PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Persuation...

nobby
24-02-06, 02:33
Hello, I need some help with Persuation...

I have been working my nuts off...I currently have enough money to go abroad to a Country I've always dreamed of going to...Japan!

I have a friend who said I could stay at his place in Tokyo if I were to go...So that would be my acommodation sorted. But I have one problem...

My dad!

Now i do understand about parents wanting their children to be safe at all times but it's made me sad...

My dad doesn't want me going to Japan by myself and I know he won't go or my mum, to Japan because of the language barrier...

My mum is actually seeming to be ok with it.

I was just wondering if someone could give me tips to persuade my Father to let me go...

I've been learning japanese for over a year now...I can speak enough to get me around and I can also read and write it...apart from Kanji (but that doesn't matter)

Working my nuts off and having all my money sitting here which I've been saving towards my own little trip there seems...a waste!

I know I make random threads/comments, but as you're my only community of people I talk to...

Could someone be able to advise me?

cRazy-
24-02-06, 02:43
Good ive got a qualification in psychology.

Tell him its all life experience, explain how Japan is really friendly (which it is), you have friends and it would be in your best interests for this kind of adventure, offer him phone numbers and contact details of the people youd stay with in Japan.

Stay calm, let him put his opinions across and give your responce with a sensible answer, dont snap, dont interrupt, keep constant eye contact, try and convince him its in the best interests of your life experience, and that Japan has always been a place youve wanted to go to, also mention the money you have saved.

nobby
24-02-06, 02:48
Thank you
You're a great help, will do !

:)

sanityislost
24-02-06, 03:02
Tell you dad to choke on a dick, whats the worst he can do?

prolly kick you out, but your going to japan anyway!

Fuck him tbh

SiL ..:..

RogerRamjet
24-02-06, 03:41
You gotta remember aswell, he's your dad.

My dad shits himself when i go out to Town (it is Middlesbrough i suppose), so going to the other side of the planet will probably wory some parents.

I still need to tell him im going to Germany in the summer too :D

Paper Dragon
24-02-06, 03:59
Have you ever been away from home for an extended period of time before? If so, it might very well be worth bringing that up with your Father; previous experience and all that.

Personally, I can't spend more than three days away from home without whining for my girlfriend, so this approach never worked for me when I was under my parent's roof. :p

Koshinn
24-02-06, 04:07
I've been learning japanese for over a year now...I can speak enough to get me around and I can also read and write it...apart from Kanji (but that doesn't matter)

Honestly, you'll need more than a year of Japanese to get around in Japan. And in Japan, Kanji is everywhere. You need to know a couple hundred characters to understand the very basic stuff... like a subway stop for example. Or which bathroom to go in to.

Are you planning on studying abroad for school, or just travelling there for a vacation? I'd say go for it, there's nothing like living in a culture to help you learn the language. Just be prepared to be confused, lost and laughed at.

Richard Slade
24-02-06, 04:08
Just ask him if your motivation and hard work should not be rewarded.

RogerRamjet
24-02-06, 04:10
If he refuses go on a bender with all that cash.

Koshinn
24-02-06, 04:15
Yeah, that too.
But I mean, if you're over 18, you're a legal adult (in the USA at least). You can pretty much say... "Dad, it's my life and it's my money. I'm responsible enough to pay my way there and back. You may not like it, but it's my descision." If you act strong and confident, he may see it your way. Be polite and firm at the same time. Don't avert your eyes or whine or anything, pretend he's someone you're doing business with, not your father.

Then if he wants he can disown you and kick you out of his house, which would make your Mom mad and cause a rift in the family!

Or alternatively, you can ask your Mom to bring up your age and maturity to your Dad so he doesn't think you're disrespecting him. That may have the same positive effect. Or maybe you can work both ends. :lol:

Richard Slade
24-02-06, 04:17
Actually being an adult and being legally free to do wtf u want are two different things...

Parents are financially bound to their children until age 20 and kids can't do much, law wise, to stop that..

[ edited ]

Heavyporker
24-02-06, 05:47
[ edited ]

Richard Slade
24-02-06, 06:01
[ edited ]

[ edited ]

Koshinn
24-02-06, 07:34
[ edited ]

Sadly, stupidity isn't a unique quality of Americans. If it was, the world would be a much better place. :(

eprodigy
24-02-06, 08:14
not entirely unique, but we've got the market cornered these days

heavyporker is the king of overreaction...

nobby
24-02-06, 13:30
Actually...I'm 15...

and obsessed with Japanese...

I've even started answering my teachers with Hai !...

:p

unreal
24-02-06, 13:45
[ edited ]

SorkZmok
24-02-06, 14:16
Show daddy pictures like these (http://imageserver4.textamerica.com/user.images.x/52/IMG_461352/_0327/TZ200327095856746.jpg) and tell him how far from mommy he's gonna be. That should convince him to go with you.
:angel:

RogerRamjet
24-02-06, 14:41
Kid, you must get your way everytime.

Hell, ill go with Nobby now :D

unreal
24-02-06, 15:11
[ edited ]

RogerRamjet
24-02-06, 15:38
[ edited ][ edited ]

Heavyporker
24-02-06, 15:46
[ edited ]

unreal
24-02-06, 16:08
[ edited ][ edited ]

cRazy-
24-02-06, 16:16
[ edited ]

unreal
24-02-06, 16:18
[ edited ]

RogerRamjet
24-02-06, 16:20
[ edited ]

mehirc
24-02-06, 17:13
You could show him Kintaro Walks Japan (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3067683435545761102). ;)

Hell-demon
24-02-06, 17:59
I got a friend obsessed with Japan, writes japanese in class, speaks it etc.

My advice...don't go!

You people! Obsessed with it! gah!

The reason why there is no room in sushi bars!

But if ya wanna go fine....just suck up to your dad.

Word to the wise young man legal age for sex there is 13 (If I recall).

Skusty
24-02-06, 18:02
I don't like sushi! :p

Hell-demon
24-02-06, 18:08
it can be foul at times, in fact I don't think even the japanese like it :p

Lodar
24-02-06, 20:57
No more spam, thread hi-jacking, or political stuff please.

LiL T
24-02-06, 22:23
You could show him Kintaro Walks Japan (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3067683435545761102). ;)

I enjoyed that video, even though it looked a bit fake at times, cheers :)

@ nobby

Your only 15 man, theres plenty time in your life to goto japan, keep your money put it in a savings account with a monthly payment going in there once you get a job. If you really like japan that much, why not continue learning the langage and one day go live there !

nobby
25-02-06, 03:01
Because Sitting at home everyday of the week...Never going out anywhere Does get a wee tad...Boring!

I wanna get out away from Boring cold England...The only thing to do here is well...Visiting Castles..............

I wanna be around lights, gadgets and Friendly people, rather than the fucking Chavs I have to face at school everyday!

Clive tombstone
25-02-06, 03:37
Okay, take it from a guy who went (and did a little tutoring while I was there)
Its a neat place (once again, where yer going to) Tokyo is neat, almost alien, its almost like Newyork, cept filled with japanese and it doesnt reek of Pee and Homeless people (well there are SOME there).
Nagasaki is nice to visit as well (It was a place I toured for familiy reasons).

Now, One thing thats interesting some times (if not a bit annoying) in some places, some of the people there will actually try and speak to you in English. This is helpfull for people who have not the slightest how to speak japanese, but its a tad annoying for those of us trying to polish our japanese lol.

Next is the manerisms that they practice, I should inform you to study those for a bit so things dont get akward (and they WILL really quickly if your not carefull) a really sad story as at a bath house a mate of mine went INTO the bath first before washing off (in japanese public baths, you shower off all your dirt, grime, and skin before you actually go to the bath, which you just soak in).

Ill post more later, I got some models I need to make right now, and my neighbor is giving me the eye.

(edit)-Im from california, we dont have baths (or many "civilized" things about our society), So this is kinda from the american perspective. There ARE other things though, such as tipping you waiter (which is really up for grabs now, but last time I checked, you DONT tip them) and other mannerisms. And also gotta be back to work.
PEace out

RogerRamjet
25-02-06, 03:39
Err, in public baths in England you shower before you enter the pool too, so you dont get shite in the pool water.

Richard Slade
25-02-06, 22:02
No more spam, thread hi-jacking, or political stuff please.
Is it still political if it makes fun of your Own country?