PDA

View Full Version : HP Fluctuation, why?

onero S
23-01-06, 04:02
I have always noticed the hp system in this game seems very.....unstable compared to most health systems. Anyone have any explination for this?

by unstable I mean somtimes dmg is insta healed back to full, you can live at 0 hp, somtimes it seems you loose hp slower than at other times even when being hit by the same atacks.

ZoVoS
23-01-06, 04:03
damage is applied before the servers apply resists... this causes ur hp to shoot back up when resists are taken into account

*-*EDIT*-*

afaik

onero S
23-01-06, 04:04
I really don't like the system tbh, it makes dmg seem sort of un real if you know what I mean

ZoVoS
23-01-06, 04:11
I really don't like the system tbh, it makes dmg seem sort of un real if you know what I mean

its been like that for as long as i can remember =\

hp bouncing was in nc1... atleast im pritty sure of that =\ i know my memory is patch from far to much drink amonks other things... but everybody i know has got use to hp bouncing... u should try throwing a psi sheild into the mix

heals actualy damage you then totaly mess u up until u relog

Mr Kot
23-01-06, 04:14
Damage is calculated serverside. Death is serverside.

Anyone remember when death in early NC1 was clientside? Ouch.

rob444
23-01-06, 08:55
Anyone remember when death in early NC1 was clientside? Ouch.

Self-rezzing tanks, w00t :lol:

-FN-
23-01-06, 08:58
- Fixed Health Bounce bug when taking damage. (The infamous Yo-Yo bug, most noticable with fall damage.)
You must be mistaken, that bug was fixed (http://nc.synergyxr.net/info/patches/patchnote.php?id=97) :rolleyes:

onero S
23-01-06, 17:55
You must be mistaken, that bug was fixed (http://nc.synergyxr.net/info/patches/patchnote.php?id=97) :rolleyes:

lol if thats the kind of fix we're looking forward to for other things then I can't waight...... the issue definitly is not "fixed"

unreal
23-01-06, 18:02
Krupp Factory: The plant is no longer a recreation unit.
Electric Vibes Club: Some tables in the area are no longer chairs.
Bum Asylum: The plants are no longer 500nc access fee interfaces.
K_10: The barrels are no longer chairs.
K_14: The fence "explosive barrel"removed.
D_09: floating chair now has its 4 feet on the ground.ROFL. Gotta love patch notes. Always something to laugh at.
Fixed damage ratio check for PvP combat. Players can now do up to 15%
damage to another player without recieving a SL/FS hit. This should
help with things like a single accidental hit against a teammate. This
may solve the LE'd runners recieving the hit aswell.When hitting someone who's in your team, you won't lose symp/SL when they die anyway.
Fixed Health Bounce bug when taking damage.Definitely not fixed.

Zeninja
23-01-06, 18:18
by unstable I mean somtimes dmg is insta healed back to full, you can live at 0 hp, somtimes it seems you loose hp slower than at other times even when being hit by the same atacks.
Two things you may have to know :

- you take less damage from the same weapon when your health is low (starting at approx -50% health). Try it with a Silent Hunter for significant results.

- you usually (seems not to be systematic, or bugged) get better healing from a spell when your health is low (less points per tick). Try healing yourself at nearly full health, and you'll notice how low is your regen (sometimes only 2-3 per tick using a capped TL10 heal).

About insta heal more precisely, I suppose you can experience this when you took damage client side whereas server considered you as covered by someone/something then canceled damages.

onero S
23-01-06, 18:23
Two things you may have to know :

- you take less damage from the same weapon when your health is low (starting at approx -50% health). Try it with a Silent Hunter for significant results.

- you usually (seems not to be systematic, or bugged) get better healing from a spell when your health is low (less points per tick). Try healing yourself at nearly full health, and you'll notice how low is your regen (sometimes only 2-3 per tick using a capped TL10 heal).

About insta heal more precisely, I suppose you can experience this when you took damage client side whereas server considered you as covered by someone/something then canceled damages.

the effect of this is to make killing somone feel like the game is trying to keep them alive

Zeninja
23-01-06, 18:30
like the game is trying to keep them alive
Or like adrenaline is

Scaramanga
23-01-06, 19:44
The nearest thing i can think of that I have experienced to this health bouncing was a long while ago whilst levelling my tank. He'd have mid health then it would drop without being hit then go back up again. I'd register damage from a non existent mob then die.

I submitted a help ticket about this and got a reply that went something along the lines of it being lag.
I had taken the damage server side but that damaged hadnt reached my client yet. I was advised to keep my HP near top as it would help counter the lag health bounce problem, (which works).

kurai
23-01-06, 20:34
Lag and/or packetloss.

Sometimes the client will simply not get/register the notification that a mob has spawned near you.

I get this very occasionally around Cycrow and MB.

Consequently you unwittingly wander within aggro range, and get followed around by an invisible mob firing invisible shots at you. Sometimes others near you can see it, sometimes it's invisible to all. Zoning/re-logging generally forces a full update, and it then appears.

It's most irritating with Warbots or Terrormaulers that have a parashock effect. Trying to crawl away at a snails pace with no idea if you are heading towards or away from the mob is ... interesting :wtf:

Rabiator
23-01-06, 21:16
damage is applied before the servers apply resists... this causes ur hp to shoot back up when resists are taken into account

*-*EDIT*-*

afaikInteresting theory, but it can't be that hard to duplicate that code on the client. That way, things would be in sync most of the time because the client would "predict" the damage correctly.
And if it failed once per 5-10 minutes (bringing the yo-yo back), I think people would forgive KK for that little inaccuracy.

rob444
23-01-06, 21:24
I thought resists were calculated clientside as well? afaik healthjumping exists because client and server couldn't agree on wether the mob hit you or not. Might be an object in the way serverside but infact, the barrel is far to the left thus the mob could hit you on your screen but server says there was a barrel in the way and your health jumps back, because we all know, server > you. This also explains why you can lose health behind objects and hills even if the mobs could in no way hit you clientside.

Rabiator
23-01-06, 21:42
That alone does not explain it, because I also had the health yo-yo in situations without obstacles between the mob and me. Most clearly, it showed up in the "hunt the elves" event a few weeks ago.
I got there with my mid-level PPU and tried to "tank" a high lvl elf chick. No obstacles between me and the elf, no heavy maneuvring to evade shots. My health went up and down a few times like crazy, then it was over.

rob444
24-01-06, 08:52
Did you crouch/run around like a maniac?

Bugs Gunny
24-01-06, 10:01
1. Psi shield. Well, no resists are applied to the dammage taken so one HL will clear all your mana. Tried it in duels, it does NOT work well.

2. Less dammage when near dead, only aplies to certain weapons, like judge and cs, and is related to where you shoot at his body.

3. Slower heal when almost back to health. Try this: Shoot someone's head, chest and legs, let him heal. Then shoot only his head three times and let him heal. You'll notice what's going on.

4. Health bouncing back to full. When you get hit for massive dammage, way beyond death, the server counts that as an error and it will jump all back.
Best way to test this is take a doy carrier, put some people in there, a few o/2's a midlevel char with about 200 health and a capped char. All jump out at max altitude. The mid level char probably dies. The others get full health back after 1-2 secs.

5. Jojo effect. Seems to do it more with force based weapons.

6.Server trying to keep low health people alive in pvp, try doing all headshots.

Kame
24-01-06, 10:19
I find for pvp, non-locational damage weapons work out best to finish ppl up (like RAV, Healing Light) then the locational one (CS,Judge)

SorkZmok
24-01-06, 11:38
I find for pvp, non-locational damage weapons work out best to finish ppl up (like RAV, Healing Light) then the locational one (CS,Judge)Yep. Because those don't do locational damage, they always hit for the same amount, regardless of health. With a low health target it might take you another clip from a CS to finally finish him where 2 bursts from a ravager would do the same.

Weird.

ZoVoS
24-01-06, 12:25
Weird.

na not realy.. if u use a cs to blow sumbodys arm of theres no poin keep shooting it if its been blown off. where as if u use a weapon to atack teh whole person at the same time then it would be more effective

=\ if u get my logic lol :angel:

onero S
24-01-06, 18:41
na not realy.. if u use a cs to blow sumbodys arm of theres no poin keep shooting it if its been blown off. where as if u use a weapon to atack teh whole person at the same time then it would be more effective

=\ if u get my logic lol :angel:

but if you're shooting somone in the head, it should not become less effective as their head takes a beating

Bugs Gunny
24-01-06, 20:04
Not realy there's a lot of people that pvp without their heads :angel:

ZoVoS
25-01-06, 05:37
Not realy there's a lot of people that pvp without their heads :angel:

if sumbody is a good aim im always pvping withough a head... although i prefere fighting my enemys withough legs ;) (cs blasts to the legs :angel: )

im a tank my brains are in my ball's/muscles anyway

Apocalypsox
25-01-06, 06:10
its called LAG.

Koshinn
25-01-06, 08:35
Fixed damage ratio check for PvP combat. Players can now do up to 15%
damage to another player without recieving a SL/FS hit. This should
help with things like a single accidental hit against a teammate. This
may solve the LE'd runners recieving the hit aswell.
I never liked that patch note. It allows PPUs to parashock people without SL loss, unlike before. Lame, tbh.

Bugs Gunny
25-01-06, 09:39
Yeah, that was from when people would be fighting off invasions comming out of pro city hq genreps. Aoe or stray shots made defenders go red sl all the time.

A bit obsolete and it was one of those days where ppus rejoiced.