PDA

View Full Version : [CbT]OT -Router issues

Spermy
14-02-06, 13:41
Hey guys I have a wireless router (Linksy). It worked great when I first got it. But now I have to reset it every couple of days or it really slows down my connection. It really pisses me off... Any ideas how to fix this problem?

thx in advanced guys

Anyone help this guy?

(alterior motive here :p He's my main tank in RF - been levelling since I joined. Phear teh ranged attacks!)

cMz
14-02-06, 14:06
If the router is not configured to use some kind of protection, maybe someone else is using his bandwith to download things.

Set up WPA on the thing if that is not already running.
Set the router so that it wont show up as an accesspoint to anyone.
Set MAC-adresses so that only known MAC-adresse will be allowed to connect.

rob444
14-02-06, 14:07
I've heard wireless devices makes a lot of heat, maybe that's where the problem is.

Redburn
14-02-06, 15:51
Heat is your problem, Have a Linksys router and access point stacked with the DSL modem well lets so had stacked.. had to give them all more room due to the heat they gave off plus was reseting the router every other day cause it would lock up.

YES set your WAP on your access point so no one else has access to your network.

jini
14-02-06, 17:58
You can do as cMz says and enable cde protection on your router, but FIRST of all also change if you haven't done so, router access. Change it using a new pasword and then protect your wireless network using WPA and MAC address restriction. This way your router will only be accessible to you only. It doesn't sound like a heat problem to me

RusSki
14-02-06, 20:41
ya as jini suggests

its silly how many nibs broadband and pc's i can access even in my street.
BT, ntl, yahoo etc etc need to sort out their advice for security.
its not even like i live in a bg town, god knows what its like in london.

Also for the love of all that is rightous in the world dont use the crappy wireless modem that ur isp provides, its generally of a very low standard. ok spermy this dont include you but for anyone else plz heed these world

Spermy
15-02-06, 15:55
ya as jini suggests

its silly how many nibs broadband and pc's i can access even in my street.
BT, ntl, yahoo etc etc need to sort out their advice for security.
its not even like i live in a bg town, god knows what its like in london.

Also for the love of all that is rightous in the world dont use the crappy wireless modem that ur isp provides, its generally of a very low standard. ok spermy this dont include you but for anyone else plz heed these world

Heh - Wireless Networking just doesn't grab me at all. I have carpet to put over my cable accesses, what else do you need? :p

BTW - He fixed his issue - it was indeed heat. ( Although I believe it was his SHIT! choice of hardware.) same issue my girlfriend has. except hers fell apart 3 days after she got it...

Women. :rolleyes:

Close please :p

Lodar
15-02-06, 16:33
Closed by Threadstarter.