PDA

View Full Version : [ot] drive recovery

john irons
24-01-06, 19:19
hi i just reinstalled win xp due to it screwing up,

but im not sure how to get my second hard drive to work again(it's not got the operating system on it)

im sure im meant to mount it or something using the disk management tools
but i cant remember how i did it the last time windows fucked up.

any help would be greatly appreciated:(

kurai
24-01-06, 19:55
On `My Computer` right click, and select `Manage`.

Go down to `Storage`, expand the item, select `Disk Management`.

Your 2nd disk should be there ready to be mounted.

john irons
24-01-06, 20:18
hmm i want to recover the partition i think but im not sure.

gah ffs

npinchot
25-01-06, 00:08
You could try the software called EasyRecovery made by the company OnTrack (www.ontrack.com I think). It doesn't cost a lot but there is a free trial you can download to see if it would be able to recover anything if you decide to purchase the product. It recovers deleted files & partitions & other stuff.

Perhaps a stupid question but are you sure the 2nd drive is plugged in? And are you sure you actually have a 2nd drive, it wasn't a 2nd partition on your primary hard drive (if you make 2 partitions on 1 drive and go in my computer it will look like you have 2 drives but it's just 1 drive that is split up). Sorry not trying to say you are stupid I just don't know what your level of computer knowledge is, just trying to give ya a hand.

john irons
25-01-06, 12:55
well i fixed it now.
the problem was that my copy of winxp is old and didnt come with sp1 preinstalled.

without sp1 theres a limit on the size of the drive you can use limited to 128gb

but now i can use my 400gb drive again :)