PDA

View Full Version : [OT] X-Wing Alliance

Obsidian X
11-03-06, 23:51
Did anyone here play this, back in the day? I used to love XWA, XvT and Tie Fighter, its a damn shame they stopped making those kinds of games. For those that did play, has anyone tried playing it recently? I dusted off my copy of it the other week only to find that it doesn't work on Windows XP - I've tried patches, compatability mode and all that jazz, but no joy. Has anyone actually managed to get this game running in Windows XP?

Toxen
12-03-06, 03:09
Wasn't XWA release post XP.... dammit don't say back in the day your making me feel old and im only 21.

Koshinn
12-03-06, 09:57
XWA works on XP.
Tie fighter collector's CD works if you have dosbox... I think that's what it's called. It's a MS-DOS emulator. Alternatively you can somehow install MS-DOS on a partition. lol.

Tie fighter was one of the best games of all time.

Edit: Yeah dosbox!
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

suler
12-03-06, 10:04
I played them also, Wing commander was cool too.

Koshinn
12-03-06, 10:16
I played them also, Wing commander was cool too.
I love that game!

I love space sims in general I think, some of my favorite games of all time were TIE Fighter, Wing Commander 1-4 and Freespace 1-2. Too bad the genre has mostly died off. :mad:

But I guess when your competition are greats like the ones I mentioned, it's hard to make progress.

FarSight
12-03-06, 10:19
Elite, Frontier, Privateer bah its like 15+ years ago ? and im still playing games lol .... :eek:

suler
12-03-06, 10:20
Also Starlancer and Freelancer.

FarSight
12-03-06, 10:24
Also X Beyond the Frontier series

$ir Mafia
12-03-06, 16:21
Yeah, XWA works patched very well on my XP

And games like ELITE 1+2 should rise again :p

|R@zor|
12-03-06, 17:12
I loved X Beyond the frontier, i've just recently went to play it and i cant find the cd anymore, took me ages to find the case and when i opened it it was empty.

I was gutted.

Nidhogg
12-03-06, 17:28
They're up to X3 now. Not tried that one yet.

N

james_finn
12-03-06, 17:48
They're up to X3 now. Not tried that one yet.

N

X3 is an ok game, but you need hours to be able to get anywhere with it, its basically X2 but with a new pretty graphics engine bolted on.

Obsidian X
12-03-06, 17:56
Damn it you mean it works on XP? On mine it crashes before the missions actually start - I heard somewhere theres an issue with XWA and GeForce FX series cards - have to have another crack at it I guess. Did anyone here actually play it online (MSN Gaming zone)? :p

|R@zor|
12-03-06, 19:05
I was going to have a go at X3 but i heard somewhere they had some horrible framerate problem soon after launch.

I heard recently they fixed it but have'nt had a chance to try it out, might actually download the 900meg demo tonight and have a blast at it.

Koshinn
12-03-06, 22:12
Did anyone here actually play it online (MSN Gaming zone)? :p

Yep.

<- Emperor's Hammer, delta squadron commander, SSSD Sovereign. Those were the days.

Obsidian X
12-03-06, 22:17
Yep.

<- Emperor's Hammer, delta squadron commander, SSSD Sovereign.

Hehe I remember Emperor's Hammer, damn thats a long time ago. I was in a small clan known as Blessed Darkness, dunno if you heard of them our not, but our old clan leader, Sh'Riff was very well respected in the XWA community (he used to run the War Never Ends project).

Koshinn
12-03-06, 22:53
Hehe I remember Emperor's Hammer, damn thats a long time ago. I was in a small clan known as Blessed Darkness, dunno if you heard of them our not, but our old clan leader, Sh'Riff was very well respected in the XWA community (he used to run the War Never Ends project).

Sounds familiar but it's been a long time