PDA

View Full Version : NC Videosettings-drivers, etc...

Bugs Gunny
06-03-06, 13:20
Right, so after getting a virus on my computer the day before i left for vacation i reinstalled the whole thing, redownloaded nc and did a fresh install and patchjob of it.
Problem is that whne playing at normal 1024*768*32 i get massive lagspikes.
PVP is impossible.

I changed to 1024*768*16 which seemed to help, but after a while the same thing will happen.

Now the funniest thing is when i turn off vsync. Ill get near constant 333 fps, but when i zone i end up in an eternal synch with 500fps......

So, someone tell me how to fix this as it's getting quite annoying, especialy when people start using CS or DEV it looks like i'm taking snapshots instead of watching a fluent motion.

Oh yeah, the videocard is an msi-128 6800.
The drivers are the latest nvidia ones from guru3d.com
All settings set to max performance and card overclocked.

RaekOne
06-03-06, 13:24
you get 333 fps? Thats pretty sweet...and makes me question mine...I get about 75 fps...

Have you tried older drivers? I recently updated mine and it sent games I play up the wall....not really sure why, but deffinately worth a go??

I can think of a million suggestions, but I am not sure how relevant they are seeng as its a reinstall and not likely to be hardware.

However just incase perhaps check the temperatures running on the mobo, and do some stress testing on the card?

IceStorm
06-03-06, 13:49
When you say "lag spikes", do you mean stutters - you still hear what's going on, but the video seems to pause for a second, then continues as if nothing happened?

I get occasional stutters and just chalk it up to NC being a pain. True low-FPS situations (sub-30) in-game don't seem to occur unless I go into a particular nasty zone (lots of other people and high ceilings indoors). I too have vsync enabled as without it one encounters the rubber-banding effect way too often when zoning.

Bugs Gunny
06-03-06, 13:55
It freezes for a second, while sound continues.
Never had it before, maybe i'll try the older drivers.

netster
06-03-06, 13:59
lol ... i had that 500/333fps thingy in nc1, when i was standing in my appy.
hmmm might possible, that i have that maschine when nc1 was still runnin =>
3200+ 1meg cache (the 754pin),gfx was 9800pro,asus agp board,1gb ddr333 ram something. i actually swapped my gfx 6 months ago to a 6800GT, but didnt changed much in my fps thought.

TBH ... NLite(remove IE) + NC = omg_nooooo :p

netster
06-03-06, 14:04
ah and TBH .... pls post something to run nc smoother on older hardware :/
i cannot play nc on my notebook very well ... crp caves is liek 20fps most time, what is pretty grrrrrr meh. my notebook is a MD40100 / p4m 2.8, 1/2gig ram, GF 5300go in... pvp with 1-3fps is not very >_<

netster
06-03-06, 14:05
It freezes for a second, while sound continues.
Never had it before, maybe i'll try the older drivers.
that sounds to me alike a bit overheating/overclocking oO
check your babys fan!

elGringo
06-03-06, 14:48
standard procedure - rule out the usual troublemakers:

1. Overheating
Make sure all fans are working ...but this is not enough. You should also monitor the temperature of GPU, CPU and Northbridge - after - a short gaming session.

2. Drivers

- mainboard / sys
- gfx
- sound
- mouse

Check if you really installed the most up to date chipset drivers (especially AGP drivers) for your mainboard. See if you missed any important bios updates. Experiment with the GFX-Card drivers a little ... the latest build is not always the one that suits your gfx-card best.
Check your soundcard settings / drivers as well while you're at it... also make sure you have a proper driver installed for your mouse & monitor (not joking).

3. Antivir

sometimes anti-virus scanners can produce lagspikes and system stutter... set nc2 to whitelisted or disable your antivir for a try...
While you're at it.. disable anything thats not needed to run NC and see if it helps.. if it does try to track down the nasty process that causes the problem.

On a sidenote:

75fps > 333 fps
Disabling vSync is ALWAYS a very bad idea concerning Neocron and leads to numerous issues.

Bishop Yutani
06-03-06, 19:10
i have a similar problem with a nvidia 7800 GS. I used to get 50fps, and now its like 300 to 500.

Weird stuff going on.

Do you have Antialiasing on? Come to think of it, i just turned that on a few days ago -- around the time this started happening...

RusSki
06-03-06, 19:31
I was having probs with lag spikes because of my anti virus.
Bugs something for you to check is each time someone says something that appears in the chat window does it cause the game to lag. If so then its ur anti virus.

Terayon
06-03-06, 20:04
And this is the only game it does this in?

Bugs Gunny
06-03-06, 20:30
Ok, i installed new drivers, used an aircompressor on the computercase internals and fidled around with some settings.

All nc settings at max, 1024*768*32 inside mb 160's outside mb near asg 70's.

Can you say FIXED? :angel:

cRazy-
06-03-06, 20:36
you get 333 fps? Thats pretty sweet...and makes me question mine...I get about 75 fps...

You cant get a higher frames per second then the refresh rate of your monitor.

75fps will be what your monitors refresh rate is set at by the looks of it.

CMaster
06-03-06, 22:28
Yeah, I'd say turn Vsynch on dude, although you seem to have cleared up the problem through sonme underteminred other means.

FarSight
06-03-06, 23:20
You cant get a higher frames per second then the refresh rate of your monitor.

75fps will be what your monitors refresh rate is set at by the looks of it.

You can but you will not see a diff (and there can be a diff like @ Q3 engine)

Breakaway
07-03-06, 04:51
how do you turn vsync on and off?

Bugs Gunny
07-03-06, 10:19
I'm recording with fraps at 27fps with vsync off.
However the 500fps no zoning bug does come back now and then. A restart of the game fixes it.
Around the time i get that a dev will still drope me to 1fps and a freezing screen.

Maybe i need more ram or i should actualy use a swapfile instead of having that off.

elGringo
07-03-06, 10:45
You can but you will not see a diff (and there can be a diff like @ Q3 engine)

thats bs.. you'll see a huge difference.
Namely, massive problems with syncs, vehicle usage, GR'ing etc..
Playing NC with vSync off is plain stupid. :p

@Breakaway: right click on your desktop -> properties -> properties (where you can set your resolution) -> advanced -> click on the tab that names your gfx card.
Thats where you can modify the setting.

@Bugs: How much RAM do you have ? Should be at least 1024mb, better 1536mb. If you have less, I'd try dx7 for a change.
Apart from that ... whats your other sys specs? cpu, gfx-card etc..

netster
07-03-06, 10:54
a dev drops my fps to 16 or something arround ... badly :/

swapfile instead of having that off.
u should allways turn that "feature" on.

Bugs Gunny
07-03-06, 12:48
I run:

Amd 2500 mobile oc'ed from 1833mhz to 2500mhz with L12 mod.
Abit nf7-s with some kind of changed bios.
1024mb of ram
6800 128mb gfx
sb 128 pci
two psus
6 harddrives, of which one is a large sata for data and recording fraps.
tapestreamer
cd and dvd writers

I think i'm gonna get more ram and turn on the swapfile on a non program files edi channel disk.
I quite like the no vsync settings, but once it starts borking up it's rather anoying.