PDA

View Full Version : why i like NC... even tho there's a crap ton of other mmos...

mdares
25-02-06, 06:04
theres a crap ton of mmos out right now and in teh making.

to name a few that i have played or will or am betaing other than NC: FFXI, SWG, WoW, CoV, RF Online, EQ1/2, Lineage 2, AutoAssault, Twlight wars (didnt get in beta yet >_<), Huxley (same as TW).

but im still back in NC. granted i dunt play as much as i used to but i still keep my accts (yes plural!) active and play on a fairly regular basis.

they reasons i stay are the following:

1.) pvp: while there's other games with better balance, and other games in the making to be like NC's fps mode pvp, AS OF NOW, ONLY NEOCRON has fps-ish pvp. not to mention that pvp can still be done in large grps or solo, depending on tactics, setup, etc.

2.) teh grind: its not as bad of a grind tbh... if u know wut ur doing, have some cash, and know a res/cst, u can cap any char (main stat atleast) easily within a week playing 2-4 hours per day. worst grind i've ever had was in FFXI... its repetitive and LONG.

3.) NO FORCED GROUPING: i hate having to be forced to group for content. While a lot of the doy stuff need groups for (and shuld for the level of difficulty and items possibly gained), i can solo any of the other stuff on any of my chars (and i have one of all). Moreover, another good thing about the no-forced-grouping is that u DONT need to group to lvl or cap. This single feature in and of itself sets it appart from other MMOs. While in SOME of the other ones i've played u CAN still cap solo, the lvling rate of group vs. solo is SOOOO heavily slanted that no one has the time to lvl solo. This isnt true in NC; lvling in groups is just faster in that there's less down time; but if u play it well, u can still cap within roughly teh same time solo as if u lvled groups. my favorite example for this is FFXI or WoW. While u dont HAVE TO group to lvl, in FFXI any decent xp are from mobs that can only be killed in full groups of 7 (i tried soloing as a lvl 36 redmage and its just not possible...); in WoW, u can still lvl solo but believe me, unless u know a lot of the spots, u are really REALLY short on solo lvling options and just do plain better in running grouped instances...

4.) endgame item balance: i HATE how in all other mmos, rare items are SOOOOOOOO HUGELY better than the items that are only 1 tier lower. But not in NC. Example: CS vs. TPC; while the CS is ubr sexy and all that; in the hands of a well played pvper, the TPC is equally deadly. But in other mmos i've played, the difference between between a epic and a rare (pretty much 1 tier difference) is comparable to the difference between a Silent Hunter and the tl10 Jones sniper rifle... yes its that bad. And as a direct result of this, the pvp is fucked cuz u HAVE to have that epic that takes 30+ hours to get and u'd have to bid or roll for it against 40 other people and only drops like 1:20. (if u havent noticed i'm referring directly to WoW which im still sorta playing...)

---

in summa i'd just like to say that while i still hate kk for the blaance issues and stuff (small world, low pop, etc.), i will still be here mainly cuz the style of gameplay allowed in NC suits me a lot better than most other MMOs.

Richard Slade
25-02-06, 22:00
And to fill in what you forgot: No fucking elves.

Opar
25-02-06, 23:59
Hear, hear.

I don't play any MMO's atm other than Guild Wars. And anything i've played since Neocron can compare to it, including Guild Wars. CoH, RYL, FFXI, GW, LoM, just cannot compare to Neocron. Your first OP war, first rare, first tech, first Warbot kill, first time you step out into the streets of Neocron and see all the neon everywhere. It's just magical...

mdares
26-02-06, 06:20
not to mention first time going into wastes... looking up in teh sky at a pretty fuming thing... and seeing its a laurent, going on buddy and spaming "OMG I FOUND ONE!" then have it kill u 2 seconds later -_-

and yes death to elves, dwarves, and all that anime-ish shit...

(nothing against anime but really... an MMO where everyone looks like some 12 year old kid with no distinguishable sexual characteristics just isnt my cup of tea)

eprodigy
26-02-06, 06:34
those things are why i like it. but i need some things to make me PLAY it...

nobby
26-02-06, 08:08
I wish they'd try to turn Neptune into something like Planetside :p

I enjoyed planetside for ... 2 days

But that's what proper PVP servers should be like!

giga191
26-02-06, 13:31
and yes death to elves, dwarves, and all that anime-ish shit...
i'd play NC if it were with elves and dwarves, as long as there weren't bugs.

suler
26-02-06, 14:33
I didn't know elves and dwarves were anime shit.

Richard Slade
27-02-06, 16:44
I didn't know elves and dwarves were anime shit.
Might want to try to read that correctly..

suler
27-02-06, 22:44
Unless he edits out the word "that" I didn't read it incorrectly. It can be used both ways.

mdares
27-02-06, 22:48
u read it correctly in terms of ur understanding (one way) but incorrect because i meant for it to be taken the otehr way (second way) ^_^

but uh STOP HIJACKING MAH THREAT ADN TURNING IT INTO AN ENGRISH LESSON >_<

suler
27-02-06, 23:18
Ok back on topic I agree with everything except no forced grouping part. You need a ppu for alot of the endgame mobs, so that's still forcing you to group. Same thing for pvp.