PDA

View Full Version : Monks - A simple question

SorkZmok
15-02-06, 21:25
Right, KK.

Will monks ever get line of sight on their spells? Because i am sick of all those clipping monks when you fight em in close quarters. No chance to hit em with a gun yet they can drop you with HL around 3 corners.

If the netcode wasnt that shit i wouldnt care. But it is. So someone just tell me if KK are even considering it. Please!

I think this would be one step towards balanced monks. I can easily fight 3 pes/spies/tanks at once, if one measly APU joins in, i either leave or i'm toast. :(

Another thing, while i'm on the issue anyway, what about the insane random damage APU spells do? Sometimes i get hit for 10, sometimes its 100. This just can't be it. If it was reasonable random damage, ok. But this is insane.

Anyone else of the same or another opinion?

/edit
Well, it's 2 questions now. :p

/another edit
This just came to my mind...are there any (doy) mobs that have guns like copbots, i.e. plasma hits from the sky?

giga191
15-02-06, 21:30
out of all classes i hate fighting apus the most. i hate they way the run thru walls. i hate the way you get hit by invisible HLs and i hate the way they do insane dmg and can take out your legs so fast.

Scaramanga
15-02-06, 21:33
Monks won't get fixed. Last bit of balancing i remember was non monks getting shit on by the reload issue.

This isnt the game you thought you bought.

Dribble Joy
15-02-06, 21:33
The high range of random dmg really does need sorting.

SorkZmok
15-02-06, 21:37
Monks won't get fixed. Last bit of balancing i remember was non monks getting shit on by the reload issue.

This isnt the game you thought you bought.Uh, the reload issue. Another secret non-monk nerf. Anyway, i don't want this in here. :)

Just those 2 things that piss me off the most about monks. Besides PPUs. Well, 3 things. :lol:

mdares
15-02-06, 21:39
random dmg does suck tbh; u think its bad for people who pvp against apus but its just as bad for us; as in sometimes we hit u for 100 and next 3 times we hit u for 10... theres no consistency...

i dunt mind lowering upper bound if it means raising the lower... or better yet, just BRING BACK CONSISTENT DMG!

as for the clipping issue, its actually all netcode. that is if u wanna look like ur clipping, just setup ur char to have like more than 160 combined ath + agil (so u run at nearly 80 spd or more). then if u wanna look like ur clipping around stuff, just uh move... cuz the serveres cant keep up with u every step hence the clips.

with that said tho, only PEs, MC Tanks, and monks can pull that off =\

SorkZmok
15-02-06, 21:42
as for the clipping issue, its actually all netcode. that is if u wanna look like ur clipping, just setup ur char to have like more than 160 combined ath + agil (so u run at nearly 80 spd or more). then if u wanna look like ur clipping around stuff, just uh move... cuz the serveres cant keep up with u every step hence the clips.

with that said tho, only PEs, MC Tanks, and monks can pull that off =\If the netcode would be better i wouldn't care as i said. But as it is now, only monks benefit from it because the HL will still hit and hurt you around 3 corners where every other weapon in this game would not. This is what pisses me off.

Tratos
15-02-06, 22:16
/another edit
This just came to my mind...are there any (doy) mobs that have guns like copbots, i.e. plasma hits from the sky?
Nope, Copbots are the only mob (including their 'varients' so basiclly City Admin Gaurds and Screaming Horse, lol) in the game which have the wonderful sky plasma.

Sky plasma should become a thing of the past - Give all gaurds LoS plasma!

SorkZmok
16-02-06, 04:22
Nope, Copbots are the only mob (including their 'varients' so basiclly City Admin Gaurds and Screaming Horse, lol) in the game which have the wonderful sky plasma.

Sky plasma should become a thing of the past - Give all gaurds LoS plasma!Nice.

Cause then i got wasted by some guy with a copbot rifle some days ago. :(

Transformer
16-02-06, 04:27
Writing a message to KK in the forums? Good luck with that. Not saying that there's a better place to do it, but it'll be read by a couple mods and then ignored. Maybe if they read this they'll be forced to prove me wrong and forward it along and then say that it was to try and cheer us up and keep us addicted.

SorkZmok
16-02-06, 04:35
Writing a message to KK in the forums? Good luck with that. Not saying that there's a better place to do it, but it'll be read by a couple mods and then ignored. Maybe if they read this they'll be forced to prove me wrong and forward it along and then say that it was to try and cheer us up and keep us addicted.
So what? It's like sending in reports about exploding people. If i'd drop emails to every KK email adress there is, one mail to each adress each day for the next year it probably wouldn't matter. I just like to post i guess. :)

Dogface
16-02-06, 04:51
If you think KK reads nothing on these forums and stop posting things like this, you're not doing yourselves any favours..

Besides, how do you know they don't read anything here? Because they don't reply to every thread with "right, we'll get right onto this and fix it for you, and only you as soon as possible."
If they did post something saying it was going to be fixed but took their time, or prioritised it less.. Some people would scream and cry and threaten to quit because they thought they were being ignored.

Apocalypsox
16-02-06, 04:53
I think we need spirit mods back, and let all guns be modded with them, and sell spirit ammo and Archer&Wesson. that would nerf monks fairly well :lol:

SorkZmok
16-02-06, 05:10
If you think KK reads nothing on these forums and stop posting things like this, you're not doing yourselves any favours..

Besides, how do you know they don't read anything here? Because they don't reply to every thread with "right, we'll get right onto this and fix it for you, and only you as soon as possible."
If they did post something saying it was going to be fixed but took their time, or prioritised it less.. Some people would scream and cry and threaten to quit because they thought they were being ignored.I know they read 'em. And i damn hope what they read is gonna influence them in what they decide to change next.
I love this game, i've been through so much shit over the last years but now i'm just getting sick of it.
Every tiny bit helps. And if its just some guy from KK telling me that monk los is something thats unbalanced and is being looked into or even considered being changed, i'm happy.

And if you ever heard me ingame you should know that i give a shit about other people. I'm the fucking center of the universe. :)

God, i must be the worldst worst fanboy. :lol:

Bozz-Von Mel
16-02-06, 23:58
Wow balancing issues again. What is balance anyway? Is balance really what we want ? What fun would that be ?

Monks are clearly a more powerfull class and its not balanced. I dont think asking devs to change things is the answer. Thats like asking the UN to outlaw combat aircraft because it gives someone an unfair advantage.

I dont like monks at all personally. However, I dont see people using creativity to overcome a balance issue. eg, take 8 hoverbombers and 8 rhinos to a fight and bomb all monks. That might work once. Then you have to constantly change and evolve.

Any ideas on how to overcome the balancing issue without having to redesign the game ????

Spermy
17-02-06, 00:18
Just to derail this - on the subject of monks. I was in Gaia. On a /90 mob I was doing 700ish damage with a Holy Lightning. that rate of fire and that damage is just obscene. Now I know I suck at monks and rarely play one, but it seems a bit off to me.

Bear in mind the fact that I still don't have a feel for monks, and am probably way off the mark here.

Odin
17-02-06, 00:36
Things will change. Oh yes they will change. I suggest you strap in.

And yes I'm evil cause that's all I'm saying.

SorkZmok
17-02-06, 00:37
Ahaha, damn you!

Must. Wait. For. EVO2.2. :lol:

giga191
17-02-06, 00:58
Ahaha, damn you!

Must. Wait. For. EVO2.2. :lol: i wish people would stop saying that, the balancing isn't 2.2. They've just said that 2.2 will be delayed so that they can do the balancing instead.

Back on topic.... i took a single HL hit today on my fully buffed spy, just before stealthing, and i saw that it had done 133 dmg to me 0o. That's a third of my HP gone in the hit of one spell that shoots at 105/min or 1.75/second. Add a ppu to this and there's no wonder there are issues that need resolving.

Terayon
17-02-06, 01:10
Maybe you had your poison belt on again. ;)

Looking forward to the changes. Think ill wait tell then before i pay for another month.

Faid
17-02-06, 02:17

Sky plasma should become a thing of the past - Give all gaurds LoS plasma!

The Mobs outside of MC5 also have these delightful little "hit you from the sky" plasma rifles, and dammit if they dont kill you fast 8|

J J
17-02-06, 02:28
i wish people would stop saying that, the balancing isn't 2.2. They've just said that 2.2 will be delayed so that they can do the balancing instead.

Back on topic.... i took a single HL hit today on my fully buffed spy, just before stealthing, and i saw that it had done 133 dmg to me 0o. That's a third of my HP gone in the hit of one spell that shoots at 105/min or 1.75/second. Add a ppu to this and there's no wonder there are issues that need resolving.

Add to that the fact that the time between you pressing your mouse button to stealth and you actually disappearing from their screen seems to vary from about half a second to about 3 seconds you're often toast even though you're stealthed on your screen. They can get another 2/3 HL hits in while you're unable to do anything because all your qb slots are greyed out...

Bozz-Von Mel
17-02-06, 07:44
Not to take the side of monks, but that whole concept of calling down lighting from the sky has to be powerfull. I mean a bolt of lighting would have to hurt and its random cause sometimes people live when they are struck by lighting. Step voltage is funny like that. Should it be right that a bolt of lighting causes more damage than a bullet?

Drake6k
17-02-06, 07:47
Haha Odin :D

Well at least something is going to happen.. to monks.. this will be good.
Also I strongly like the idea of giving monks a reticle. We've accepted that monks don't have to use one but giving them one.. and making them have a LoS, then modifying mst and making psi resist a new skill.. handling will finally do something on spells.. and... yeah that would rock. =)

Bugs Gunny
17-02-06, 08:38
I've also heard rumors that things will change a LOT.

Looking forward to bringing my pilot to opwars.

jini
17-02-06, 11:33
It seems that things will CHANGE so much that I'm starting to afraid that we will lose entirely the "known" neocron feeling. I do believe in Dirus, but please, dont change anything unless you have set up a good, trusty veterans team to test things up. And I'm not implying test things using veterans that start spitting out numbers, in an effort to prove they know the game. I know at least 2 runners that follow this rule. We need good people to test overall gameplay, good people, or "vets" that will provide good feedback for the sake of the rest of the community.

I'm more a follower of small steps in changes rather than radical steps, but I admit I dont see the whole picture the way Dirus does.

SorkZmok
17-02-06, 11:52
The Mobs outside of MC5 also have these delightful little "hit you from the sky" plasma rifles, and dammit if they dont kill you fast 8|
Well, i was in a different zone than the MC5 one. And after i dropped dead, about 10 seconds later a PE ran up to my body. :rolleyes:

commerzgandalf
17-02-06, 12:09
Things will change. Oh yes they will change. I suggest you strap in.

And yes I'm evil cause that's all I'm saying.

when plz just say us when !!PLZ!!

Bugs Gunny
17-02-06, 12:43
Well if the whole thing is redone, nothing stops them from making the outside look almost unchanged, kind of like turning a mercedes S class into an electricaly powered car, then adding an engine sound and vibration simulator so the person driving it wouldn't know the difference.

jini
17-02-06, 13:03
Well if the whole thing is redone, nothing stops them from making the outside look almost unchanged, kind of like turning a mercedes S class into an electricaly powered car, then adding an engine sound and vibration simulator so the person driving it wouldn't know the difference.
damn it! thats how I run my merceds now... how did you know?

Bugs Gunny
17-02-06, 13:34
Because when you borrowed my car and you went to fill her up, you stripped a leadwire from the wallsocket and stuck it in the gastank......

My insurance company is still working things out with yours.

John Wu
17-02-06, 18:11
Not to take the side of monks, but that whole concept of calling down lighting from the sky has to be powerfull. I mean a bolt of lighting would have to hurt and its random cause sometimes people live when they are struck by lighting. Step voltage is funny like that. Should it be right that a bolt of lighting causes more damage than a bullet?
please link us to some statistics of people getting hit by lightning while wearing spy power armor 3 and some inqui armor.

in return, I'll give you a link to statistics about people getting shot in the face with a submachine gun while wearing funny robes.

hilarious :lol:

Rob01m
17-02-06, 19:45

Realism isn't necessary, and sometimes impedes fun factor. In order to have a game based mostly on player vs player combat, we need balanced classes. For example, sure, you can give the mighty weapon of lightning to a class - but they better have a downside, like a weak defense or slow speed. If you're going to give someone the ability to massively increase other's effectiveness, they better have a downside as well.

If you have two classes with common purposes, then no, you can't have one means of weaponry (lightning) be better than another (guns) every single time based on realism. Balance is the key to fun in a competitive game. Fun supersedes realism in any game, period.

Scaramanga
17-02-06, 20:00
Right, KK.

Will monks ever get line of sight on their spells?

No. The only thing i can see KK doing to even things up is make Wep lore a req (in the same respect that TC is) and remove reticule from gunners. Make it spray and pray instead.

unreal
17-02-06, 22:43
errrr... no. If anything monks should get an aim reticle, a sign that they really are weaker versions of yoda, and have to concentrate more on their target, give AoE spells an aim reticle too (multi-lightning-bolt etc) except for barrels.

Not to take the side of monks, but that whole concept of calling down lighting from the sky has to be powerfull. I mean a bolt of lighting would have to hurt and its random cause sometimes people live when they are struck by lighting. Step voltage is funny like that. Should it be right that a bolt of lighting causes more damage than a bullet?It depends. People have been hit by lightning and lived without a scratch. Whereas most people shot in the face by a pistol will have no face or indeed, their life, by the time the bullet has exited. Now rifles/shotguns, and heavy weapons will make sausage meat out of what they shoot.

It should be powerful, but only in accordance to the amounts of damage the other classes are able to do... as someone so rightly said about noting down the damage done by a monk to typical PA3 spy wearing inq armour, then comparing it to any non-heavy weapon shot at a monk... you'll find the differences are frigging huge.

Edit: Fear the poison nailgun. ;)

Agent L
18-02-06, 00:38
I believe problem is that monks have BOTH no aim AND best dmg.
These are 2 features which should be distributed among 2 clases imo.