PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Video files and explorer.exe crashing

Dribble Joy
17-01-06, 02:54
I had problems playing a video type (standard .avi but with a separate subtitle file), and after some enquiring got it to work with the cccp players, but in doing so, in the installation, had to change something about video files are played.

I have now got rid of said player after finding another way to play the afforementioned video, but now Winamp and Realplayer won't run them, I can only get them to work in VLC (the magical thing it is), in addition, after I watch a file, then try to play another, when the realplayer or winamp thing on the side of the explorer window tries to load, explorer crashes. Much annoyance.

Any idea how to fix this?

Conduit
17-01-06, 08:05
Well the first thing you should try is to uninstall, then reinstall winamp & see if that works. As for realplayer... I recommend completely nuking the horrible thing from your system & installing the non-intrusive real alternative (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm). Your PC will thank you for it.

AlphaGremlin
17-01-06, 10:18
As far as I know, RealPlayer and Winamp will simply use DirectShow to play .avi files... does it play in Windows Media Player? It sounds like one of the codecs it's using is bad and causing the crash. If it's VLC, then it will probably be using its own internal codecs so it can stream them, as opposed to the ones Windows provides.
What codecs is the avi file using?
AlphaGremlin