PDA

View Full Version : Speeding things up a bit.

Scaramanga
06-02-06, 15:27
If i hit Ctrl Alt Delete and check processes i have 48 running. Will reducing this make my comp run quicker (for programs such as NC).

If so, is there a bare minimum of processes i need running (wouldn't want to remove something important).

elGringo
06-02-06, 15:37
http://www.tweakxp.com/performance_tweaks.aspx

Pantho
06-02-06, 15:38
48 is way to much,

At home when i paly NC with a Firewall-Virus scanner and Ventrillo i tihnk i have aroudn 20-25 Depending,

I would suggest using a few virus scanners and spyware programs.

ZoVoS
06-02-06, 17:56
when i play nc i dont even have my explorer.exe running... everysingle process is canseled.. apart from the oncasional vent or TS

-FN-
06-02-06, 18:40
when i play nc i dont even have my explorer.exe running... everysingle process is canseled.. apart from the oncasional vent or TS
Um... you realize that you would have no taskbar or desktop icons and must have to Ctrl-Alt-Del and manually start a new explorer.exe process each time you quit NC, right? :wtf:

Scaramanga - With no anti-virus/spyware software running and no extra crap, you should have between 12 and 15 processes. In my screenshot - that's what's typically running on my PC when I'm in-game. Except for the greyed out processes - those are because I'm using remote desktop to get the screenshot :p But if you throw in an Nvidia/ATI process or two, maybe a winamp agent, and a few other minimal processes, that's perfectly fine too. Moreso than minimizing the NUMBER of programs you're running - look and see what takes up the most Memory and the most CPU time - those applications, if run under your username, can most likely be ditched.

elGringo
06-02-06, 18:47
...and must have to Ctrl-Alt-Del and manually start a new explorer.exe process each time you quit NC, right? :wtf:

At least he saves himself killing the explorer.exe after quiting nc :p
I have to manually kill the explorer, then restart it after each nc session .. otherwise windows act strange and tabbing doesnt work.... but uh.. thats ot :)

rob444
06-02-06, 19:26
when i play nc i dont even have my explorer.exe running... everysingle process is canseled..

I used to do that too on my older pc, worked great and I didn't need explorer.exe, geez, windowskey + e ; windowskey +r worked wonders, no need to have crappy explorer.exe running :P.

Pantho
06-02-06, 19:53
When u use Windows +E and Windows + R, It reboots Explorer.exe (rundll/kernel or w/e)

rob444
06-02-06, 22:49
When u use Windows +E and Windows + R, It reboots Explorer.exe (rundll/kernel or w/e)

Hmm, might be crappy Windows XP that does that then, long live win2k!

Pantho
06-02-06, 23:03
Hmm, might be crappy Windows XP that does that then, long live win2k!

Correct

Scaramanga
07-02-06, 12:14
Thanks a lot for all the pointers, i'll try giving it a go when i get back from work.

ZoVoS
08-02-06, 14:46
actualy just press ctrl alt del which boots taks manager and click run and from that u can access anything... just like a pirtty lil CMD window =] who needs explorer.exe :D not I sir

(the rest is alt tabbing if i have something such as an internet window or something else)