PDA

View Full Version : [OT] iTunes Alternative.

Tratos
05-02-06, 16:46
I've got my girlfriends old iPod since she got a nano for christmas to fill with all my lovly old/cheesy/rock/new/weird and wonderful music but i really dont want to use iTunes as i fucking hate the damn thing.

Are their any alternatives which are freely available on the intarweb?

MkVenner
05-02-06, 17:36
If you use WinAmp you can get the ml_iPod plugin (http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=138888), it's what I use, nice and easy, you can just right click a song, hit "Send To iPod" on the playlist editor, or you can go through the media libry. Does pretty much everything you could ask of it :p

Tratos
05-02-06, 19:44
I've downloaded and installed that but i need to update the ipod for it to be recognised, if i update the iPod software will it wipe the iPod? as i'll be a dead man if i loose my gfs music, lol since she wants it kept for some odd reason.

RogerRamjet
05-02-06, 20:34
Is there any David Bowie on the aforementioned I-Pod?

eprodigy
05-02-06, 20:45
hmm i personally like itunes... i dont even own an ipod and i use it to store my music. it's simple and i prefer the folder style to playlists..

but i guess that doesnt really help ;)

Foo
05-02-06, 22:07
I've downloaded and installed that but i need to update the ipod for it to be recognised, if i update the iPod software will it wipe the iPod? as i'll be a dead man if i loose my gfs music, lol since she wants it kept for some odd reason.

Yes it will , i not long ago updated my ipod and blam all tune disapared was gutted but had a;; the tunes i had transfered over from cd to my ipod in my itune library , so if she or you has the itunes installed on her's/your comp for which she/you used to transfer tunes from cd's to ipod then it should have the library with all the tunes on the ipod in there , if yes then update software and just plug the ipod into her's/your comp and update ipod tunes and it should transfer all tunes from library to the ipod again .

Tratos
05-02-06, 23:34
I've had to install iTunes anyway to try and get my PC to notice theres an iPod attached to it which means my PC is now reporting that a mysterious USB device is attached but malfunctioning.

ARGH APPLE I HATE YOU.

MkVenner
05-02-06, 23:40
Yeah, my iPod has made me slowly go insane, it's one of the most annoying things ever created. I've had 2 now, one a warranty replacment of the 1st, both went tits up for no apparent reason. I didn't have to update my iPod to get ml_iPod to recognise it, so I don't know, but it shouldn't erase anything...

RogerRamjet
06-02-06, 00:11
Itunes makes my internet not work. So every album ive bought since crimbo isnt on there.

Theres till 1800 tracks on it mind :D

jini
06-02-06, 07:10
Apple ipod+itunes are the best combo in terms of quality & ease of use as witnesses the 80% of the world population that has access to technology. It's your personall choice not to buy it, but you wont find something better out there. Combine the thing with some audiophile earplugs and you getting amazing portable sound for your pleasure only, in a device thats smaller than a mobile phone

Infinite
06-02-06, 08:44
Get a creative Zen M.
Problem solved! :)

I'm sorry...
*Ipod hater*

Terayon
06-02-06, 08:46
I dont like ipods much. I mean the actual ipod is actualy realy good exept for the battery life. The software i realy dislike. Why couldent they make it so i can just put stuff straight on it if i want to instead of encoding everything :mad: . I also realy hate their advertising.

Also the nano's are the most retarded thing ever.

Ill try this thing though.

Infinite
06-02-06, 08:57
I dont like ipods much. I mean the actual ipod is actualy realy good exept for the battery life. The software i realy dislike. Why couldent they make it so i can just put stuff straight on it if i want to instead of encoding everything :mad: . I also realy hate their advertising.

Never liked Ipods, few mates got them.
There a fashion accessory IMO.

Practical though I guess.

jini
06-02-06, 09:16

what do you mean you can't put stuff on it?
you can put everything in it as soon as you have free space.
-or-
you can encode using apple's lossless encoder (1/3 the size of a CD) as soon as you have the nanos or the new video ipods
or simply by just copying the CD on the thing without ANY compression,
or applying aac/mp3 compression at various rates
You get all those options as you insert the CD in the drive while the software is running.

Personally I have tried all the above using audiophile earplugs (Etymotic's ER4P) and in the end i chose aac compression @ 300something bits

And as a bonus, Apple lists all new movie previews in there site and you can d/l them in h264 format to have a look, or other video clips ( I have never d/l a video clip, but I like free movie teasers)

@infinite: you might dislike the thing fine. But claiming that it's just a fashion accessory, and that some 80% of user were fooled... well it's a bit how to say...

Tratos
06-02-06, 09:26
I also realy hate their advertising.
'hem!

http://www.broken-reality.org/misc/pswork/i-ce%20cream.gif

:D lol - Still havnt got this bastard thing to work, even iTunes wont pick it up.