PDA

View Full Version : Ceres ?

Rage
14-03-06, 19:12
Ceres, in Roman religion and mythology

sīr“ēz, in Roman religion and mythology, goddess of grain; daughter of Saturn and Ops. She was identified by the Romans with the Greek Demeter. Her worship was connected with that of the earth goddess and involved not only fertility rites but also rites for the dead. Her chief festival was the Cerealia, celebrated on Apr. 19, and her most famous cult was that of the temple on the Aventine Hill. There is much argument about the origins and nature of her cults. sorce (http://education.yahoo.com/reference/encyclopedia/entry/Ceres-gdess)

I'm sure thats not what they ment or tha whole thing behind Ceres but at least it has some real life story that has some strange things in all this... There is a Ceres Temple in Neocron

also... u ever think tha lil Elf in Jones Single player mission gone show her ugly face n tha world of NC ? She was packin that Ion Crossbow for those that got own'd by her .i still cant or havent beat her :lol:

Apocalypsox
14-03-06, 19:18
Hmm...thats kinda interesting...

and if i ever saw that damned monk in NC i would fuckin run it over in a reveller...damned elf

Tratos
14-03-06, 19:20
The origin of the name is actually mentioned in the history of Neocron ;)

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) launches the Ceres Project, which is designated to take 20 years to complete. The goal of this project is to store the entire stock of human knowledge on holodisc in an easily accessible manner. Publicly available science data of the present are reviewed and collected by a group of 250 professors and students from all over the world. Ceres is the Roman name of the Greek goddess Demeter, who was worshipped in ancient Greece as the mother of the earth and the goddess of fertility. The name was chosen because the knowledge of mankind is considered the seed (physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics, etc.) as well as the fruit (technology, architecture, medicine, agriculture, etc.) of planet Earth.

Linkage: http://ng.neocron.com/index.php?id=34

Rage
14-03-06, 19:26
ahh.wunt to far off.KK b doin they history .out of all tha stuff n tha world wonder what made them pick that as a base? because of Blade of Ceres they already had? mmmm .ehh mayb its like Star Wars. story there but implanting it later on and later on as the plot thickens

Dribble Joy
14-03-06, 19:28
Grammar... spelling... punctuation...

NNNEEEERRAAAAGHHH!!!!

*implodes*

Mr Kot
14-03-06, 19:35
also... u ever think tha lil Elf in Jones Single player mission gone show her ugly face n tha world of NC ?

She already did ;) There was an event at Christmas where we all got to kill the bitch

Toxen
14-03-06, 19:40
ahh.wunt to far off.KK b doin they history .out of all tha stuff n tha world wonder what made them pick that as a base? because of Blade of Ceres they already had? mmmm .ehh mayb its like Star Wars. story there but implanting it later on and later on as the plot thickens

Neh that history has been around since the dawn of nc

jini
15-03-06, 07:23
Grammar... spelling... punctuation...

NNNEEEERRAAAAGHHH!!!!

*implodes*
DJ, at times you sound like a 60 years old teacher/moma... Even I, a lot older than you and I dont mind. You gotta calm down here buddy

cRazy-
15-03-06, 07:37
I laughed at what DJ said tbh.

Castr0
15-03-06, 12:35
lol me too

Rage
15-03-06, 12:42
Neh that history has been around since the dawn of nc

really... how interesting. and to bad i missed the event. what did she drop or win from the event?

i havent kept up with Ceres, so any story sides the WoC thing. The last event I remember is when Regent Mobs attacked DoY

Well Im glad i bought this up. Not only am I learning stuff... other ppl are too :)

CMaster
15-03-06, 13:01
Ceres is a horribly, horribly overused word in NC. Here, to help you are some of its meanings:

Ceres - originally comes, as you found from the Roman goddess.
Ceres Project - Project in the 21st century to gather all human knowledge into a single databse - produces the ceres disks.

Ceres - name of a tribe and also that Tribe's leader. This tribe unites with Thor's tribe and finds the Ceres Disks

Ceres LabsLabs started by Ceres (the tribeleader) and Mercando to extract and develop ideas from the Ceres Disks.

Ceres WarWar between Neocron led by Reagant (typically seen as NC's greatest ever leader) and the Dome of York led by Ceres (the now anicent tribeleader) over who had control of the Ceres Disks. This led to the creation of gentanks and warbots and a lot of radiation.

Wisdom of Ceres Typically used to describe any knowledge aquired from the Ceres Disks, specifically used to describe the special abilites that can be gained by runners.

Ceres Temple Where runners go to aquire theyir Wisdom of Ceres levels. The "savants" here are presumably scientists who used to work on Mercando's projects.

Ceres War Soldiers/Infrantriests/etcSeemingly fighters from the Ceres War (although which side isnt clear) that got irradiated and bitter and now come back to lynch the people who abandoned them.

Right, good and confused now? You should be, KK have tried hard enough with overusing a single word.

Toxen
15-03-06, 13:52
Ceres the tribe leader got his name from the Tomb of a great warrior that couldn't be opened by ceres's team, It wasn't until ceres told thor of his expedition to the north and the tomb of ceres, that Mercando mentioned he had also heard the name ceres in relation to science and technology, prompting thor to go on an expedition and discover the tomb of ceres was actually the safe storage site of the ceres disc's. This led to the initial rift between ceres and thor.

Ceres disc's were basicly an intresting plot device to skip over the industrial revolution putting is in a post apocalyptic situation but still with advanced technology yet not been to far in the future.

Ryen
15-03-06, 15:57

Holy shit what is he saying

CMaster
15-03-06, 16:02
Holy shit what is he saying

OK, so I wasn't overly inaccurate. KK seem to have studied some history. I am curious as to why they chose Ceres of all gods as an inspiration however? Was it because they already had the Blade of Ceres? Maybe its like Star Wars and they plan to reveal more and more of the history as time goes on?

Rage - I think you are misunderstanding. The game background for factions and the history of the neocron world has been around for longer than the game...

Ryen
15-03-06, 16:35
Neocron has an awesome backstory. I just hope 2.2 fixes the bugs and balances the game. If they do, they have lifetime subscriber here.