PDA

View Full Version : OT - Spore

Rob01m
05-03-06, 06:24
Has anyone seen this game yet? It's being developed by Will Wright/Maxis. (creator of Sim series games)

Here's a google video link, it's pretty interesting but be warned it's 36 minutes long. Spore video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8372603330420559198&q=spore)

If you like these types of games then this may be the next big thing. If he can pull it off it may be one of the most open ended games made, what are your thoughts? :D

Paper Dragon
05-03-06, 06:27
I. Want. This. Game.

My girlfriend showed me the video the other day; had me absolutely enthralled. The ultimate sandbox. :D

I have a sneaky feeling I'll enjoy the pre-sentience stage more than the city building stuff, though.

suler
05-03-06, 08:24
So wait do those lizard scorpion things build houses with their tails?

Koshinn
05-03-06, 08:59
Pfft, that game is full of carebears.

jini
05-03-06, 09:05
Nice and creative. I dont really fancy the "massive online single player" idea, I wished you could participate the thing in a universe controlled by other players in real time, and some times maxis create very repetitive games. If they discovr new grouns here, remains to be seen...

Spermy
05-03-06, 12:06
Pfft, that game is full of carebears.

If you can't play nice, don't play. No ones forcing you. ;) Nothing wrong with sandbox style IMO.

Rob01m
05-03-06, 17:47
If you can't play nice, don't play. No ones forcing you. ;) Nothing wrong with sandbox style IMO.

I think he was joking about the fact that there was a carebear made in the game. :lol:

CMaster
05-03-06, 17:51
Read about it a while back, was talked into watching the video yesterday. Looks promising, I just hope Will Wright doesn't have to listen to anything that the EA executives say.

Koshinn
05-03-06, 21:10
I think he was joking about the fact that there was a carebear made in the game. :lol:

Yeah... there's literally carebears in the game... :p

Spermy
05-03-06, 21:41
I'm an idiot. Flame away :p

Judge
05-03-06, 22:40
Saw the GDC video a while ago and failed to pick my jaw up off of the ground for a good day afterwards.

I want this game so bad it hurts.

pabz
05-03-06, 22:44
The beginning of the game looks amazing to me, but afterwards it seems to go down hill a lil, especially with the space ship stuff and sim city style gameplay.

Rob01m
05-03-06, 23:00
The beginning of the game looks amazing to me, but afterwards it seems to go down hill a lil, especially with the space ship stuff and sim city style gameplay.

I had a similar feeling. :D

Obviously the game is unfinished, I saw the entire hour long presentation and it seemed like the game was still in its earlyish period - hopefully the various "stages" of the game are fleshed out a little better, especially towards the end. Also, he skipped through a lot just to show us the said stages.

I'm fairly creative but not very artistic, if that makes sense... I guess thats a reason this appeals to me. I hope he can pull it off, because its a pretty cool idea and maybe it will leave its mark on the gaming industry as a whole.

mdares
05-03-06, 23:25
omg another god game-ish game!

i luv god games...

pabz
05-03-06, 23:33
maybe it will leave its mark on the gaming industry as a whole. i'd love to see some of that programming style (can't remember what it's called) applied to a FPS, or just to add to the 'customisabilty' of various games.

Spermy
06-03-06, 00:28
Still picking my jaw up....

Tratos
06-03-06, 01:54
That is amazing.

*wants*

Hell-demon
06-03-06, 17:35
Bah, it just gets needlessly over the top when we see the entire galaxy :rolleyes:

sanityislost
06-03-06, 19:08
Bah, it just gets needlessly over the top when we see the entire galaxy :rolleyes:

not really when you think of the amount of player data thats going to be used.

Cant wait for this game, looks so damn nice

SiL ..:..

Hell-demon
06-03-06, 20:45
It's one of those games wheer after a week you'll think, OMG I wasted a week of my life.

The fact that deosnt happen in NC is becuase of the community and competitive nature

Tratos
06-03-06, 20:51
It's one of those games wheer after a week you'll think, OMG I wasted a week of my life.
It'll take me more than that first time round :D the sheer diversity of creation is too expansive to get bored that early.

Hell-demon
06-03-06, 20:53
But in the end they'll be limitations, you'll get bored.

It's like the sims, or morrowind or any other open ended game. You played god and people like Will Wright and peter molyneux get a new yacht :mad:

xyl_az
06-03-06, 21:11
(...)

It's like the sims, or morrowind or any other open ended game. You played god and people like Will Wright and peter molyneux get a new yacht :mad:

kill them

Hell-demon
06-03-06, 21:15
I'm just saying that it's gonna be like any other game by will wright, interesting features, big doll house,BUT with limitations. And there is bound to be expansion packs to milk your wallet dry :rolleyes:

Rob01m
06-03-06, 21:28
I'm just saying that it's gonna be like any other game by will wright, interesting features, big doll house,BUT with limitations. And there is bound to be expansion packs to milk your wallet dry :rolleyes:

Probably, but he does have an interesting perspective. That 36 minute video clip was actually part of an hour long presentation.

He spoke a lot about procedural generation and even touched on the direction of gaming today. He noted that in the beginning, games were mostly code with little data, and how over time the balance has shifted greatly especially with the release of CD-ROMs. Now games are probably 3% code (game itself) and 97% data, as in voice, music, textures, videos, etc. He speculated that game development costs would keep rising and games would be released further apart, as has been the case simply because of the work involved. Procedual Generation is a great idea, it allows developers to focus on other aspects like gameplay perhaps, and less on content like placing specific trees in forests.

But also, he seems driven to make sure players write their own story. He said in an interview "I didn't want to make players feel like Luke Skywalker or Frodo Baggins. I wanted them to be like George Lucas or J.R.R. Tolkien." I think that's a step in the right direction for these types of games.

Hell-demon
06-03-06, 21:33
He is a big nerd

Rob01m
06-03-06, 21:34
Isn't that the only type of game developer? :lol:

Hell-demon
06-03-06, 21:35
no, Martin was a big pimp

nobby
06-03-06, 23:57
to be honest...

wouldn't the game get boring quick?

Paper Dragon
06-03-06, 23:58
to be honest...

wouldn't the game get boring quick?

People who don't play FPS games probably think shooting at the same people time and time again would "get boring quick".

Some of the most successful franchises on the planet have been in the genre(s) Spore draws from.

Richard Slade
07-03-06, 00:41
omg another god game-ish game!

i luv god games...
Umm.. to be honest mdares.. it's veee-heery anti-god..... very! :wtf:

Editf: And the fact that the game evolves in itself makes the replay value insane...
the creation library is updated via usage %, in which it will change and become better, hence if you play it once and then play it three months later, the other civilizations have evolved to better enemies..
now that's kewl

Foo
07-03-06, 01:26
Impresive.

suler
07-03-06, 03:11
People who don't play FPS games probably think shooting at the same people time and time again would "get boring quick".

Some of the most successful franchises on the planet have been in the genre(s) Spore draws from.

They still get old quick, I mean how many times can I have the wife fall in love with the maid and then lock the father inside a fence.

PS where the hell is sims law and order or csi?

ZoVoS
10-03-06, 02:17
how long will it be before ur spaceship finds a plannet with walking talking penis's or boobs... comon we are gona be playing with a bunch of adolesont 12 yearolds...

FWAR im sooo making a walking talking penis :P

Apocalypsox
10-03-06, 02:53
Looks interesting- i might try it out. :cool:

ZoVoS
10-03-06, 03:40
Looks interesting- i might try it out. :cool:

not for like 6 months u wont

Apocalypsox
10-03-06, 03:43
Yeah i figured that. :rolleyes:

mdares
10-03-06, 04:28
Umm.. to be honest mdares.. it's veee-heery anti-god..... very! :wtf:

Editf: And the fact that the game evolves in itself makes the replay value insane...
the creation library is updated via usage %, in which it will change and become better, hence if you play it once and then play it three months later, the other civilizations have evolved to better enemies..
now that's kewl

well thats y i said "god game-ish"

cuz instead of playing the role of traditional biblical "god" u play the role of "dictator of evolution" as in u have a say to how the evolutionary path goes.

hence god-game-ish

^_^

Morganth
10-03-06, 05:40
Read about it a while back, and didn't hear anything since. Incredible game, can't wait for it to come out.

Blatantly going to have to start a thread for people to post their first creations on :D