PDA

View Full Version : KK.... Delete skill emails?

Heavyporker
18-02-06, 20:03
This idea was bought up a little while ago, and I have to say, that idea was perfect!

After all, doesn't newbie MC5 ALREADY have hint popups, skillhelper NPCs, and tries to train newbies in the basics?

Let's stop one bit of the handholding after they get out of newbie MC5: these spamming helper emails.

Simply delete them from the game.

If you're still hung up on the idea of telling newbies about factions.... why not just have spy NPCs from each faction hiding out in newbie MC5, scattered away from the main building, but maybe disguised as helpers, technicians, and low level hunters. When a player of the same faction comes near, the spy NPCs could speak out into local (don't tell me it can't be done, this happens all the time, like Copbots saying "put your weapon down", etc etc) like " Hey, there, fella! Can we chat a bit?". When the player interacts with the npc, feed them the script about getting out of newbie MC5, maybe the apt thing, then definitely tell them to find their faction HQ and chat up their new bosses and get a job.

There we go, now the player is informed. And all of Neocron is freed from the *PLAGUE* of completely useless skillhelper emails.

awkward silence
18-02-06, 20:21
/signed

elGringo
18-02-06, 20:26
I've asked for this myself ...time after time.

REMOVE the skilladvisor mail "feature" !
PLEASE! :(

Hell-demon
18-02-06, 20:45
I too sign this

POS skill emails.... :(

BlackDove
18-02-06, 21:17
Nobody reads that shit anyway.

Down the toilet. Bad idea, just like n00b mc5.

Spoon
18-02-06, 21:33
yeah, they suck..

*EDIT*

btw, many of the skill emails are misleading...

Like some that say to train your TC, instead of just saying it's a requirement, it implies that it will boost your effectiveness...

ROZZER187
18-02-06, 23:56
ive got 36 atm...... :lol:

sure someone must have more

Spermy
19-02-06, 00:34
ive got 36 atm...... :lol:

sure someone must have more

I have Thirty - and something resembling a "y"... O_o

yavimaya
19-02-06, 01:20
/signed

73 here

Jipz
19-02-06, 01:46
signed/ :rolleyes:

93 here

Whitestuff
19-02-06, 08:53
You know, it's funny. A lot of people thought the skill advisor e-mails were a good idea back in the day. Now we get replies of "no one reads them anyway".

The only thing annoying about them is that they get spammed when I have a login error (every freaking time I login BTW). It has to do with the fact that your client thinks your character is a noob, so it generates the email. How about we have the client send for a level verification from the server when you login before it generates the email? Sound good? That way, if noobs choose not to read them, then so be it. Leave us capped characters alone with this "You'll want to train HC to help your group out" bullcrap.

unreal
19-02-06, 10:00
heh, my newly rerolled PE had an email about deaths/the GenRep system... it still mentioned the whole dropping your backpack thing, and that it would be left at the location you died at for you to pick up. Lots of things in and out of game are misleading ;)

SnAkE_BE
19-02-06, 11:41
heh, my newly rerolled PE had an email about deaths/the GenRep system... it still mentioned the whole dropping your backpack thing, and that it would be left at the location you died at for you to pick up. Lots of things in and out of game are misleading ;)

OMG OMG nc1 is secretly comming back ^^

elGringo
19-02-06, 15:04
You know, it's funny. A lot of people thought the skill advisor e-mails were a good idea back in the day. Now we get replies of "no one reads them anyway".

To add to the fun, I cant tell you of any beginner who really read and/or understood the mails content ...so where's the big pro ?
The only difference between the skilladvisor mail and the tangent/a fried info mails is, that the skilladvisor mails are supposed to be sent at certain stages of progress ...again, I have yet to come across the fortunate one who received a second or third advice.. and not 50-200x the very same "skilladvisor #1" mail.

The only thing annoying about them is that they get spammed when I have a login error (every freaking time I login BTW).

...and although my client runs relatively smooth compared to what other people report, the skilladvisor mails totally ruined a great and unique NC feature for me: ingame mails.
I used it heaps back in NC1 ..and now I cant even bother to open up the mail tab on the citycom.

It has to do with the fact that your client thinks your character is a noob, so it generates the email. How about we have the client send for a level verification from the server when you login before it generates the email? Sound good?

No, does not sound good to me. If the mail was sent everytime "the client thinks" the logged char is approx a certain level, you'd get the spam heaps anyway (e.g relogging a 0/2 several times) :)

KK tried to fix the error, quite a few month ago. Obviously they did not succeed. Therefor I really, really hope - someone's gonna start comparing the pro's and con's of keeping that much beloved skilladvisor feature in place.
If that first mail thats being spammed worse than v1agra outgame is so important to KK ...and they really dont want to remove it ...keep it - but - please REMOVE the skilladvisor mail feature. Make it one of the other mails you receive at startup if you have to.

Mr Kot
19-02-06, 16:40
Better still... fix those damn skills advisors in faction HQs.

How long have they been waiting for their 'assistent' (sic) now?

If each of those class NPCs has a script for each feasible profession for that class, that will do exactly the job those annoying mails were intended to do.

Im sure that scripting NPCs would be far easier than attempting to fix the bug that sends the mails every bad login.

RusSki
19-02-06, 23:58
I've said it before and i'll say it again. Once a new player has left noobie mc5 the first point of contact is mr. jones. Now jones knows which profession they player has selected according to the missions he offers. Cant they also add in a script that details information and help regarding that chosen profession that can be selected and viewed while not currently undertaking one of his mini quest tasks.

Then remove the god forsaken personal skill advisor emails and let us get back to using the email system for communication from the kk storyline team and with players that are not usually online during the same times that for example, i am.
At the moment i just dont bother looking at my mails till there are 30+ and even then i dont delete them because its such a slow process to do so.