PDA

View Full Version : RF Online... [OT]

Spermy
22-02-06, 16:42
For some reason I was addicted in beta... I've got the box coming on saturday, so it'll make a good sideline to have a crack at while I wait for Evo 2.2 or balancing...

Is anyone else gonna be trying it?

I'll be on the Spirit server, an Accretian warrior

Demental
22-02-06, 16:46
My box should be arriving today 'cause I live in the states. I'm gonna be playing it prolly 'till Twilight War gets it's shit sorted. That or Neocron finally gets it's shit sorted (Heaven help us it finally actually happens :p ) I only played beta for like 2-3 days but I got up to 25 as a warrior. I didn't wanna grind past that because I pretty much knew everything I needed about the game and didn't wanna burn myself out before I even technically own it.

Spermy
22-02-06, 16:55
My box should be arriving today 'cause I live in the states. I'm gonna be playing it prolly 'till Twilight War gets it's shit sorted. That or Neocron finally gets it's shit sorted (Heaven help us it finally actually happens :p ) I only played beta for like 2-3 days but I got up to 25 as a warrior. I didn't wanna grind past that because I pretty much knew everything I needed about the game and didn't wanna burn myself out before I even technically own it.

Found that it wasn't as hard a grind as people seemed to say. the kiddies hated the grind, but it's nowhere near as brutal as getting my tank capped :p

Apocalypsox
22-02-06, 17:12
i think ill get it...i got some cash saved up for shit like this. BELLATO!!!! WOOO!!!! I SHALL FINALLY HAVE MY COMBAT MECHS MJS!!! IN YOUR FACE!!!! lol.

Skusty
22-02-06, 17:34
My self is playing Anarchy Online in wait of 2.2! .p

I played it once before 2years ago for one day, said nc was better, now with maye helping me with stuff we made characters and are having greattimes! :lol:

Spermy
22-02-06, 18:45
i think ill get it...i got some cash saved up for shit like this. BELLATO!!!! WOOO!!!! I SHALL FINALLY HAVE MY COMBAT MECHS MJS!!! IN YOUR FACE!!!! lol.

It's a shame they're shite. No Exp Gain and they cost a bomb to use. Think very carefully before summoning - escpecially against an accretian warrior/ranger team.

Gohei
22-02-06, 19:24
I thought about buying it untill i saw an in-game movie of it...

Spermy
22-02-06, 20:11
I thought about buying it untill i saw an in-game movie of it...
Yeah - that put me off too. And seeing as there's no trial to speak of yet - nothing can justify shelling out 18 quid just to try it.

I'm bloody hooked on it though, caution to the wind and whatnot.

Scaramanga
22-02-06, 20:27
Played little of the beta (phase two). The grind is not very well hidden.
Will be playing it on my preordered copy to get to a high level and do some PvP. Whether or not that will be justified shall have to wait to be seen.

Love the graphics, atmosphere and weapons. Can't wait to see more of it when it goes live. Will definitely be back to NC for the arrival of 2.2 though.

xyl_az
22-02-06, 20:35
its some kind of manga techno-fantasy right? With all those japanese blade swirls, high jumps, mega-combos, mega-monsters, transformers etc?

or am i wrong?

My friend was just describing me something similiar, "another gay manga final fantasy clone" as he eloquently put it. But maybe its something else. Dunno, i wasnt really listening...

/edit/
anyways, if theres no trial, maybe someone could get some screenies?

Scaramanga
22-02-06, 20:41
Never having played final fantasy i couldnt comment on whether or not RFO is a clone of it.
It does have a modern Jap manga type feal to it. More cartoony than Neocron [by] a country mile. Combat is auto targetting managed and the spells/ablities are all continuous turnbased.
It may well sound shit from that description but it does have a certain charm.

xyl_az
22-02-06, 20:56
i'm just browsing their forum and what i see:
naked manga girls with huge tits & handsome 15 years old boys with BIG guns (weapons, swords, whatever, its all freudian anyways) then i see transformers and epic battles against air (forcefields) with loads of colours & flashes - definitely not my cup of tea.

but anyways, since their site is completely empty information-wise - what kind of pvp is there?

/edit/ ok now i know enough lol, it really is a japanese manga style mmorpg - its some fucking land of immortal heroes struggling in neverending epic battles for the sake of their own stupidity...

Spermy
22-02-06, 21:21
almost-naked manga girls & handsome 15 years old boys with BIG guns (weapons, swords, whatever, its all freudian anyways) then i see transformers and epic battles against forcefields with loads of colours & flashes - definitely not my cup of tea.

but anyways, since their site is completely empty information-wise - what kind of pvp is there?

Thats a piss poor representation to be fair :p

Combat is WoW style.

PvP - every 8 hours, theres a mass PvP - called a chip war - 3 sided conflict - whoever wins gains mining rigts to an area known as the crag field. Mining obtains minerals, which you refine to obtain building materials and Upgrades, known as talics.

PvP is also available solo, by travelling to any area, and kicking off - you can only attack the other races, and no one may fight in a settlement.

Levelling zones are reasonably well protected by turrets etc, and players are quick to respond.

PvP kils gain Contribution points which can be traded for things, or used to gain one of a few coveted positions, the top ten players of each race have access to special features, such as a special race channel, to address the entire faction. and collaberations with GMs. the rota changes everyday at 12AM when the new top ten players are given thier titles.

The top ten players are decided on Contribution points.

They also recieve other perks, that I do not have any info on, as I didn't quite manage to get to be one. Came close though. It's hard to describe, as a game of this kind isn't my usual cup of tea, but it's immensly enjoyable.

Transformers - are the mechs used by a certain class of the bellato race, called MAU's. They suck :p

I belive that if they expanded on this game, it has real piotential. There's already been anouncements to add exrra areas, monsters, levels and items.

Demental
23-02-06, 04:52
The best thing about RF online is it's easy payment methods and how easy it is to actually get yourself in game. It currently has 2 payment methods

WORLDPAY & PAYPAL.

How sweet is that?

Spermy
23-02-06, 12:20
The best thing about RF online is it's easy payment methods and how easy it is to actually get yourself in game. It currently has 2 payment methods

WORLDPAY & PAYPAL.

How sweet is that?

It was relatively painless.

Worldpay, for the record, are not as lovely as some would thinlk however.

Richard Slade
23-02-06, 13:35

WORLDPAY & PAYPAL.

How sweet is that?

When the best thing about a game is the payment, something's veee-heery wrong IMO O_o

Demental
23-02-06, 15:00
When the best thing about a game is the payment, something's veee-heery wrong IMO O_o

It isn't the best thing.. I was just saying after dealing with the shit ass terrible methods here it was a relief to have it easy to get in game in a few minutes and send payments through a trust-worhy site. I hope reakktor gets better payments soon. I miss them using worldpay I never had a single problem with them all the time they used em.

Tauan
23-02-06, 23:40
Spirit server, bellato Armor rider, member of Lost Perpouse...was in beta and have no plans to quit it....NC2 is just my game when i want to kill things

Netphreak
24-02-06, 03:22
I'm gonna be a Cora Ranger on the Uk server which I think is Fire but I could be wrong.
Will probably make a Cora Spiritualist Alt aswell just to mess with.

I'm gonna stay away from NC till it gets sortted out, which with KK recent increase in actually trying to fix their game we might see it happen sometime this year.

Koshinn
24-02-06, 03:57
naked manga girls with huge tits & handsome 15 years old boys with BIG guns (weapons, swords, whatever, its all freudian anyways) then i see transformers and epic battles against air (forcefields) with loads of colours & flashes - definitely not my cup of tea.

/edit/ ok now i know enough lol, it really is a japanese manga style mmorpg - its some fucking land of immortal heroes struggling in neverending epic battles for the sake of their own stupidity...

That sounds completely biased. I've never played the game but I can see when someone is totally against something before even taking a look at it, and xyl_az is one of them.

Richard Slade
24-02-06, 04:07
That sounds completely biased. I've never played the game but I can see when someone is totally against something before even taking a look at it, and xyl_az is one of them.

He's actually right...
Take it from someone who played it...
Freud would seriously have ALOT to say about that game :wtf:

Koshinn
24-02-06, 04:10
He's actually right...
Take it from someone who played it...
Freud would seriously have ALOT to say about that game :wtf:
Freud was also on crack. Litterally.

Richard Slade
24-02-06, 04:14
Freud was also on crack. Litterally.

And Einstein had Asperger's Syndrome (Autismspectra disorder)
All great minds had great flaws.

Koshinn
24-02-06, 04:32
And Einstein had Asperger's Syndrome (Autismspectra disorder)
All great minds had great flaws.

Einstein also fully disagreed with quantum mechanics!

People with Asperger's syndrome usually have an above average intellect, so that helps Einstein, but it's only speculated that Einstein had AS anyway.

Coke, on the other hand, creates euphoria and can lead to hallucinations. That may lead one to question statements made by a cocaine user.

Richard Slade
24-02-06, 05:57
Einstein also fully disagreed with quantum mechanics!

People with Asperger's syndrome usually have an above average intellect, so that helps Einstein, but it's only speculated that Einstein had AS anyway.

Coke, on the other hand, creates euphoria and can lead to hallucinations. That may lead one to question statements made by a cocaine user.

Well so they said about Shrooms too..
Then Ragdoll Kung-Fu came :D

Edit: What does this have to do with anything?
Freud WOULD have alot to say about it, I don't care if he so was a borderline girl with suicidal tendencies..

Koshinn
24-02-06, 07:32
Well so they said about Shrooms too..
Then Ragdoll Kung-Fu came :D

Edit: What does this have to do with anything?
Freud WOULD have alot to say about it, I don't care if he so was a borderline girl with suicidal tendencies..

lol.

btw ragdoll kung-fu would be much better if it was free.

Richard Slade
24-02-06, 17:49
lol.

btw ragdoll kung-fu would be much better if it was free.
[ edited ] Anyways, ya, it should've been free, and was intended to too, but some certain company that developed Steam owned Mark and took the game.. O_o

nobby
02-03-06, 19:43
Do they allow you to download the game-Then buy the account?

Spermy
02-03-06, 22:00
Not as yet - apparently it's in teh works.

Logan_storm_03
02-03-06, 22:10
I'm interested, just been playing Planetside again (for me cheep pvp fix) intill I'm hoping KK to sort out click2pay and give them a jolly good slapping.

How badly does RF ******** your machine, since mines abit crap at the moment.

Compare it to neocron so i get a better idea.

I'll probly get around 10fps in a nc opfight. Inless its crazy sized.

Spermy
02-03-06, 23:04
I chug less in rf than i do in NC. It doesn't ******** your machine at all. There's a lot of options you can fiddle with to improve performance.

=REMUS=
04-03-06, 17:36
I've been playing it for a few days now, feels very much like the bastard child of Phantesy Star Online and Line Age 2 but without the insane grind time of LA2.

I'm still playing NC2 under a different name but RF has absorbed me, a little to much focus on AFK skilling though and mineing but I suppose people would do that anyway with macros, but now it seems they let you just tape a mouse button down ;)

Currently i'm a lv 20 Accretian Warrior on the fire server, if anyone else is playing my faction on fire chuck me a pm.

Lexxuk
05-03-06, 16:57
Remus, I'm a 30 Driver on Fire server! Lets meet up somewhere and share war stories :angel:

Anyhow, honest opinion from someone who's played since Phase 1.

Visually its colourful, but bland, low res graphics that are spruced up to look pretty but its just tinsel.

1 v 1 PVP is unbalanced, you have to have huge groups to kill one person, but that one person cant kill your group.

APU's are hideously overpowered doing 800+ to a MAU whilst other classes only manage 200 if they are lucky and are using their special skills.

No PPU's, dont need them, you buy potions which constantly heal you for upto 5k HP.

PVP is fun though if you can get an organised team, you're quite able to totally destroy the enemy, a small group of organised people can hold off a larger group, and with MAU's in support its easier (MAU's are targets cause they cost so much to repair).

ATI Cards = bugged since beta in other countries

AD run the GM show but are making some seriously bad decisions "we made this an exploit, we found people exploiting it and told them off! Even though we shoulda banned them"

You are rewarded for killing your enemy, but they now allow you to level up PT's on your enemy (PT's are like skill points, you get melee/ranged etc.. PT as well as XP) so that sucks.

The game is fun, grind isnt so bad, lots of politics with the worlds worst guild on fire.

Loot drops are screwed but Codemasters are not doing anything about it.

Codemasters do not have access to the code, so any changes they have to make has to go to CCR in Korea before it can be addressed.

Communication between Codemasters and the Community is worse than the worst that KK could offer ;)

All in all, even with the bugs, its a blast, though very team orientated PVP based game.

slith
05-03-06, 17:35
Looking at all those screens...
Can you play it one-handed? :angel:

nobby
05-03-06, 21:47
I've been absorbed into the game now...

Bought it last night, got a warrior on Fire, I'm with bellato.
Lvl 15 atm, Still experimenting with weapons which I find best...

all in all, it's good fun

Spermy
05-03-06, 22:06
I'm On spirit - A warrior/Destroyer in the expert tier. Accretia.

My name is euronyx.

I agree with lexx to some extent in that there are a few imbalances etc, but it's a seriously fun game. I wouldn't be playing if it wasn't. I also have to disagree with the pot spam, as there is a hidden cooldown between pot usage.

I often take advantage of this to chain attack togather just after they chug a pot, with awesome results. :D

There are howver some tough nuts to crack. The tanks are nigh on impossible to kill. They do sod all, but you just can't down them. The problem that we have at the mo is that half the community seem to be involved in thier first MMO, and have no grasp of the fact that tanks should not be engaged! they waste all thier time attacking those guys, and wonder why the mages kick thier asses!

Pfft :p

Lexxuk
06-03-06, 01:20
Looking at all those screens...
Can you play it one-handed? :angel:

Yes... if your a MAU driver you just use the mouse ;)

Spermy
06-03-06, 11:12
Gah - I have 30/48 PTs in melee thanks to the 30 jump. time to fill em up. Going to manchester tonight to get a look at a house, so I'll sticky tape my buff keys for some AFK levelling.

(Which funnilly enough isn't a sploit.) Sticky tape>Bots. :P

nobby
08-03-06, 13:28
Gah - I have 30/48 PTs in melee thanks to the 30 jump. time to fill em up. Going to manchester tonight to get a look at a house, so I'll sticky tape my buff keys for some AFK levelling.

(Which funnilly enough isn't a sploit.) Sticky tape>Bots. :P

heh, I remember When I was told by a GM I was macro punching the guards at MC5 when I only selotaped the mouse button down :p

Btw, What's the server population of RF online on Fire?

Spermy
08-03-06, 13:57
heh, I remember When I was told by a GM I was macro punching the guards at MC5 when I only selotaped the mouse button down :p

Btw, What's the server population of RF online on Fire?

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83578

Forums are your friend. :)

A good overview - from the fire server world board.

Fire Server Pop (Correct as of: 07/03 2145GMT):
Accretia: 33%
Bellato: 34.49%
Cora: 32.51%

Fire Server Pop (Correct as of: 06/03 2218GMT):
Accretia: 33.71%
Bellato: 37.05%
Cora: 29.24%

Fire Server Pop (Correct as of: 27/02 2047GMT):
Accretia: 29.04%
Bellato: 45%
Cora: 25.96%

Percentages may vary as this information is taken from the amount of players actually active on the servers at the times the information is taken.

Also - population wise - it's teh third most played game amongst Xfire users. So I'm guessing a lot. ;)

And yes - we do have AD as our GM team, and yes, they are fucking awesome.