PDA

View Full Version : [OT] PC CPUs

Koshinn
15-03-06, 06:06
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/05/25/dothan_over_netburst/

Yes, the article is about a year old, but still applies I think.

Pentium M 770 (2.1 ghz) beats the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition (3.4 ghz) and Athon 64 FX-55 (2.6 ghz) in most circumstances, and if not beats then gets really close.

Yes... laptop processors based on the Pentium III own desktop processors.

So that begs the question: if a CPU runs colder, draws less power and is faster, why don't more people use them? You can modify your mobos to run a Pentium M. The low heat allows you to overclock it if you like doing that... They said they achieved 2.5ghz with just a bigger pipeline.

pabz
15-03-06, 12:40
I would do that since I have a P4P800SE, but it costs too much ^^

Bugs Gunny
15-03-06, 12:46
I dunno about intel, but probably the same as the amd story:

In essence all amds chips were the same thing in the pre 64 bit thing, all they did was test them for errors, speed, powerconsumption and heat.
Then they got put in different containers according to what speed they "could" run at. The best ones were put in the laptop container.
Then they cut the bridges for each model, meaning your motherboard identified it as being a 2200+ etc....

This is the reason why i have a mobile amd 2500+ which standard runs at 1833mhz, but is overclocked to 2500mhz on aircooling.
Funniest thing is, it didn't cost much more than a normal one.

pabz
15-03-06, 12:55
What's the performance like though?

Brammers
15-03-06, 13:34
The Architecture between a P4 desktop CPU and a Pentium Mobile CPU is very different. The Desktop CPU have concentrated on Netburst, where the Mobile is a optimised P3, as you said.

And it seems Intel got it wrong with Netburst, hence why Pentiums 4's are slower than AMD's, and hotter than AMD's.

I have a old P3-700 box and a P4-1.6box (Which was a freebie) and to me, the P3 box feels faster for most things. Some things, such as compiling the P4 will beat the P3 box.

I think Intel in their next generation are ditching Netburst.

OT: Has anyone tried NC2 under Windows XP 64bit?

Bugs Gunny
15-03-06, 13:48
Performance is 38000 in aquamark with an msi 6800 128.
That's with a fresh windows install, standard drivers.

I think when it was tuned it did over 10000 in 3dmark2001 (with a 5900xt), but i lost that screenshot.

IceStorm
15-03-06, 13:52
why don't more people use them? You can modify your mobos to run a Pentium M. Pentium M is not pin-compatible with P4, even thought the sockets may be the same number of pins. There is one adapter for Socket 479 to Socket 478, but it's only for select Asus boards. Native P-M motherboards are also fairly expensive.

Besides, why would you buy a Pentium M for the desktop now when Conroe will arrive in Q3 (between July and September)?

laptop processors based on the Pentium III own desktop processors.Pentium M is not merely an "optimized P3". After Tinma was cancelled, Intel Israel was tasked with designing a CPU that was mobile-centric from the ground up. Prior to that, all Intel x86 mobile CPUs had been stripped down versions of a desktop design. While it appears to be similar to Pro/PII/PIII in many ways, it was built all-new from the ground up to minimize power draw. They didn't just take a PIII and strip it down.

Dr J Zoidberg
15-03-06, 14:03
OT: Has anyone tried NC2 under Windows XP 64bit?

Yes, but there is no difference in performance depending on the hardware involved.

-Z

Heavyporker
15-03-06, 16:04
Makes me wonder, though.

If you used that laptop stuff... just maybe...

Could you make your own Citycom lookalike, wall-mounted?

Or like a desk-mount, kind of like Apple's G5 thing, that sexy huge screen in the wite case, everything together in there.

Frankly, I'd kill for something like that.

Koshinn
15-03-06, 23:31
Makes me wonder, though.

If you used that laptop stuff... just maybe...

Could you make your own Citycom lookalike, wall-mounted?

Or like a desk-mount, kind of like Apple's G5 thing, that sexy huge screen in the wite case, everything together in there.

Frankly, I'd kill for something like that.

Would your homemade Citycom lag as much as the ones in NC? :angel:

Terayon
16-03-06, 04:16
I dunno about intel, but probably the same as the amd story:This is the reason why i have a mobile amd 2500+ which standard runs at 1833mhz, but is overclocked to 2500mhz on aircooling.
Funniest thing is, it didn't cost much more than a normal one.

Its why my next proc is going to be an opteron. BTW the fx55 and 53 beat that mobile until the mobile was overclocked.