PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering.... Apple and Neocron...

Heavyporker
16-03-06, 05:46
I remember a week ago or so, Slashdot/Digg reported that Apple is moving to Intel-based chips.

Does this mean it would be possible (if already, then would it be easier) to play Neocron on an Apple computer?

I fucking drool at the thought of playing widescreen Neocron on one of these G5s ( we have them *all over* the place on campus!).

jini
16-03-06, 07:37
we can hardly play it on intels, and you really expect to be able to play on a mac?

eprodigy
16-03-06, 07:50
well the possibility of emulating could now be somewhat viable. at least as well as you could on linux with wine. i believe someone's already developing wine for os x.

im waiting for the next set of intel macs, but personally i'm just hoping to dual boot osx/windows just for gaming. os x is just an infinitely better os (had to plug it)

jini
16-03-06, 08:03
I dont have hopes for dual booting macs. There is some improvement going on, but you cant expect all this to be a serious alternative. http://www.macrumors.com/

Im using both platforms because, indeed OSX >> XP.
What I do believe will happen one day is that some companies will now program for both platforms, since its a lot more compatible now, and this I think is what Job's had in his mind, which is also right and decent tbh.

I remember some 20 years back when games begin to appear in PCs under dos. At these times games in Apple's finder were so much superior... Apple needs to redeem back its glory

Ryen
16-03-06, 08:04
Yes if it can emulate windows.

No if running from Mac OSX.

Heavyporker
16-03-06, 08:26
Considering that Neocron is definitely a niche game, can we realistically expect to see great benefits from trying to bring Neocron to the Mac/Linux users?

Dr J Zoidberg
16-03-06, 09:28
I have had it running on a mates macbookpro, It was taking up a lot of CPU for the emulator, but it is possible. I am going to try it on my 2nd spare PC and ill post the results here soon.

-Z

The Ottoman
16-03-06, 11:23
I fucking drool at the thought of playing widescreen Neocron on one of these G5s ( we have them *all over* the place on campus!).

I play on a 20" widescreen(1680x1050). ^^

http://users.skynet.be/karton/Images/shot0122.jpg

Ryen
16-03-06, 15:51
Widescreen has some horrible bugs. Everything is compressed, and in DX9, objects on the edges of the screens (outside of normal 4:3 territory) disappear.

Heavyporker
16-03-06, 16:18
Wow... any idea why it does that, Ryen?

n3m
16-03-06, 19:01
osx crashed more on me in year than windows 3.11 / 95 /
98 / me / 2k and xp together, must've done something wrong.
Also the mouse on a mac are shite, wtf would you use a
1 buttoned mouse and press ctrl for rbutton if you can have 2+ buttons? :/

eprodigy
16-03-06, 23:15
well I just plug in a third party mouse but one button is something you get used to. and the claim that it crashed more on you then ANY version of windows is just made up. i've used a mac as my primary machine for almost 8 years, so i might be biased, but it's nowhere near close enough for comparison.

jini
17-03-06, 08:59
osx crashed more on me in year than windows 3.11 / 95 /
98 / me / 2k and xp together, must've done something wrong.
Also the mouse on a mac are shite, wtf would you use a
1 buttoned mouse and press ctrl for rbutton if you can have 2+ buttons? :/
Waht you say is simply impossible. Impossible for s/w as well. Check for faulty hardware. I was once using an isdn usb modem from netgear (I hate this company) and indeed mac was crahing, but it was that shitty thing.
Ive dumped it and now system is rock solid. Never crashed no matter what the load for more than 12 months. Some programs tend to crash from time to time, but they dont take OS with them. You simply reload them and continue from where you were. When did this feature ever worked on XP (protected memory... yea sure)

The mice argument is moot. First you can use the wonderfull mighty mouse. second if you dont like those (OSX is built to work fine around a one button mouse) you can use every other mouse from Logitech and others.

I have both platforms on my desk. It's not by chance Im using my mac to do ALL kinds of work minus games. PC is only for games, and it doesnt even have ANY antivirus/antispy or anything else but the main OS, its drivers, couple of games, some 50+ kg of weight :p and 10times the volume my mac has

Ryen
17-03-06, 15:34
Wow... any idea why it does that, Ryen?

The engine is optimized in all the wrong ways. It simply stops rendering anything outside of the view area. While that's good to an extent, not showing objects outside of 4:3 in 16:9 or 16:10 is just lazy (and really goes to show the quality of the product, regarding bugs and such).

It's a fucking shame too, because when it's rendering everything (mainly just the wastelands) it looks beautiful. There are a few parts of Neocron that are rendered too, and it looks stunning when it is rendering correctly (I've been playing on and off for about 4 years now, so when the city looks stunning again in my eyes, it looks stunning).

Heavyporker
17-03-06, 16:30
Since that's coding, think KK could make an option to turn off that particular "optimization"?

yuuki
17-03-06, 16:50
erm i jus wanted to say that the software doesn't comunicate w the hardware directly, but through the os, so it basically doesn't matter if the mac's are ppc or intel based, as the macs operating system uses other libraries then windows does. :D

Ryen
17-03-06, 17:15
Well, a group has just gotten Windows XP running on Mactels. So if you have one, you can techincally play neocron on it; just with a lot of difficultly.

Also, if you guys with huge mac monitors really want to play on them, just plug em into an XP box.

Heavyporker
17-03-06, 17:31
Well, the "huge monitors" apple has that I was talking about, the G5s, are these computer'n'monitor-in-one dealies. Be kind of wasteful to just plug a whole computer into another computer just so you can use the display. It is frackin' huge and frackin' beautiful though.