PDA

View Full Version : Computer troubles

Safunte
28-02-06, 22:54
Alright, I've (for a long time) experienced issues with my computer and its compatability with neocron.

I have:
Pentium 4: 3GHz
756mb ram
ATI radeon 9800XT
Creative SB Audigy 2

The problem I experience is that certain events in neocron trigger my computer to restart, such as use of a holy lighting or some other spells that are similar... or xbow and other said weapons. Some mobs as well such as those in the swamp caves.
People I have talked to seem to believe its either a problem in power supply or my audio card... I would doubt its the power supply due to the fact it only happens in isolated situations, but alas I have no clue.

Looking for any and all input, I'll catch up on reading it after I go get my belt (computer restarted and most likely died... nothing new)

Dirus
28-02-06, 23:09
I have an Audigy 2 as well, tho since I ran into numerous problems with the official drivers, and not just in Neocron I now use KX project Drivers which are free third party drivers.

You could try using these drivers (http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/index.php?skip=1) to see if it helps at all. If anything it should help isolate if it's a Soundcard Issue.

npinchot
28-02-06, 23:51
Could be related to video. Your drivers may be corrupt or your video card may be going bad. Check out ati.com and get the newest drivers. Also could be overheating, maybe try taking the side off your case and see if it still happens. Maybe you need a case with more fans.

Bredahl
01-03-06, 00:07
You could try using these drivers (http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/index.php?skip=1) to see if it helps at all. If anything it should help isolate if it's a Soundcard Issue.
If this works on my sound problems (swampcaves holy L. CS and stuff like that)... man im gonna be happy.. :)
i get this anoying sound everytime i fight a monk or a tank or is lving in a swamp cave.. have to turn of my sound when it happens and then wait like 10 or 20 min (or restart NC) before i can turn on the sound again..

btw sorry for my bad english..

Safunte
01-03-06, 00:10
I have an Audigy 2 as well, tho since I ran into numerous problems with the official drivers, and not just in Neocron I now use KX project Drivers which are free third party drivers.

Thanks alot I'll try it out in a few minutes.

Could be related to video. Your drivers may be corrupt or your video card may be going bad. Check out ati.com and get the newest drivers. Also could be overheating, maybe try taking the side off your case and see if it still happens. Maybe you need a case with more fans.

More fans? I dont have a computer... I have a windtunnel, ask anyone i've ever been on vent/teamspeak/skype with... its rediculous =) but i'll go try new drivers, couldn't hurt

a4nic8er
01-03-06, 00:47
Alright, I've (for a long time) experienced issues with my computer and its compatability with neocron.

I have:
Pentium 4: 3GHz
756mb ram
ATI radeon 9800XT
Creative SB Audigy 2

The problem I experience is that certain events in neocron trigger my computer to restart, such as use of a holy lighting or some other spells that are similar... or xbow and other said weapons. Some mobs as well such as those in the swamp caves.
People I have talked to seem to believe its either a problem in power supply or my audio card... I would doubt its the power supply due to the fact it only happens in isolated situations, but alas I have no clue.

Looking for any and all input, I'll catch up on reading it after I go get my belt (computer restarted and most likely died... nothing new)

I have found for years that the problems with several games crashing seem to often relate to or be caused by sounds and the way DirectX handles them.

I have a similar setup;

Pentium 4: 3GHz (multithreading on)
1GB RAM
ATI radeon 9600XT
SoundMAX integrated (on-board)

Here are some of the steps I have taken.

> Clean install of XP and NC2
> Update BIOS and ALL drivers.
> Run desktop and games at 16-bit.
> Created a 3GB (the formula is for a maximum page file of 3x your physical RAM) swap file on it's own partition (the first one) of a seperate drive, and set C: swap file at 2-50MB
> Turned OFF hardware sound acceleration (in DXDIAG), so sound is software only.
> Run NC in DX7 driver mode.

I don't seem to fatal as often as I used to. When I am having issues, many other people are also having them (which leads me to believe that those problems are not related to my computer).

nasty nate
01-03-06, 00:53
ahh it may be a null point but make sure your comp is really clean and free of dust,all heatsinks and fans,...please dont yell at me just trying to help

james_finn
01-03-06, 02:09
I used to have the same problems, PPUing in the CC caves with an APU team used to be hell lol. I hadnt thought that it could be the drivers till Dirus mentioned it, but it did clear up when I bought a XFi card.

Dirus
01-03-06, 03:29
More fans? I dont have a computer... I have a windtunnel, ask anyone i've ever been on vent/teamspeak/skype with... its rediculous =) but i'll go try new drivers, couldn't hurt

lol.. I used to have an 80mm in the side of my case, damn thing sounded like a turbine engine sucking air.

*Hugs his now near silent watercooled PC*