right?) The divide usually was a PvP character and a Tradeskiller, though harddcore PvPers went for two PvP characters and those more interested in 'business' had two tradeskillers.

You could name runners who everyone KNEW or eventually would know. Players had more of a chance to earn an identity. If you saw a name on your local, you knew...

KramerTheWeird - Tsunami Rifle PE is around...
MEGAMAN - PsychoKilla isn't far behind this tank...
ShadowDancer - $10 says he's on a Hovertech and coming at your fast...
Kurai - Odd that he's on your local since he's a rifle spy and should be sniping you... he must be CSTing...
Zai - Most popular constructor around, she'll build whatever you want for a price...
Praetorian - Need it fixed from someone who has a rep you can trust? See him...
Tupac, Alex, dog, G.0.D - Look for the tank in Pink, very distracting...
lilgreenguy - Hybrid extrodinaire about to roll over you...
Carinth, Dajuda, Polarity, CryptoChronic - He's a PPU, don't bother trying to kill him...
OHGODWYME - Rifle Spy who would rather die before he'd stealth...
Uho, Rade, Elkdor, freeejumper, Cracky - Pistol PEs incoming...
Sweet Leaf - Yeah, I'm getting PK'd...
Ehuyko, Binary Raptor - Probably the only other two Droners who started as Droners in NC1 and ended as Droners like myself...

Those are just a few off the top of my head. Many of these aren't people I actually knew, but people I knew from their reputation in-game. I've probably put just as many hours into Terra as I did into Pluto, but characters keep changing in Terra and clans come and go fast compared to NC1 days (NDA, SS, The Gang, TR, etc). I couldn't rattle off a list of "well-known" Terra people like that if I tried because so many names come and go. On a One-Slot server you can actually say "Player X leads Clan X" - but on a Four-Slot it's more like "Player X is the leader of Clan X but it's really Player Y's Alt"... it's hard for me to explain really... basically, for all the time on Terra, I can't even say that I can rattle off names of players that a 'fixtures' on the server. The population doesn't change much, it goes down if any, but you constantly see new names... but they're just OLD players with NEW runners most of the time. There are some names I'll recognize, but only because they're carried over from NC1. 9 times out of 10 you only see that character in the middle of logging through several other characters over the course of a fight.

Clans in general are a very different animal - nowadays we get as many of our alts in-clan as possible so we can log them on, come in through the UG with no SI and jump into the fight just like we never died. Clan number representation on a One-Slot server is much more accurate than a Four-Slot. When FF exceeded 100 people on Pluto near the end of NC1, Pro-City clans had to form rather large alliances to fight them because most clans were around 40-60. At worst, the number of real and ACTIVE players was half that, but a good number of people rely on one account so the ratio was > 50% of the runners listed in a clan were all separate people.

Regarding population - I'm not sure how it worked now looking back at it. The populations were about the same as they are now (though much higher at the very beginning of NC1). Pluto used to peak around 200 people and bottom out around 50 at it's worst times... which is pretty much what Terra does right now :p And try Terra at non-peak times now, you can't get a poke, cst, or res to save your life. Pluto in it's weakest days wasn't any different.

Bugs Gunny
22-03-06, 02:10
I'm not moving away from terra, i'll come on vacations to your 1 slot server, but my home is where i have all my stuff.

Sick
22-03-06, 08:23
Ehuyko, Binary Raptor - Probably the only other two Droners who started as Droners in NC1 and ended as Droners like myself...

ppfft how could you forget the mighty JinX0r? :P after all those drone fights above simmons :P
and as far as i knew you lommed out of drones ;)

Kierz
22-03-06, 08:24
I'd move but I'd be really sad to leave behind my STR woc pe.. to be fair I don't see what's wrong with allowing a char to be moved with quickbelt and imps/armour (not all the inv like pandore to terra, that was a bit too much).. maybe not money?

/signed

RogerRamjet
22-03-06, 09:59
People can get the same notoriety on a 4 slot server as a 1 slot.

The trick is to get all your alts famous aswell ;)

Comie
22-03-06, 10:55
ppfft how could you forget the mighty JinX0r? :P after all those drone fights above simmons :P
and as far as i knew you lommed out of drones ;)

oh god Jinxor... bastard droners

Torg
22-03-06, 11:57
count me in.

Shakey The Pimp
22-03-06, 12:44
Id roll a char there! Pluto was where I started back when NC went retail oh how I miss my melee/hacker Spy I played for a month in the sewers unLEd till i got told how lame it was :p

giga191
22-03-06, 13:41
Didn't they alrdy try this kind of thing with neptune?

Pluto died, neptune died, I doubt the next one would be much different

sl33py
22-03-06, 15:36
@Threadstarter:Yes I would

@all other replies, didn't read you, sorry

Comie
22-03-06, 15:38
Didn't they alrdy try this kind of thing with neptune?

Pluto died, neptune died, I doubt the next one would be much different

Pluto died cos NC1 died

Neptune died because it was PvP focused, not pluto-esq

Dogface
22-03-06, 16:02
Neptune died actually because people didn't like the loss of the safeslot, which made people keep LEs in longer. I'd say neptune was MUCH more suited for a RP server like a few other people have said before. It's a lot more.. Realistic isn't the word... Logical I think fits better.

[edit]

You guys can't understand how much I appreciated the Terra ruleset when I finally moved from Neptune. I could have a safeslot, spend TIME on a char instead of slashing some roaches and cap (although I did appreciate the leveling on Neptune too, it was nice). My chars of Terra, even though they have jackshit to what I got on Neptune - they're worth something because they were that little bit more effort.

But when I moved, I lost contact with the best in-game friends :(

Bugs Gunny
22-03-06, 16:08
Neptune died, because it ended up being the exact same thing as the other servers once people were capped. Only difference was that monks were at an advantage with easy slots on their spells.

Then clans got called back to terra/mars because they were losing ops. In the end everyone figured they might as well stick with the server where they had all their money/items.

giga191
23-03-06, 14:48
The only advantage of a one slot server is that you know who everyone is. I don't care myself since my memory is good enough to remember the alts of the people in my clan, and I don't care about my enemies

SorkZmok
23-03-06, 14:52
It's too late for that i guess.

Wouldve liked just 2 server from the start, 1 slot international and 4 slot international. Wouldve been so much better.

Dogface
23-03-06, 15:26
It's too late for that i guess.

Wouldve liked just 2 server from the start, 1 slot international and 4 slot international. Wouldve been so much better.

Agreed.

ZoVoS
25-03-06, 03:01
if i get the feeling of pluto back i would love it sooo much

even in the dieing days of pluto when only 16 of us were online it was good times =]

uN-Prawn
25-03-06, 12:31
only when we have tested the changes on the test Server first. I dont want to be the test bunny with my main char.