View Full Version : OT: Real cop bots?

Androth
15-03-06, 22:03
http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Science-Fiction-News.asp?NewsNum=320

heh Wonder what they drop if you kill them? :P

-A

Logan_storm_03
15-03-06, 22:09
That little shit? I'll run the mutha down with my getaway car.

Apocalypsox
15-03-06, 22:26
i bet the drop an M249!!!

Androth
15-03-06, 22:28
That little shit? I'll run the mutha down with my getaway car.

You saw what they were armed with right? You getaway car would be blowed up before word boo tbh...

SWORDS (Special Weapons Observation Reconnaissance Detection Systems) robots are equipped with either the M249, machine gun which fires 5.56-millimeter rounds at 750 rounds per minute or the M240, which fires 7.62-millimeter rounds at up to 1,000 per minute.

These bad boys are being deployed in Iraq.

Dribble Joy
15-03-06, 22:45
There are still a pile of wank though, they say more accurate, but I doubt it. Human accuracy is near perfect (anyone who has fired a rifle properly knows how insanely accurate you can be), the only issues are with wind and build quality. They are slow, of limited mobility, limited awareness and the reaction speed is horrible.

Unless massive advancements are made, they will never replace real soldiers.

mdares
15-03-06, 22:51
all u gotta do is jump on the back of that baby and then take a hammer nad rip off the SAW then ur set =D

Androth
15-03-06, 22:51
Does accuracy really matter when you pumping out 1000 rounds a minute? These ones are remote controlled anyways, a human is still pulling the trigger so to speak.

-A

mdares
15-03-06, 22:58
a human might be pulling but the reaction times are gonna be a lot worse like dribble said. normally with a human gunner u just got the lagtime between optics sensing and sending signal to brain then brain sending sig to arm to aim then lastly finger to pull.

now wit hthat baby the lag is more like optics mount on bot to viewscreen for human -> eye optic nerves sensing to brain -> brain to finger on controller -> controller relay to bot to aim (which depending on the motors used could be shit...) -> then controller relay to bot to fire. (i know i skipped some steps but thats just to illustrate teh point).

u'll have a lag of nearly double that of a human gunner...

granted 1000 rouunds a min of consistant firing plain is impressive. so probably wut the mil is gonna do is field like 50 of these for every 200 square meter of fight space so the sheer amount of bullets in the air would be enough to compensate for the lag and the lack of reflex and mobility

Dribble Joy
15-03-06, 23:05
1000 rpm is pointless unless you are using it for suppressive fire or close combat, the latter not being that suited to one of these things. In the former, you never use full auto constantly, it's in short burts. Besides, I just wonder how much ammo these things can carry? And what happens when you get a stoppage?

Aside from the lag, I doubt the sensitivity and turn speed is anything like that of a person's either.

Toxen
16-03-06, 04:41
Lag will be the least of the issues for these types of bots, I've done a little work in intelligent robotics myself, One of the biggest problems always is self guideance in a unpredictable 3d dimensional enviorment. Quite litterally dump a lump of concrete in front of robot and the time it takes to navigate around a new obsticle will be what makes the difference, tis why alot of military robotics research will be pushing in the direction of airborne drones, heck knowing how advanced some militarys like to keep their technologicial programs theres probably a few prototypes out there that can navigate city enviorments hover select and shoot targets you're basicly just mating a automated control package onto some of the more heavy duty remote operated helicopters out there.

Ground based robots will always tend to have far more problems with object navigation until they can operate efficiently with bipedal or quadrapedal locamotion on a par with animals.

As for been faster and more lethal, so was artillery fire but we don't use it as much these days, simply because of collateral damage and military tactic's these days focus more toward surgical strike mind sets. Tbh the only real use I in my opinion could see for units like this is in riot type situtations or front line against large groups of infantry, where the aim is purely high death toll. Iraq is rather past the point of large military forces opposing collition forces, so units like these seem a tad redundant, plus not that many countries with large infantry divisions that would be going against the us anytime soom

mdares
16-03-06, 04:44
1000 rpm is pointless unless you are using it for suppressive fire or close combat, the latter not being that suited to one of these things. In the former, you never use full auto constantly, it's in short burts. Besides, I just wonder how much ammo these things can carry? And what happens when you get a stoppage?

Aside from the lag, I doubt the sensitivity and turn speed is anything like that of a person's either.

omg if that thing jams... LOL

pretty much a road block is all the purpose it can serve =p

a4nic8er
16-03-06, 05:43
"That's not a robot - it's a RC Device.
-------------
robot
noun [C]
a machine used to perform jobs automatically, which is controlled by a computer.
-------------
remote control
noun [C or U]
a system or device for controlling something such as a machine or vehicle from a distance, by using electrical or radio signals."

*yawn

unreal
16-03-06, 06:27
Aside from the lag, I doubt the sensitivity and turn speed is anything like that of a person's either.Mr Blobby with an Uzi ftw.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/ilove/years/1993/gallery/340/blobby.jpg

Apocalypsox
16-03-06, 06:40
Unrael im gonna have fuckin nightmares TBH...

[ edited ]

Paper Dragon
16-03-06, 16:06
Unrael im gonna have fuckin nightmares TBH...

[ edited ]

[ edited ]

nobby
16-03-06, 22:47
[ edited ]

Logan_storm_03
16-03-06, 22:52
Yeah WWII games are getting old. We need some fresh content.

Androth
17-03-06, 01:41
GO ARMEGEDDON GO WE NEED NEW GAMEZ!!!!1!!111one

Scaramanga
17-03-06, 01:56
Just for the record I'd rather we didnt have another World War in the next 75 years.

Lodar
17-03-06, 02:13
Please can we have no more war-mongering, jingoism, or other forms of political discussion on this thread please. Thanks.

john irons
17-03-06, 02:27
give an uzi to a qrio and set it to evil

Koshinn
17-03-06, 04:02
It's actually very accurate for one reason...

It's remotely controlled by a real person. It's as much of a robot as a UAV is.

Skusty
17-03-06, 13:08
Next timei see it on the street i'l jump on it and strap a sadle and a steering wheel and cruise aroundtown. :lol:

Ryen
17-03-06, 15:39
[ edited ]

That was the best reason for an edit I've yet to see on these forums. Well done lodar!

Just for the record I'd rather we didnt have another World War in the next 75 years.

[ edited ]

Brooklyn
17-03-06, 19:07
I've seen these in action in Iraq, and they do need A LOT of work but hell I'd rather stick a few of these on the enemy instead of my troops. Life if far more valuable then accuracy. And someone said sometihng about lag/response time? LOL dude trust me if you get hit your not gonna have much of a response time...[ edited ]

Lodar
17-03-06, 19:17
Thread closed for discussing politics.