PDA

View Full Version : [ot] 40k

Dribble Joy
24-02-06, 19:17
Anyone here collect 40k?

If so what army?

I'm an ork player and I am now putting together a BadMoon army of flashgits and ardboys, using the old out of production mega armour nobs for the ard boys.
Also converting 5 Black orcs into the nobs for my Warboss's retinue.

suler
24-02-06, 19:24
I've got a space marine army, made up chapter. My color scheme is black and blue, and I've converted alot of the sergeants and leaders to look unique.

I'm thinking of starting a new one, but can't decide what army to go with next.

Koshinn
24-02-06, 20:04
Necrons, but I stopped when their codex came out. The 3rd edition Necron codex nerfed the hell out of them, so... ya. I liked 2 teleporting lords and scarabs that explode.

Dribble Joy
24-02-06, 20:12
3rd? It's 4.1 atm.

suler
24-02-06, 20:42
This is kind of offtopic, but has anybody tried the skirmish game confrontation? I think they're made by rackham(some french company). Anyways the miniatures look sweet but I dunno if the rules are decent.

http://www.rackham-store.com/ if you want to see what they look like.

Plight
24-02-06, 20:55
I hardly understand any of this, lol

giga191
24-02-06, 21:02
i bought some once but i sucked so bad at painting that i gave up

Koshinn
24-02-06, 21:21
3rd? It's 4.1 atm.
Wait maybe I got my numbers wrong. 3rd edition came out with dark eldar right?

I thought we were at like 3.1 with the new codexes and such

cl0wn
25-02-06, 00:01
Blood Angels tbh :)

Dribble Joy
25-02-06, 00:25
4.1, and necrons are horrible, nasty nasty things. Like space marines but tend to get right back up again.

slith
25-02-06, 00:31
2500p Emperors Children.
12 Daemonettes :)

( Says everything about my psychic condition... )

..and some Tyranids..

Tauan
25-02-06, 02:43
IG ftw...my LR tank is the sex

Apshai
25-02-06, 03:28
Tau Empire

RogerRamjet
25-02-06, 03:44
Dark Angels > you.

Koshinn
25-02-06, 06:46
4.1, and necrons are horrible, nasty nasty things. Like space marines but tend to get right back up again.

Oh ok. I know the current eldar codex is the same as the one when I quit playing, which was 3.0? Necrons were a LOT better using chapter approved rules for 3.0 in the magazine... you have no idea. I've gotten a whole bunch of total victories in 40k tournaments with them... total victory being in a 1,500 pt battle, winning by more than 1000 pts. Now... they just suck. A lot.

Oh and I have like a 20 model 1,000 pt Blood Angel army. lol.

MkVenner
25-02-06, 07:56
Used to collect Black Templars and Catachans quite a while back now, Used to have an Imperial Epic army, Gothic fleet and a Van Saar Necromunda gang. Not got the time or the money anymore, but I still love the whole world/back story and I still read the Gaunt's Ghosts books (no suprises there I guess :p)

DER_julu
25-02-06, 09:06
played warhammer fantasy battles and 40k some years ago, but stopped because of the course the whole game tool rulewise (you are doing WHAT ? throwing nades at the enemy when he is charging you ?!? - stuff like that...);

and a Van Saar Necromunda gang

switched to blood bowl, mordheim and necromunda. playing delaque (their hairstyle fits mine ;) ) and orlock...

alya venus
25-02-06, 11:34
I've got a Blood Angels and a Witch Hunters.

msdong
25-02-06, 13:29
i have a lot of imperials and a few space marines. we give it up after the 2nd edition of W40K ruined it all and it was impossible to ply my imperial dwarven hoverbot team with granades and all my nice motorized troops suck :)

tbh Dawn of War is a great replacement for that tabletop. painting - hmmm - it wasnt bad but i dont care for that. playing with them ruin the paint real fast

Dribble Joy
25-02-06, 14:09
Squats were a mistake, they weren't suppose to be in at all in 2nd. GW have stated that it was 50/50 they would be in 1st and a complete mistake that they were left in 2nd. No amount of pleading will ever get them back.

My army has about....200+ models.

eLcHi
25-02-06, 14:26
I played Ultramarines ... but that was like AGES ago (10+ years)

Koshinn
25-02-06, 14:39
tbh Dawn of War is a great replacement for that tabletop. painting - hmmm - it wasnt bad but i dont care for that. playing with them ruin the paint real fast

That's part of the appeal of 40k... it can be played with, it can be collected, it can be painted or any combination! I've seen them used as works of art, painted and highly customized. I've also seen people spray paint them a base coat of white, then paint 2 different colored stripes on them so they have 3 colors and can be used in a tournament :lol:

The clear varnish really helps your painted models through the vigors of every day use. Think of it like wax for your car, except you don't have to reapply it every week. :)

Dribble Joy
25-02-06, 14:50
Depends how you handle them and the way you have painted them. My standard units are painted simply and I don't mind then being banged about a bit, there's 90 sluggas boys in my 2000 point army, and they are plastic, painted simply and they don't tend to chip.

The bigger, metal or more expensive/valuable models I ususally spend more time on. They usually have a two layer base coat, and sucsessive layers of painting, which builds up a thicker layer on the more vulnerable places, and they are transported in smaller boxes with bubble wrap and tissues.

Here's a pic of my converted black orcs who are going to be the nobs for my warboss's retinue.

Still in the end stages of painting, need some yellow wash for the armour and need to finish off the details like the targeters and other bits.

suler
25-02-06, 15:12
Primer helps also.

Dribble Joy
25-02-06, 15:15
Sorry, by base coat I meant under coat. Using one layer of under coat is ok, but they will chip so much easier.

suler
25-02-06, 15:21
Those aren't bad, I painted my brothers orc army I'm pretty proud of but I don't have a digital camera. How do you do skin on your orcs? I usually use like 3 shades of green. (well one of them is closer to brown)

Dribble Joy
25-02-06, 15:32
These are nobs, so they are a bit darker.

Under coat of chaos black, fill in the flesh with dark angels green, heavy dry brush snot green, then paint the higher areas snot green, then a dark green wash. finally I drag the tip of my finger across the raised areas lightly, to take of some of the ink.

The armour was painted white so the yellow didn't look horrile, the body armour was heavy dry brushed tin bitz, with a light dry brush of boltgun metal to high light it. The helmet chins were painted bolgun metal, though they need to have black wash put on them, the rest of the helmets were just dry brushed. The guns are painted tin bitz, the red is over white again to make it look lighter, with a brown wash to shade.

Camera isn't that great and they look worse than they are. They aren't finished either, I got to put on the black wash for the helmets and the yellow too. thinking about highlighting the guns with boltgun metal, but then they would look too similar to the body armour.

suler
25-02-06, 16:02
That's similar to what I do. I don't use GW paint anymore though except the washes. I use vallejo now, the paint is nice and the ink dropper bottles are awesome.

Dribble Joy
25-02-06, 16:11
The new ink bottles have droppers in them, but the wash ones don't.
I generally use the wash in the bottome of the lid anyway, I never use much at a time.

Koshinn
25-02-06, 20:24
Depends how you handle them and the way you have painted them. My standard units are painted simply and I don't mind then being banged about a bit, there's 90 sluggas boys in my 2000 point army, and they are plastic, painted simply and they don't tend to chip.

The bigger, metal or more expensive/valuable models I ususally spend more time on. They usually have a two layer base coat, and sucsessive layers of painting, which builds up a thicker layer on the more vulnerable places, and they are transported in smaller boxes with bubble wrap and tissues.

Here's a pic of my converted black orcs who are going to be the nobs for my warboss's retinue.

Still in the end stages of painting, need some yellow wash for the armour and need to finish off the details like the targeters and other bits.

Wow... I haven't seen those paint bottles in like... I can't believe it... 7 years? They've had different paint bottles for a loooong time now.

Dribble Joy
25-02-06, 21:29
I even have some of the round ones, the ones before the haxagonals.
The ones after the hex's have screw caps, which jam really easily. Now they have new flip lids, which are even better than the old ones.
You can even buy empty opts to mix up your own colours to keep nwo.

Richard Slade
25-02-06, 21:55
Scavens ftw I say
(Yes I got one ^^)

Scaramanga
05-03-06, 23:28
I remember buying a space marine single blister back in 1987, wonder how much that would have been worth if i still had it.