PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it to play today?

Crashtec
09-03-06, 22:15
I am wondering if I should even play today. I don't want to do a shit ton of sympathy missions just to log on tomorrow and have it all rolled back just like 1 or 2 weeks ago.

Someone tell me should I even play? Can I be assured that there wont be a rollback because of this crappy patch?

Nidhogg
09-03-06, 22:27
There's no reason to suppose that there will be a rollback. It will be just another patch.

N

SpookFoxx
09-03-06, 22:32
You guys always just try to fix things "with another patch." It's getting old. Either rollback to a good, stable point in the game and spend some time making a REAL balanced patch, or you're going to lose alot of players.

Nidhogg
09-03-06, 22:39
You guys always just try to fix things "with another patch."
That's generally how stuff gets fixed in the software business, to be fair. :p There's no point in spending time patching back to a previous patch level. It would take longer than producing the hotfix.

N

pabz
09-03-06, 22:49
That's generally how stuff gets fixed in the software business, to be fair. :p There's no point in spending time patching back to a previous patch level. It would take longer than producing the hotfix.

N
Fair enough that the original beta version of the game was coded shit and had loads of bugs, but why after 3 years are they still unable to make bugless patches? I can't remember the last patch that didn't introduce an annoying bug of some sort, so what's to say that the hotfix doesn't break even more stuff?

Kame
09-03-06, 23:33
How could the reload be affected by new patch ?

In what area did the new coding change the reload we had ?

-FN-
09-03-06, 23:36
That's generally how stuff gets fixed in the software business, to be fair. :p There's no point in spending time patching back to a previous patch level.
The Devs need to spend some time working on their tools then I think. This many years into Neocron and loot tables are still getting broken after patches - in the IT world, we invent utilities to do things, such as changing a child function of a parent item (loot from mobs) - in such a way that it's A) automated B) easy(ish) C) consistent.

The way the loot tables get edited now, you almost think they open some text file and guess where to put some numbers :rolleyes: it has always seemed that BASIC functions of the game... ones written back in NC's conception, should have had BASIC tools that handled these sort of changes.

If I had to make changes to nc.syn at the lower-levels, nothing would get done... why doesn't KK have a front-end to manage mobs and loot to simlify their lives? Unless they do then *shudder* who wrote it :p

pabz
09-03-06, 23:53
Maybe they just need to re-do the whole game :eek:

l8m0n
10-03-06, 01:08
lol its the old neocron we all miss, new patch then next day a "hotfix" lol got to love it :lol:

Nidhogg
10-03-06, 09:04
You have to bear in mind that since beta there have been a number of serious issues that have just been papered over with literally years of elastoplasts. This has eventually lead us to the situation we are in today which is a game that is out of balance and virtually impossible to fix easily.

This is the reason for the balancing exercise.

Fixing some of those underlying bugs is having large and unpredictable consequences because of all the "elastoplasts" and it's going to cause some problems every now and then. This won't be so noticeable once the test server is launched but in the meantime just remember that the end result will be something that you will most definitely like!

N

Koshinn
10-03-06, 10:04
You have to bear in mind that since beta there have been a number of serious issues that have just been papered over with literally years of elastoplasts. This has eventually lead us to the situation we are in today which is a game that is out of balance and virtually impossible to fix easily.

Fixing some of those underlying bugs is having large and unpredictable consequences because of all the "elastoplasts" and it's going to cause some problems every now and then. This won't be so noticeable once the test server is launched but in the meantime just remember that the end result will be something that you will most definitely like!

N

Maybe it's time for a true "NC2". Use the lessons you've learned from NC1/2/2.1 and recode the game from the ground up. It might be the only way to fix some of the bugs at the very core of the game, as you said.

pottburter
10-03-06, 10:20
There's no reason to suppose that there will be a rollback. It will be just another patch.

N

No reason for a rollback ?
I was ingame yesterday for only about 30 minutes or so but in that time talked to at least 3 runners which now have 100 factionsymp ON ALL NC FACTIONS and that's not where it's gonna stop.

Hell, if my stealth-mojo would have had worked i could have made master in all doy factions in less than 3 hours.

Strife
10-03-06, 11:55
Not really the thread for this, but oh well.

just merge all the servers and make mars into a test server so people can either play the new patches there or lose any right to bitch and moan because something wasn't tested.

Since i've been back i've tried to get atleast 20 old friends who played cron back. Their main problem is that the population on servers is just pathetic. You can find 2d games with a bigger pop. You get a good 400 players on one server the game will be a hell of a lot more interesting and may even get some old people back. I know one of the biggest problems with me coming back was the population, i don't really want to waste my time on a dead game, and that's just how this game feels. Last I played there were OP wars all the time and people everywhere.

KK has made some dumb moves in the past, please try and poke any holes in this. I'm not saying i know everything, but i'd honestly like to see a problem with a server with a proper population instead of 3 servers with a shit population. I doubt anyone really cares of we don't get any more "features" for a few months if we get everyone on the same server. Some people may not like the german chat on trade, so maybe throw some more channels in, and remove some of the useless ones noone even uses.

Foo
10-03-06, 12:29

N

Heard it all before tbh , Untill you prove it , ppl are gonna be quiting more then resubing.

more fire
10-03-06, 12:52
i seriously think that we need a test server once again also a merging of all the servers will be way cool it will make the game alot more balanced i.e. doy and pro might be balanced once again, better fights etc, some people play for role play and some like myself play for op fights but lately i dunno its become so unbalanced especially with the recent gm issue, and i aint gonna reactivate anymore once the rest of my accs are expired, and with this new patch and all the cock ups it just seems useless now to even carry on mightr as well just look for something better or start getting used to someting better

Nidhogg
10-03-06, 12:54
Test server's coming. The forums are created and ready to be "enabled".

N

more fire
10-03-06, 12:57
nice would we have to pay for this servie as well?

Brooklyn
10-03-06, 20:03
Maybe they just need to re-do the whole game :eek:

[ edited ]

RogerRamjet
10-03-06, 20:24
just merge all the servers

Why? How would that achieve higher population? Surely you have noticed the slight difference in population since the merging of Uranus/Pluto/Saturn into 1 server, but by your logic we should have like 1000 players online right?

Merging servers wont solve anything, especially population. Improving the game and progressing it will however.

Strife
10-03-06, 21:12
Wow, where to start with your reply.

Why? How would that achieve higher population?Well you see, if you have 3 servers with 10% load each, and put them all together, a you will create a server with a greater population.

Surely you have noticed the slight difference in population since the merging of Uranus/Pluto/Saturn into 1 serverSo what? There's still like 4 servers. Nothing really changed

but by your logic we should have like 1000 players online right? Not sure how you even came up with this number, but good job.

Merging servers wont solve anything, especially population. Improving the game and progressing it will however.Yeah, I guess people wanting a higher population on a server, then KK merging them all would accomplish nothing huh. Sorry, how big has this game grown with improving the game and progressing? How big of a hit was DoY?

Please think before you post, thanks.

RogerRamjet
11-03-06, 13:40
Its not a case of simple numbers adding up, as your idea for a server merge seems to be. A server merge probably wouldnt affect say Terranians, but people
from Mars/Mercury certainly wouldnt want to be lumped with them. Theres two completely different communities and sense of playing style. Basically they dont act like cunts all the time.

So what? There's still like 4 servers. Nothing really changed

What? Literally, just what? Of course something changed. There is only 1 international/english server now, as opposed to 3 in NC1. End of NC1, Uranus had 200 people, saturn was pushing 600 reguraly, pluto around 50. So thats 850 people average. Then count the people who came back to try NC2. Where are these people now you ask? Did they quit coz of awful population? No. They quit coz the game hadnt gotten any better in their eyes. Fatals, synch bugs, random item loss, pvp balance are the main reasons for people quitting. The start of NC2 was KKs best bet to merge servers, its too far down the line, and on many occaisons theyve stated that server merges arent even an option to be considered.

Anyway, i dont know why im arguing. Obviously you and your 20 friends who havent played this game in a lgod knows how long must know alot more than me, KK and the rest of the community when it comes to what right for this game.

Balance and improvement? Nah, just merge the servers.

Strife
12-03-06, 11:34
Balance and improvement? Nah, just merge the servers.Did i say just forget balance and improvement? No. I never said this would fix everything, so don't be a fool. 300 people on a server would be a lot better than 100 over 3. Don't know about you, but in an mmo I actually like there to be a playerbase.

saturn was pushing 600 reguralyI'd actually like to see that, hard to believe for a server for neocron.

Anyways, no point in dragging this on.

IceStorm
12-03-06, 12:41
I'd actually like to see that, hard to believe for a server for neocron.Well, if you stayed with the game instead of quitting, you'd have seen it.

QUITTER!