PDA

View Full Version : Font problem

Mwift
27-01-06, 01:14
Hello, I recently installed Neocron2, and I'm having a problem with the fonts ingame. Here is a screenshot of the problem:

http://www.nightedgehosting.net/font.JPG

I've tried the game at different res, windowed/fullscreen and different display modes, all with the same results. I've tried changing the windows fonts and updated my video drivers(NVidia card). I can't think of any more things to try..any suggestions as to why the fonts are like this? NPC talking is normal.

Crashtec
27-01-06, 01:34
On a different game (jumpgate) a friend of mine had a similar problem with fonts and found out it was caused by only having an onboard video card. However the fonts on her game were unreadable.

cRazy-
27-01-06, 02:48
It could be a Truetype font problem, but im not sure.

Eddie
27-01-06, 05:20
I had a similar problem (and it still exists) which was caused by setting the Windows XP default language for non unicode programs to a non-latin language - which screwed up all the fonts =(

But it was worse than the screenie you have there!

Have a look at that maybe?

Eddie

Mwift
27-01-06, 06:36
Ah! I was using Japanese for non-unicode programs for another game I use, I changed it back to English and it worked fine. :cool: Thanks alot.

Eddie
27-01-06, 21:14
Woo another fellow sufferer!

I reported this problem WAY back in Nc2 beta and nothing was done about it.

I really do need my windows to be set to Chinese so that all my programs work, but everytime I change a reboot is needed.

Horrifically, horrifically annoying.

Eddie

Lodar
27-01-06, 21:22
Woo another fellow sufferer!

I reported this problem WAY back in Nc2 beta and nothing was done about it.

I really do need my windows to be set to Chinese so that all my programs work, but everytime I change a reboot is needed.

Horrifically, horrifically annoying.

Eddie

Can't you use the Language Bar in win2k/xp? That thing in the corner that says EN (if you have multiple languages installed - it says EN in the default lang set anyway) - I'm not sure as I don't use other languagesm, but isn't the language bar there to change without having to reboot?

Mighty Max
27-01-06, 22:00
There is also a shortcut ALT+SHIFT that switches between installed languages.

You could try re-registering the fonts in the Neocron\Fonts folder.

Eddie
27-01-06, 22:52
Nope!

This is the setting under Regional & Language options under Windows XP - the last tab - default language for all non-unicode programs.

The little EN thing in the bottom right controls your INPUT language (how your keyboard is mapped, the codepage conversion, etc.) - not language the system defaults to when unicode is not used.

Believe me, I've tried everything. Even loaded all my chinese apps with AppLocale, or NC with AppLocale under opposite languages.

This has happened with a completely new, fresh, installation of NC onto fresh Windows XP SP2, so it can't be anything to do with fonts.

So it must be a problem with the game. It doesn't happen with anything other apps/games. I can only assume it's something to do with the text rendering function inside NC.

Eddie

Mighty Max
28-01-06, 00:52
This has happened with a completely new, fresh, installation of NC onto fresh Windows XP SP2, so it can't be anything to do with fonts.

So it must be a problem with the game. It doesn't happen with anything other apps/games. I can only assume it's something to do with the text rendering function inside NC.

Eddie

Sorry, but no.

If the rendering function would be bugged at the games level you'd see either a corrupt or no font at all (as the game has to hande the pixel result of windows function)

There is clearly a different font shown (false font, but correct shown). Where should the client take that font if not from windows? Only way for that result that i see, would be windows falling back to default or overriding fontsets.

WinXP font management has its bug and yes they also occure on fresh installations. We had these issues then the registration of fonts failed on installation, but these were resolved in the majority after a windows restart.

Eddie
28-01-06, 19:58
No.

If the font in question, or the functions used to render the font, (both of which "go through" windows to do so, therefore subject to the non-unicode -> unicode translation) then windows could default to a known font which works (i.e. Arial, as we can see in the first screenshot) or it can just not display anything at all - which is what happens to me because I can't see my chat screen or local list.

It is nothing to do with font registration, because as soon as I change the setting and reboot, it works every single time. Changing the language does not cause fonts to be registered or unregistered.

I can also reboot as many times as I want with Chinese set and it won't work.

The thread I made has been archived to a hidden forum, and I can't find the attachment which showed this in action.

Eddie

Mighty Max
28-01-06, 20:32
So does your error extinct possible errorcauses of MWift?

The following links are also font problems, which have nothing to do with the unicode translation (which is still done in windows and not the client which uses *A versions of string/font handling functions)

http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=130551&highlight=font
http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?t=114032&highlight=font

On Windows 98 machines these situations are not solved by just rebooting & you have to register the font again

When this occures since a reinstall chances are that the install was not successfull in doing so. And to check out this is fast done. At least faster then to find reasons to not do so. *click click ready*

Eddie
28-01-06, 21:24
That post didn't make a lot of sense, but neither of the two links provided a screenshot unlike this thread - and what shows in this screenie is almost identical to my symptoms.

And identically, the only solution is to change the language option.

EDIT: Just to clarify, this happened before and after I made a fresh install.

EDIT2: I have also tried messing with the codepage tables when Chinese is selected, as suggested by Iorghe, but with very limited success.

Eddie