PDA

View Full Version : Vehicles & FPS

unreal
22-01-06, 16:11
I recently deleted my capped PE and remade him again (as a her... boobies.. and no fat lip!) to level up to WoC dex 1 without being ganked in levelling spots (less hassle with LE in). So I think "ooh, I know, I'll do what I did last time, and have fun with some combat vehicles"... so just now I go to my ASG and spawn a hovertec which I haven't drove in a long time, only to find that the smoke/stuff coming out of the back completely shags my FPS, so I have to do the NC --> TH --> MB drive on my quad instead. This obviously nerfs my plan of using the combat hovertec to begin with. I seriously hope speccing the HC/VHC to use the Scorpion Trike won't be the same.

I mentioned this on HELP and it seems lots of people have the same problems with FPS thanks to the smoke added in one of the recent patches. The only thing that was suggested is switching to the DirectX 7 driver, which isn't really an option to me, since it screws my FPS twice as bad when not even on a vehicle to begin with.

PS. Apart from the screwy FPS on vehicles these days, there should be some serious thought in revamping the vehicles. Most people don't want to pay a lot of cash to repair vehicles like the hovertec and such when travelling with them, let alone having to buy another one if it gets blown up. This is why the only vehicles used by non LE'd runners are Quads, Revelers, and the odd Scorpion Trike by someone in a sector that isn't too busy. Then there's the Rhino, but most of the time the driver is LE'd, so the non LE'd driver can get out just before the Rhino is destroyed.

I think a nice way to resolve this is to make all vehicles return to the depot after they're destroyed, so they can be repaired, but obviously some vehicles will cost more than others. The epic/quest vehicles being the least expensive to repair, whereas things like Hovertecs could cost half (or more) of what they do to repair from full at the moment. Until something like this happens the vehicles won't really get used that often, there's simply no point. It's too expensive unless you happen to *evil E word here* mc5 and just rack up a load of SA/DS's to sell, or *evil E word here* in various caves to get lots of cash with no hassle at all.

One nice feature might be to have vehicle keys with 'lives' (so to speak). Like the way you have stamina boosters 2's that can be used 4 times, you could have a vehicle key that respawns at the ASG after being destroyed n times. This combined with what I said above sure would make me feel like using such vehicles again, it would be more interesting than "oh, I hear a quad again, I wonder who that is"... instead it would be "oh my frigging god, did I hear a hovertec just then? I wonder which wealthy person is driving that.. KILL KILL!"

awkward silence
22-01-06, 18:23
You won't level dex well with vechicular leveling. My HC PE is with 100mill overcap STR (terra) with 70ish dex.

Vechs need a complete redo. ATM a rhino is crappy agaist ANYONE with a PPU. Oh... what if the rhino is fine but the ...ehm is err overpovered?

Apocalypsox
22-01-06, 18:44
the smoke from the Hovertec doesnt lag me, its when i ride the hovertec through this new grass shit thats in alot of zones that i get fucked over, even though i REALLY dont mine gettting fucked over for the pretty new models.

Heavyporker
22-01-06, 19:50
1: You *can* get WoC levels with vehicular leveling, thank you very much.

2: Rhinos *should* do rather more damage against players, because we're talking Main Battle Tank. I have difficulty believing that a CS can do more damage than a billion-volt particle beam cannon powered by a fusion reactor the size of a volkswagen.

3: Hovertech bikes aren't that expensive to get, nor to repair!

4: All vecs be like Reveller/Quad?! FUCK NO. Only special vehicles should benon-destroyable. Normal vehicles should be "If it blows up, its gone!"

unreal
23-01-06, 11:12
You won't level dex well with vechicular leveling. My HC PE is with 100mill overcap STR (terra) with 70ish dex.I said "having fun", not "getting as much dex as I can in a short amount of time".

unreal
23-01-06, 11:14
the smoke from the Hovertec doesnt lag me, its when i ride the hovertec through this new grass shit thats in alot of zones that i get fucked over, even though i REALLY dont mine gettting fucked over for the pretty new models.On other vehicles such as the Quad where there's minimal smoke, my FPS is fine, getting an average of 76 or so. When I jump on a vehicle with lots of smoke, like the Hovertec, it goes down to about 60ish, but the thing that makes it bad is the fact the smoke causes the screen to lag/jump about. Vegetation is fine pretty much wherever I am, except for the Desert Racetrack where it does naff my FPS quite a bit.

RogerRamjet
23-01-06, 12:00
Ohnoez your FPS drops to 60 :lol:

Come one dude :p

unreal
23-01-06, 17:36
Ohnoez your FPS drops to 60 :lol: Come one dude :pI guess you forgot to read the second half of my sentence.
When I jump on a vehicle with lots of smoke, like the Hovertec, it goes down to about 60ish, but the thing that makes it bad is the fact the smoke causes the screen to lag/jump aboutIf THAT is happening it's pretty un-fucking-usable, and even more annoying. "ohnoez" my arse.

RogerRamjet
23-01-06, 18:15
How does your screen "lag" if its at 60 FPS? Surely it would drop to something significantly lower to do that?

Tauan
24-01-06, 06:13
...I want a epic glider....people like to shoot me outta the sky

Kame
24-01-06, 07:06
I have difficulty believing that a CS can do more damage than a billion-volt particle beam cannon powered by a fusion reactor the size of a volkswagen.

:lol: :lol: