PDA

View Full Version : Chat channel abuse

Nidhogg
24-01-06, 11:45
Due to escalating instances of foul and abusive language on the public chat channels the GMs have been instructed to monitor and privately warn offenders. Continued abuse may result in action being taken up to and including a temporary ban.

Please do not misuse the public chat channels and always remember to use the appropriate channel for your communication. Thank you.

1) You may not harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress, unwanted attention or discomfort to another player.

2) Generally, you may not use any offensive or sexually explicit language. You may use such language in a roleplaying context. But be aware of the fact that in a possible verbal harassment situation Reakktor Media Support staff will assume a non-roleplaying situation, if in doubt.

3) You may not use any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable language toward any other player. The same exceptions and regulations as for rule #2 apply.
N

Riddle
24-01-06, 11:48
About time something was done Thanks NID :angel:

nobby
24-01-06, 14:57
good job :p

RockStrongo
25-01-06, 03:55
Do the rules you quoted apply to private conversations in buddy or direct?

elGringo
25-01-06, 04:04
Do the rules you quoted apply to private conversations in buddy or direct?

they certainly apply to any kind of ingame chat - including direct and buddy.

l8m0n
25-01-06, 11:58
its what makes NC what it is, this is all because of all the little kids who play now and it BS tbh

unreal
25-01-06, 12:05
1) You may not harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress, unwanted attention or discomfort to another player.

2) Generally, you may not use any offensive or sexually explicit language. You may use such language in a roleplaying context. But be aware of the fact that in a possible verbal harassment situation Reakktor Media Support staff will assume a non-roleplaying situation, if in doubt.

3) You may not use any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable language toward any other player. The same exceptions and regulations as for rule #2 apply.Oh well, looks like I'm going to be banned for speaking on clan chat. ;)

steweygrrr
25-01-06, 13:23
Public channels.

unreal
25-01-06, 14:18
[ edited ]

CMaster
25-01-06, 16:16
[ edited ]

ZoVoS
25-01-06, 16:16
i dun like it... our strippers get covered up... our right to call sombody a fucking cunt rag beeing taken away :angel: ... its censorship damit... i prefer putting people on my ignore list. then in the future if they ever need something i wont be there to assist ^_^

Bugs Gunny
25-01-06, 17:19
So i guess my salestalk, involving references to people's sexual impotence and the need to buy 100 beast drugs are out then O_o

Tratos
25-01-06, 17:41
So i guess my salestalk, involving references to people's sexual impotence and the need to buy 100 beast drugs are out then O_o
As long as its made out to be meant in jest i can see this
2) Generally, you may not use any offensive or sexually explicit language. You may use such language in a roleplaying context.covering your sales pitches.

Spermy
25-01-06, 18:45
Oh dear kiddies. The right to completely free speech has been taken away. Perhaps it's down to the fact that you were abusing it?

Nidhogg
25-01-06, 19:30
If you wish to discuss this please do so in the Comm Talk forum. This thread is for direct questions/comments. Thanks.

N

yavimaya
26-01-06, 00:02
So Nid, KK's next move will be to put swear word filters in the forums?
I think this is rather pathetic sorry, this game was always great because you could say what you feel, within reason, its a very sad day when things are changed to "protect" those who are actually the ones who are the worst offenders.

Tratos
26-01-06, 00:11
Havnt the chat channel always been moderated a bit?

Nidhogg
26-01-06, 01:04
So Nid, KK's next move will be to put swear word filters in the forums?
Some words are already censored in the forums and always have been. The fact that you don't know this makes me think that you're not the sort of person who can only have fun by issuing a stream of abuse at someone else. What we're proposing for in-game public chat should be no more invasive to you.

N

joran420
26-01-06, 01:31
guys calm down theyre not gonna ban you for saying Fuck you! or using profanity in General.

you will get in trouble if you start slandering someones race/sexual orientation or other non PC stuff your gonna get in trouble

and TBH Im ok with that I dont need ppl calling eachother n******** or BS like that

if they start censoring minor profanity like fuck,shit , etc. then I would bitch and moan too

Foo
26-01-06, 01:37
This has been brought in cause of all the little brainless kids who go against the CoC and think they can be racist brainless fucktards over a public channel and think they can get away with it.

Good stuff imo is what this game needed for a long time now.

yavimaya
26-01-06, 01:57
Some words are already censored in the forums and always have been. The fact that you don't know this makes me think that you're not the sort of person who can only have fun by issuing a stream of abuse at someone else. What we're proposing for in-game public chat should be no more invasive to you.

N

Thank you Nid.
I will admit i do like to swear on occasions, and sometimes a bit too much.
But i would agree its not a stream. :)

Kame
26-01-06, 02:28
As long as rules are enforced with intelligence and discernement (i think this is how you writte it) this is OK.

But this could be "Ex"able, like how you can easily take somthing out of context by screenshoting and then sending it in ...

The ball basically is in the GM's camp.

darkservent
26-01-06, 16:35
About time there monitored, Ive seen and screenshotted some racial remarks that really pissed me off (dunno if my bro sent em in or what). This was during the 2.1 trial period.

MrChumble
31-01-06, 01:12
Can NC still be NC without the random abuse and flames from people ya don't even know?

I'm actually kinda semi serious. The atmosphere in NC (smouldering teen angst meets the last days of the Apocalyse) is unique. I'm not sure I want people to be nice to me.
Sorry there old chap, didn't mean to kill you 4 v 1, blow up your hovertec - oh sorry, a month to save for it, your pride and joy, terribly sorry - and zerg your only outpost. How inconsiderate of me!
Doesn't work. I like to be flamed so hot I can roast 'mallows on my monitor.

giga191
31-01-06, 11:04
[ edited ]

Anyway, why not just insta temp ban the abusers? Chances are that they will carry on otherwise and you probably won't be on to catch them

Nidhogg
31-01-06, 11:27
Anyway, why not just insta temp ban the abusers?
Check my first post again. Action can and will be taken up to and including a temp ban.

N

giga191
31-01-06, 11:30
it says that you will ban continued abusers, where as i meant that you should ban them on the first offence

Nidhogg
31-01-06, 12:07
it says that you will ban continued abusers, where as i meant that you should ban them on the first offence
We won't be banning people on their first offence. Even I'm not that heartless. Well, maybe sometimes...

N

l8m0n
31-01-06, 13:50
lol @ nid

giga191
31-01-06, 14:20
with the amount of shit that some people do in this game that KK never take action against, i would rather that people were just banned on the first case of abusing the roc because the chances are that they won't get caught again

Richard Slade
31-01-06, 21:57
We can still swear, right?

Dogface
01-02-06, 02:07
its what makes NC what it is, this is all because of all the little kids who play now and it BS tbh

So people should just have to put up with racism and such other comments if kids didn't play?

Paper Dragon
01-02-06, 02:11
So people should just have to put up with racism and such other comments if kids didn't play?

Remember, it isn't a "gritty world" if people can't get away with acting like complete twats. :rolleyes:

I welcome the policy; I just hope it's enforced appropiately.

Dogface
01-02-06, 02:18
I guess you're right, but still I don't believe people should have to put up with racism/homophobia etc etc just because its part of the games theme (or use it as an excuse to use such behaviour). I
If people see it necessary to complain, action should be taken against racists.

Paper Dragon
01-02-06, 02:24
I guess you're right, but still I don't believe people should have to put up with racism/homophobia etc etc just because its part of the games theme (or use it as an excuse to use such behaviour). I
If people see it necessary to complain, action should be taken against racists.

Sweety, sarcasm. :p

Dogface
01-02-06, 02:30
Oh it's like that is it :D

MrChumble
01-02-06, 21:28
We can still swear, right?

I guess the distinction is over whether you're swearing, or swearing at someone, and perhaps whether you're swearing at someone in an appropriate way or an inappropriate way.

Like a private 'fu' when someone ganks your noob is a little different to a sustained campaign of abuse over public chat channels.

If someone finds where the line between the two is drawn, please let us all know. I've used up 8 of my 9 lives already so can't go and experiment ;)

l8m0n
03-02-06, 16:38
tbh eather stop it alltogether or leave it, you cant stop it a little bit cos will never work. Put filters in or dont, dont have the BS warning crap cos unless you put in a filter in that makes it so i cant im going to keep on doing it, im not racist so i dont see why i cant call someone a twat becuase they have done something that has pissed me off.

If you going to do something filter a few words not give warnings and bans for someone gettin pissed off and usein bad language :rolleyes:

Destino
03-02-06, 17:45
...im not racist so i dont see why i cant call someone a twat becuase they have done something that has pissed me off.

Hmm.... may be cause rules says you can't? :rolleyes:

l8m0n
03-02-06, 17:54
Doesnt say i cant call someone a twat ;)

Destino
03-02-06, 18:11
I think rules on chat abuse are ment to change (or at least try it) the behavior that many ppl on nc has lately (well, lately... it's since nc1...).
Of course, i think you don't need every single "bad word" being specified in the rules, just follow em trying not to offend ppl or harrass, etc. It's up to you (and mods of course ;) ) to moderate yourself having rules in mind.
But of course that is only my understanding of the rules. The point is'nt mine but mod's understanding :p

Paper Dragon
03-02-06, 19:08
Doesnt say i cant call someone a twat ;)

Hmm?

You may not use any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable language toward any other player. The same exceptions and regulations as for rule #2 apply.

Don't bother trying to argue semantics; you're already beat.

l8m0n
03-02-06, 21:40
o'rly (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=85619&dict=CALD)
so how is me calling some stupid breaking this

You may not use any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable language toward any other player. :lol:

RogerRamjet
03-02-06, 22:05
o'rly (http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=85619&dict=CALD)
so how is me calling some stupid breaking this
:lol:

You called them a twat. Im sure that comes under "vulgar".