PDA

View Full Version : Laggy anyone?

Killall
18-01-06, 12:49
Hi, sorry if this has been adressed be4...

When i press alt+f, i see my ping is 45 most of the time. Why do i still see people warp around, going through walls/mountains ect.

This is a CRITICAL issue !! When urr a monk, u point and click and hit, doesnt matter if sume1 goes through walls or warps around ull hit em if u saw the person, even if it was a split second. When u are a weapon user urr fucked.. I get hit by stuff and i see nobody around that could be hitting me, when im like way around the corner. See where im going here? Id bet the half of the people will stop complaing about monks being too strong if they can actually aim em like urr supposed to do. I see people halfway into a zone standing still, i shoot em, "poof" they dissapear.. like im watching pendragon in action :\

If this game is running inside some professional server building shouldnt we be getting WAY more better ping/stability for all? If sume1 has a ping of 200 in Doom 3 or whatever game.. i dont see him go through walls and crapp. Feels like we are playing on KK's desktop pc. We got the same bugz from Saturn moved over to Terra and KK keeps insisting they are using new servers..omg..

This game is pvp orientaded, but ull have to get an aim on people first wich is very hard when people are dissapearing around you!!
Even more funny is, people know this and will go out of they way to envoke this "exploit". Dont have to mention is almost impossible to fight at certain ops cause they have a mountainy area where every1 dissapears into.

Might be a silly question (it isnt normally) but will this ever get better? Server stability and lagg?

giga191
18-01-06, 13:25
if KK made player positions update faster, then you would get a lot higher ping and then other shit will start going terribly wrong. that's my guess at least, maybe it is just KK's bad netcode

Finl
18-01-06, 14:02
the issue where players going to walls and so on is soo deep in netcode that is kinda imposible to fixx with out changing the engine.. :)
engine is overloaded and treshed allready for neocron pretty good. im just wondering why kk aint gonna try convert the engine to someelse engine - it cant be that expensive, or is it?. converting it wont be easy job, but it would be worth of it.

Killall
18-01-06, 14:08
Doom 3 engine would rock :P Huxley any1?

Finl
18-01-06, 14:11
and expensive.

rob444
18-01-06, 16:30
I offer my opengl engine for $1.

Skusty
18-01-06, 17:17
No lag. :rolleyes:

Tratos
18-01-06, 18:53
I think they are trying to improve the netcode though.

I think what we have at the moment is a comprimise between player positioning and "other shit" lol, i remember KK updated the play pos alot and people ran around things and not through them but you had to wait for ages for clickable doors to acknowledge your clicks and everything else took ages.

rob444
18-01-06, 18:55
Hehe, updating positions more frequently will consume a lot more bandwidth :(.

RentonDraines
18-01-06, 19:01
Huxley = ut engine 3 = spooge but it remains to be seen if it's as good as it looks... ...then again, when a game looks that good, does it have to be AS good as it looks? :D

NC has had the same lag since day 1. Some things have improved, but 50/50 bug? sync loop? still there!. Don't expect anything to improve, sorry. I just have a feeling that KK has considered these things acceptable or simply impossible to fix at this point.

rob444
18-01-06, 20:24
Nothing is impossible ;)

j0rz
19-01-06, 02:59
Nothing is impossible ;)

Id like to see a monkey craw out of your butt then :P if its not impossible :D

kurai
19-01-06, 04:28
Another thing to bear in mind is that for the most part, despite superficial appearances, NC is *not* a `true` hitscan based traditional FPS system.

There are also a metric fucktonne of RPG style calculations and database I/O accesses going on for pretty much any action.

Being realistic there is only so much you can do within the limits of serverside processing (each sub-unit of the server farm is fairly modest spec 2U P4 unit) and the contraints of server-client bandwidth.

rob444
19-01-06, 10:41
Id like to see a monkey craw out of your butt then :P if its not impossible :D

Yeah it's possible, I just have to make it crawl in first, will be a pain in the ass (literally).

Terayon
19-01-06, 11:33
Another thing to bear in mind is that for the most part, despite superficial appearances, NC is *not* a `true` hitscan based traditional FPS system.

There are also a metric fucktonne of RPG style calculations and database I/O accesses going on for pretty much any action.

Being realistic there is only so much you can do within the limits of serverside processing (each sub-unit of the server farm is fairly modest spec 2U P4 unit) and the contraints of server-client bandwidth.

Neocron must not be to efficient with it or somthing becouse wow is a typical rpg with over 10x the people on a single server and people dont clip through walls.

Brammers
19-01-06, 12:09
The clipping issue is 2 problems, the first with Netcode and the other with the client collision detection. The biggest problem with sending position updates is bandwidth. The more position updates you send, the higher the chance of the connetion to the servers being saturated to the max.

Case 2 - player appears to run through a hill. If you look closely, he's actually gone from point A to point B in a straight line. What the client hasn't done is taken into account the contour of the hill when moving the other player on the screen.

Case 2 - player cuts though the corner of the building. Again the client has been told that the player has gone from point A to point B, and the client hasn't taken into account the building. You can write a collision detection to make the player go around the wall. However what if you see a player warping though a pillar, when he's actually gone around it, or more importantly which way did he go around the pillar going from point A to point B?

Some things are easy to fix, but some things are hard to fix.

Terayon
19-01-06, 12:19
So wait a minute.

So the server asks for my position and my computer sends it. Then it asks for another position and i send it. Then the server sends my positions to clients and it shows me walking from position one to position two, right?

So then neocron updates positions once every second or two?! I mean if it updated any more often i wouldent see warping as bad as i do now. How can it be so ridiculously terrable? I mean the data is sent as x,y,z coordinates im guessing, so its not exactly a tonne of data.

Teach me!

Brammers
19-01-06, 12:55
So wait a minute.

So the server asks for my position and my computer sends it. Then it asks for another position and i send it.
Not sure which away around, but I think it's more of a case of the client sending position updates on a regular basis, rather than the server asking for the position.

Remember asking for information or sending information takes time and uses up bandwidth, and bandwidth costs money.

Then the server sends my positions to clients and it shows me walking from position one to position two, right?

Yeap

So then neocron updates positions once every second or two?! I mean if it updated any more often i wouldent see warping as bad as i do now. How can it be so ridiculously terrable? I mean the data is sent as x,y,z coordinates im guessing, so its not exactly a tonne of data.

Teach me!
Correct, if you updates more frequently, there would be less warping and less clipping.

X,Y,Z may not appear to be a tonne of data, is isn't. It's becomes tonne of data when you add TCP/UDP headers and have to send it to all the other people in the zone or area.

rob444
19-01-06, 16:06
I mean the data is sent as x,y,z coordinates im guessing, so its not exactly a tonne of data.

Teach me!

Actually, I dont think the netcode sends XYZ (absolute positioning), I think it sends "I'm moving forward, backwards, left etc..." and then the server calculates how far you've moved etc.. This is also because of different security reasons, one I might add, teleporting (you know how WoW ended up).

But I could be wrong :p