PDA

View Full Version : gm nukes =] "just a bit o fun"

ZoVoS
20-01-06, 09:10
as nukes have been tested in the storyline. gm events should be held where uranium is beeing transported accross the map via a gm in a apc with the help of the city mercs. whom are provided 8 rhynos and 2 gliders (seating not keys) (with the option of bringing there own)

the time fraim is between a 30 min gap and either side can try to take out the gm. as the gm owns all the vhc's he can jump out and damage boost you then hl you with his uber tank resists. cast a heal then get in a any vhc to stay alive ;)

if the gm dies he drops uranium that can then be used by the owner to nuke an op/area of land ( a gm runs in and creates a HUGE aoe xray barrel around the area for 10 mins ). this would be fun to place outside the chaos caves or something ;)

or can be sold back to the gm for his assistance in a single op fight. until he dies once (oh kinda like a jedi in battlefront 2 wooo)

just a nice lil event and a bit o a laugh

Logan_storm_03
20-01-06, 12:10
now that would be fun!

Skusty
20-01-06, 12:46
Aye! *puts on reflective armor on tank* humtidum... :p

Koshinn
20-01-06, 12:48
Well you need more than uranium to make a Nuke. You need a specific type of Uranium that's extremely rare, and you need a way of detonating it. It's not that hard, but it's still more than just uranium.

Also, it wouldn't just be an xray barrel that the nuke creates. It'd also create a ball of fire that would incinerate EVERYTHING it touched. So first it'd do a blast with the order of 10,000,000 fire damage, then it'd create a gigantic force blast that gradually died down over time (the shockwave), say 1,000,000 damage near the source and covering the zone and all adjacent zones (assuming a tactical nuke). Then, after everything's dead, create a huge xray barrel that lasts 50 years of in-game time.

Bugs Gunny
20-01-06, 13:05
I know just the place where to put it :angel:

Matthew.v.smith
20-01-06, 13:10
Well you need more than uranium to make a Nuke. You need a specific type of Uranium that's extremely rare, and you need a way of detonating it. It's not that hard, but it's still more than just uranium.

Also, it wouldn't just be an xray barrel that the nuke creates. It'd also create a ball of fire that would incinerate EVERYTHING it touched. So first it'd do a blast with the order of 10,000,000 fire damage, then it'd create a gigantic force blast that gradually died down over time (the shockwave), say 1,000,000 damage near the source and covering the zone and all adjacent zones (assuming a tactical nuke). Then, after everything's dead, create a huge xray barrel that lasts 50 years of in-game time.

Nice Ego massage, how about look at it from an in-game point of view, not a real life one :|
Gawd.

RogerRamjet
20-01-06, 13:11

lol, its just a game, no need to be so realistic :p

Skusty
20-01-06, 13:21
I know just the place where to put it :angel:
In my basement. :p

Bugs Gunny
20-01-06, 14:11
Nah, detonate it at mc5, massive xraybarrel lasting 50 years. It would make the price of mc5 chips skyrocket :-)

Skusty
20-01-06, 14:50
Nah, detonate it at mc5, massive xraybarrel lasting 50 years. It would make the price of mc5 chips skyrocket :-)
So spies can walk in unharmed? :angel:

sl33py
20-01-06, 15:56
Nice dream Zovos :D

cRazy-
20-01-06, 17:10

It doesnt need a specific type of Uranium. Nuclear devices need pure Uranium 235 Isotope to create a Fission reaction. All you need to detonate it is a Uranium-235 bullet projectile and a Blast cap, this is very basic of course.

Oh yeah I know a lot about Nuclear weapons and fission, I took a sub-course on it at University.

Dogface
20-01-06, 17:58
It doesnt need a specific type of Uranium. Nuclear devices need pure Uranium 235 Isotope to create a Fission reaction. All you need to detonate it is a Uranium-235 bullet projectile and a Blast cap, this is very basic of course.

Oh yeah I know a lot about Nuclear weapons and fission, I took a sub-course on it at University.

Excellent, you just knocked Mr. I 'know-it-all' right out of the sky, thank you :p

Perfect !

Excellent idea, shame I'll never see it if it happened :lol:
Neptune FTL ! (I hardly play anyway :wtf: )

Apocalypsox
20-01-06, 18:08
shit...Shit...SHIT... *searches cabinets for spy ABC suit*

HAH!

lol if all you need is a uranium 235 why dont we have a mininuke HC weapon? :lol:

cRazy-
20-01-06, 18:19
Because out of 10 tonnes of Uranium ore only 20kg is pure Uranium which is usable in Nuclear devices.

Marx
20-01-06, 18:56

I didn't know they made bullet projectiles out of U-235.

Depleted uranium maybe.

edit - It would also take more than a blastcap seeing as the pressure required has to be constant and from all sides.

Nidhogg
20-01-06, 19:27
Nuclear devices need pure Uranium 235 Isotope to create a Fission reaction.
This is not true. Setting aside the fact that plutonium is also fissile there's also the fact that although naval reactors do use pure U-235 (so called bomb or weapons grade uranium), many civilian reactors use natural uranium which is 95% non-fissile U-238. That doesn't stop them producing a fission reaction. I think what Koshinn was trying to say was that a weapon cannot be made with natural uranium, it needs to be pure U-235.

N

/edit - also, in order for the reactor to become critical you need a moderator. ;)

Paper Dragon
20-01-06, 19:30
Nid, is there anything we can get up over you on this forum? :p

Koshinn
20-01-06, 20:18
Nice Ego massage, how about look at it from an in-game point of view, not a real life one :|
Gawd.
How is it an ego massage? I was pointing out a bit of realism. And I was looking at it with an in-game point of view. Notice the entire 2nd paragraph that deals with... in-game. OMG. :rolleyes: I think it'd be fun to see a mushroom cloud in the distance (like 10 zones away), then going over to investigate and taking x-ray damage and noticing that everything is dead.

This is not true. Setting aside the fact that plutonium is also fissile there's also the fact that although naval reactors do use pure U-235 (so called bomb or weapons grade uranium), many civilian reactors use natural uranium which is 95% non-fissile U-238. That doesn't stop them producing a fission reaction. I think what Koshinn was trying to say was that a weapon cannot be made with natural uranium, it needs to be pure U-235.

N

Ya, thanks.

I didn't know they made bullet projectiles out of U-235.

Depleted uranium maybe.

edit - It would also take more than a blastcap seeing as the pressure required has to be constant and from all sides.
That's not what he meant. He was saying that the first Uranium nuclear weapons basically shot a "bullet" of U-235 at a larger chunk of U-235 to achieve critical mass. But you're right, they do use depleted uranium (which is U-238 actually) as armor piercing ammunition. That's probably what we're all firing out of our tsu rifles and speed gats right now.

mdares
20-01-06, 21:13

N

/edit - also, in order for the reactor to become critical you need a moderator. ;)

gg nid

but u missed something...

the bulk of the destruction from a nuclear device actually comes from the force generated BEFORE the actual fire and bang taht we have all come to see and love a bout the nuclear culture. OFcourse tbh thesedays its force > emp > fire > radiation poisoning altho back in the days there wasnt much for the emp to mess up so it didnt do much.

furthermore in terms of the materials all you need is to create a highly exothermic runaway reaction which enough base energy substrate to prolong it enough to make a huge difference; theres no "need" to use ONLY uranium as with enough processing you can make it out of many other materials (i'd tell you which but then i'd have to kill ya...).

so if we're doing a event with it, it'll have to be 1000000 force dmg followed by 500000 energy dmg then 400000 fire dmg and lastly a 1000000 total xray por stack that lasts 75 years in the contanminanted region.

ZoVoS
20-01-06, 21:13

i could make a nuke in my back garden if i wanted (trust me i could... i would probably suffer radiation sickness but if i was planning to detonate it. it woudlnt realy matter, purifing uranium is childs play if u dont need to make it safe) :wtf: its realy not hard. and detonating it would also be easy, a few blaster caps to make teh uranium reach critical mass buy fussing it together... and i am awate of what a nuke would be in real life... but this is a game. its about having fun. not about being realistic

besides you can buy 20% pure uranium for teaching purposes and enrich it your self =]

but there are other ways of making weaponry out of uranium that would leave a devistating small area explotion...

all that i posted was an idea to mix the game up a bit and have some fun

you either get a bomb at the end of it. or a gm to fight to the death with his 255 resist's uber HL and self buffed shelters and so on

Koshinn
20-01-06, 21:21
i could make a nuke in my back garden if i wanted :wtf: its realy not hard. and detonating it would also be easy... and i am awate of what a nuke would be in real life... but this is a game. its about having fun. not about being realistic
Anyone can make a nuke in their back garden tbh. Making the nuke itself is the easy part, as all the work's already been done and the process is so simple that a 10 yr old could do it (if a 10 yr old could lift that much uranium). The main problem that's stopping everyone in the world from having it is the weapons-grade material required. And in the storyline, would the creation of nuclear weapons be included inthe ceres discs and/or would Reza allow that information into the public? They barely know how to use and work an AK-47...

besides you can buy 20% pure uranium for teaching purposes and enrich it your self =]

America spent like a bajillion dollars in WW2 enriching Uranium. You'd need a lot of 20% u-235 material to make a 95% u-235 bomb that can achieve critical mass. So yeah you could, you'd just need ungodly ammounts of money , time, power and luck so you won't get discovered.

you either get a bomb at the end of it. or a gm to fight to the death with his 255 resist's uber HL and self buffed shelters and so on

GMs need to NF more to get better. Seriously, IIRC, they aren't that good at fighting (they work at a desk all day long.. the help desk!). They're just overpowered tbh.

ZoVoS
20-01-06, 21:26
Anyone can make a nuke in their back garden tbh. Making the nuke itself is the easy part, as all the work's already been done and the process is so simple that a 10 yr old could do it (if a 10 yr old could lift that much uranium). The main problem that's stopping everyone in the world from having it is the weapons-grade material required. And in the storyline, would the creation of nuclear weapons be included inthe ceres discs and/or would Reza allow that information into the public? They barely know how to use and work an AK-47...

the ak-47 would be useless. it was a modified ak with special ammo

nuke tech was stolen by FA (if i remember my story right) im sure it would have slipped out to all fractions eventualy =\ besides if we have the current tech to make plasma and fussion bassed weaponry. thenm bombs should be no problem. they could just create an overload'ed fussion reactor

btw my idea was stealing weapons grade uranium on transport... do you realy think they would use 8 rhyno's to guard un pure ore... hell =] us govenment dont use that kinda protection for there purified stuf ;)

(XX lb of pure uranium going missing lol)

EDIT -=- and that was the point about the gms assistance... taking one down would be hard while ur clan was fighting together with the gms help. probably it would be first priority to anti buff then kill him because the fact he capps both damage/hp and is an effective ppu for the team =\

cRazy-
20-01-06, 21:46

N

Im just talking about Nuclear weapon devices, maybe Fission reaction is too much of a broad term for what I was trying to say.

Dogface
20-01-06, 22:27
Is this the equivalent of a rap battle between wanna-be scientists..?

Keep going. Don't mind me :D

Tauan
22-01-06, 03:31
OR....they could just give you one of WHATEVER blew in the middle of DoY...some sort of bomb in the middle of DOY if memory serves me right ;O

Skusty
22-01-06, 11:24
We have uranium here in rl but we cannot mine or how to get it out, its against the law. Arch. :(

cRazy-
22-01-06, 17:40
i could make a nuke in my back garden if i wanted (trust me i could... i would probably suffer radiation sickness but if i was planning to detonate it. it woudlnt realy matter, purifing uranium is childs play if u dont need to make it safe) :wtf: its realy not hard. and detonating it would also be easy, a few blaster caps to make teh uranium reach critical mass buy fussing it together... and i am awate of what a nuke would be in real life... but this is a game. its about having fun. not about being realistic

but there are other ways of making weaponry out of uranium that would leave a devistating small area explotion...

LOL hahahahaha Zovos, you couldnt make a nuclear weapon, none of you could, some of it requires calculations to 10 decimal places. This kind of stuff requires Nuclear scientists.

Do you know how much Uranium you need to use? Do you know what kind of high velocity and low velocity explosives you need for the Lens' system? Did you know the blast Lens' have to be to extremely precise tolerances? Oh and the lens' caps around the Uranium have to be fitted together with an accuracy of 0.5mm.

More to the point, do you even know how fission works?

CMaster
22-01-06, 17:43
More to the point, do you even know how fusion works?

I think zovos was talking about making a basic, U-235 fisson explosive device. In principal you can make a basic one of those very simply, and in fact if you put enough U-235 together and leave it, it will probably explode eventually anyway. Sure, you couldnt guarantee a homemade device detonating and it would certainly lack the efficany and firepower of more preciesly built devices, and certainly than fusion weapons (the H-bomb) but it would make a nice big BOOM.

cRazy-
22-01-06, 17:50
Trust me, if you had a lump of Uranium, you could not blow it up, its like trying to blow up a slab of concrete, it only becomes fissionable and volatile when the correct situation is applied to very precise calculations.

Nidhogg
22-01-06, 20:49
Just think of Occam's Razor. If it was so easy to do, why isn't every terrorist organisation, screwed up school kid and disgruntled postman nuking the shit out of everyone? ;) The logical conclusion is that it isn't so easy to do.

N

ZoVoS
22-01-06, 21:27
if u dump enough 20% uranium in acid in one go, as the impuritys are striped away it will explode anyway =\ its just in its gassious form tis of no use to anybody...

making a bomb is EASY

the trouble is making a bomb that wont kill you before you detonate it... or making a bomb that is stable enough to threten people n not just blow you and half ur naubourhood up isnt

people have an inbuilt will to survive... so nobody wants to make a bomb in there back garden incase they die before its finished, and nobody trusts anybody enough to tell them what they are doing...

just because making a bomb in ones back garden is posible. doesent mean u wont die by the time/before its compleated

making the bomb is easy. making it safe... well that isnt easy

RogerRamjet
22-01-06, 21:52
rofl, making a bomb safe.

The irony.

ZoVoS
22-01-06, 21:57
rofl, making a bomb safe.

The irony.
*scratches head* i know =] funny init

l8m0n
22-01-06, 22:49
Just think of Occam's Razor. If it was so easy to do, why isn't every terrorist organisation, screwed up school kid and disgruntled postman nuking the shit out of everyone? ;) The logical conclusion is that it isn't so easy to do.

N

lol www.Buildyourownnuke.com (http://www.orlyowls.com/owls/old/potter.gif)

cRazy-
23-01-06, 07:11
if u dump enough 20% uranium in acid in one go, as the impuritys are striped away it will explode anyway =\ its just in its gassious form tis of no use to anybody...

making a bomb is EASY

the trouble is making a bomb that wont kill you before you detonate it... or making a bomb that is stable enough to threten people n not just blow you and half ur naubourhood up isnt

people have an inbuilt will to survive... so nobody wants to make a bomb in there back garden incase they die before its finished, and nobody trusts anybody enough to tell them what they are doing...

just because making a bomb in ones back garden is posible. doesent mean u wont die by the time/before its compleated

making the bomb is easy. making it safe... well that isnt easy

ZoVos, if your talking about a nuclear bomb still im gonna stab you for being so dumb, you couldnt even come close to making fissionable material detonate, trust me 100% on this, its not 'easy'.

Koshinn
23-01-06, 10:02

N

Occam's razor is basically, given two options, choose the simpler one. That doesn't make it correct, however. The truth is that it is easy to do. Obtaining the materials is the hard part.

Well I guess the word "making" can imply different things. Making may mean assembling and using the device. It may also mean getting all the materials, then assembling and using the device. For the first definition, making a bomb is easy. For the second, making is hard.

Zovos, if making enriched Uranium were that easy, every country in the world would have nuclear weapons. It isn't that easy. You know why? U-235 is chemically identical to U-238. Arguably the best method for enriching uranium has to do with a centrifuge. Well, a whole lot of centrifuges. You basically spin UF6 around until the U-238F6 sits ontop of the U-235F6 (the 6 in F6 should be subscript x.x). You scoop it up, combine it with the U-235F6 of the other centrifuges, and do it again, since there's so little of it that you'll undoubtably collect some U-238F6. You keep doing that so you raise the % of U-235. Iraq tried to do this, but were stopped by restricting the technology required, since UF6 is highly corrosive.

There are lots of other ways too, but this is probably the most low-profile method.

And Zovos, your assumption that no one wants to die is.. well.. wrong. Just read the news from time to time. Do you know how much chaos certain groups (who will not be mentioned due to forum rules) could create if they detonated even a small nuclear device in a city such as New York? They wouldn't care if they lived or died. There are countless examples of this.

lol, look what I found: (No, the technique I mentioned above was from memory from a uni class I took, which thankfully happened to be correct.)
http://www.boredshitless.com/nuclear_bomb.html
It's not THAT easy, but... yeah, that's the basics. That's what would have been known towards the beginning of the Manhattan project. The actual execution is a bit more difficult and expensive.

ZoVoS
23-01-06, 11:51
theoreticaly everything i have said is true... making a bomb is piss easy. so is refining so is everything else...

just as many other things are easy which people woudlnt belive...

but if i go of on a huge rant about this were just gona get arguing...

besides if i said that outside of our solar system there lived a giant humanoid creature that devouered worlds... u coudlnt prove me wrong just as i coudlnt prove me right

short of actualy making u a nuke i cant win this argument... im just stating what i was taught. i know the basic chemical reactions required to strip uranium apart. i know how its seperated and how to make it reach critical mass. but its only things i have learned from books and schooling. unles i put it to the test i cant prove it. just as you cant prove its not simple... most of the cost of refining uranium is doing it the "RIGHT" way... but then u can propel a turky through a tv set using hairspray and a dustbin, or fire potatoes out of spagetie jars (i love clarkson)... there cannon's but it doesnt mean its a decent cannon. but its a cannon never the less...

can we please get back on topic.

this idea is to add a bit of variety n spice to the end game. nothing more nothing less... for all i care make them transport a deadly virus or something. it realy doesnt bother me. just make it so that something fun is added to the game

And Zovos, your assumption that no one wants to die is.. well.. wrong. Just read the news from time to time. Do you know how much chaos certain groups (who will not be mentioned due to forum rules) could create if they detonated even a small nuclear device in a city such as New York? They wouldn't care if they lived or died. There are countless examples of this.

what i mean is nobody wants to die for nothing... except emo kids :lol: if your gona make a nuke. u wana make sure u can finish the job or all ur work would be for nothing

RogerRamjet
23-01-06, 11:52
Anyone else frightened that this community has the collective knowledge to build a bomb.

KK, youd better not nerf something the wrong way :p

ZoVoS
23-01-06, 11:57
Anyone else frightened that this community has the collective knowledge to build a bomb.

KK, youd better not nerf something the wrong way :p

hehe

with Winston Smith on the forums im pritty sure we could seige the kk mansion and slaugther anybody going in or out :lol:

Nidhogg
23-01-06, 12:17
You're still ignoring the cold facts. There are people out there who do not give a flying fuck for the safety of their own people, let alone their enemies. There are people out there who would gladly sacrifice themselves for their cause. None of them have produced a nuclear weapon though, despite the handy "do it yourself" websites. Sorry but you're kidding yourselves.

N

ZoVoS
23-01-06, 12:23
You're still ignoring the cold facts. There are people out there who do not give a flying fuck for the safety of their own people, let alone their enemies. There are people out there who would gladly sacrifice themselves for their cause. None of them have produced a nuclear weapon though, despite the handy "do it yourself" websites. Sorry but you're kidding yourselves.

N

:P thats it biach im gona nuke ur ass :lol:

*goes to stock pile university grade uranium*

if i dont post on the fourms for a while... im probably dead due to radiation sickness

(edit) -=- btw i do like the do it ur self website dun think i have seen that before. ^_^ but im sure i could come up with better instructions from a few books =] that looks like "kill your self" your self gide rather than a "do it your self"

RogerRamjet
23-01-06, 14:16
None of them have produced a nuclear weapon though, despite the handy "do it yourself" websites.

N

None of them have never read the NC forums clearly :p

kurai
23-01-06, 14:23
besides if i said that outside of our solar system there lived a giant humanoid creature that devouered worlds... u coudlnt prove me wrong just as i coudlnt prove me rightlol :D

That's just a variation on Bertrand Russell's orbiting teapot argument when talking about the existence of god.

His extension of that idea is that someone trying to use unprovable statements as verification of a dogmatic idea with no evidence should really end up as a psychiatrists problem to deal with ;)

cRazy-
23-01-06, 17:04

N

^ Hes right.

ZoVos you've watched far too many Movies and Television programs, its all a big load of bullshit. Ive taken this course in University, please dont try and argue the fact that you could build a Nuclear bomb, you couldn't, its not easy, even if you had the PARTS and a manual you couldn't do it.

Edit: ZovoS your the guy who said you had 150+ IQ, and now you think you can build a Nuclear device, dont dig yourself a bigger hole then you're already in :/

Koshinn
23-01-06, 18:23

N

Yeah.

As I said, the assembly is easy, if you had all the materials. Refining the uranium is the hard/expensive/timeconsumming /nearlyimpossibleinyourbackyardunlessyourbackyardisthesizeofengland part. And plutonium has its own set of difficulties, chief among which is that to produce plutonium, you need a fission reactor (although it would run on commercially available uranium).

Zeninja
23-01-06, 18:51
Chemical structure of acetylsalicylic acid :

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/95/Acetyl_salicylic_acid_chemical_structure.png/120px-Acetyl_salicylic_acid_chemical_structure.png

kurai
23-01-06, 19:22
Chemical structure of acetylsalicylic acid :

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/95/Acetyl_salicylic_acid_chemical_structure.png/120px-Acetyl_salicylic_acid_chemical_structure.pngAnd ...

Your point is ... ?

jini
23-01-06, 19:23
keep going like this, and you will soon have all agencies (nsa, cia, mi5, James Bond, Jason Bourne, you name it) both in your backyard/and your trail :lol:

ZoVoS
23-01-06, 23:50
Edit: ZovoS your the guy who said you had 150+ IQ, and now you think you can build a Nuclear device, dont dig yourself a bigger hole then you're already in :/

A i have a certificate of mensa to prove that

and

B who do u think builds these nuclear devices??? what can be built by one man ca\n be built by another... i could build a car or a jet engien or anything if i had the right planns... anybody can follow plans to build something. if its doable by human hands its doable by any human hands with the right instructions...

non of this is from tv n movies... this is from being taught by a phisics tutor and haveing enough books to start my own liberary

That's just a variation on Bertrand Russell's orbiting teapot argument when talking about the existence of god.

His extension of that idea is that someone trying to use unprovable statements as verification of a dogmatic idea with no evidence should really end up as a psychiatrists problem to deal with

actualy thats a very good analagy =] were u reminded about it due to the series on relgion the cause of all wars (or whatever its called) that was recently on bbc2?

but in all honesty, nothing is proven until we can prove it for our selfs... how do we know we have traveled to the moon. how do we know it wasnt some elaborate hollywood hoaks? because we were told by people in autority... well we are told god exsists. and gnesh, and jesus... but im sure the christians jews and muslims dont all agree on the matter. even though millions oof them belive it...

as i said. all the basic chemical reactions and processes to purifie uranium can be done in anybodys back garden. ergo anybody could theoretical make a bomb in the back garden... will anybody / can anybody do it in practive... i theorise yes. u theories no... however. i can be proved right. but i can never be proved wrong because time goes on forever( :angel: or does it ;) ). so trust me i have a much better chance of being right that u do.

ok now can we PLEASE GET THE HELL BACK ON TOPIC

if it goes any more of topic nid just close the dam thing... wich will be a pitty because i like the idea to have a lil more variety in events

kurai
24-01-06, 00:15
actualy thats a very good analagy =] were u reminded about it due to the series on relgion the cause of all wars (or whatever its called) that was recently on bbc2?Yeah - Dawkins has paraphrased the same argument in some of his books before, although it was slightly out of context in the TV show ;)

ZoVoS
24-01-06, 00:19
Yeah - Dawkins has paraphrased the same argument in some of his books before, although it was slightly out of context in the TV show ;)

the tv show only wanted to use it to prove god is a stupid argument "his words not mine" =] i agree it was out of context but it made a funny and quite valid argument =] however descusing religion will get this thread closed probably immidiatly lol

anyway back on topic. can anybody se a problem with my ideas.. any way to improve it or any reason its not viable