PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Windows XP Home Networking

Brammers
18-01-06, 00:24
Ok, my lovely mum has got a new PC. Of course she want's all the files from her old PC transfered.

So ok, I thought I'll connect her up via the VPN, and use VNC to sort each PC out. This works fine I can connect to both PC's, so there isn't a network cable issue or anything like that.

However I want to get Windows Network going so she can connect to her old data. I've shared the drives. (While accept about 10 warnings that this isn't safe etc)

However I cannot get the new PC to connect to the shared drives, it cannot even find the old PC. (I've tried \\IP address \\Name) nothing.

Has anyone got any ideas?

RentonDraines
18-01-06, 00:33
start with the basics.
Does she have a proper ip address? is there an ip conflict?
can you ping the ip?
can that computer ping back?
can you browse to the computer's workgroup using My Network Places?
How are the computers connected, via a hub/switch/router? Or directly?
If they're plugged into eachother, are you using a crossover cable?
hmm, all i can think of without answers to those.

Renton

Mighty Max
18-01-06, 00:34
Is your Guest Account disabled? If the client connects annonymous or with a not known userid it gets the "guest" user assigned that therefor has to be enabled on the targetmachine.

Brammers
18-01-06, 00:41
Does she have a proper ip address? is there an ip conflict? No
can you ping the ip? Yes
can that computer ping back? Yes
can you browse to the computer's workgroup using My Network Places? No
How are the computers connected, via a hub/switch/router? Or directly? Router
If they're plugged into eachother, are you using a crossover cable? No
hmm, all i can think of without answers to those.

Just to be clear it's a Window XP networking issue not a IP Networking issue.

@ Mighty Max - checking...

Brammers
18-01-06, 00:48
Is your Guest Account disabled? If the client connects annonymous or with a not known userid it gets the "guest" user assigned that therefor has to be enabled on the targetmachine.

net user guest says's guest account is enabled. (Checked both PC's)

Mighty Max
18-01-06, 00:53
Ok, what does "net view \\<ip>\" output?

Brammers
18-01-06, 01:11
Grr....got it to work - bloddy Norton Security Centre (Which I thought was plain Norton Antivrus) was set to some insane security mode. Turned it off, and it's fixed. O_o

Thanks for you help guys, just got to find the right settings to make the firewall co-operate with windows networking.

18-01-06, 15:12
and I was just about to say the word 'firewall' as well ;)

ZoVoS
18-01-06, 15:33
just read the i have done it so ill edit this

Dirus
18-01-06, 15:43
Grr....got it to work - bloddy Norton Security Centre (Which I thought was plain Norton Antivrus) was set to some insane security mode. Turned it off, and it's fixed. O_o

Thanks for you help guys, just got to find the right settings to make the firewall co-operate with windows networking.

lol, I had that problem, I found I had to shut down norton for the network to work properly even tho I tried just about every damn setting I could to get it to let the network pass.

Also one thing you'll find is that WinXP will not let you share anything in the "My Documents" folder. If theres anything you want shared in there, you'll have to move it outside that folder.