PDA

View Full Version : Lighting stuff

Dribble Joy
16-01-06, 01:00
Lighting with 2.1 was awesome, good that they got the problems from the open beta sorted.

But, it could be better, not from a modeling/dev perspective, but working with the current capabilities ingame.

My mean gripe (if you can call it that) is the generic lighting, not point source, is the majority. Clearly we need a degree of atmospheric lighting, day and night and different weather types or dungeons, but so much of it that should be point source is not.

The sun and moon, which do move, but don't seem to provide directional lighting are the main issues. But also street lighting, apt lighting and other areas.

Why not make unfurnished apts completely dark unless open to the elements (Via and DoY)? PLaceable lights actually providing directional lighting?
Street lights providing lighting when the ambient environmental effects lower to night time.

This could make NC look so much better without changing the engine's basics.

cRazy-
16-01-06, 01:02
I like it how when the sun is setting in the wastlands theres a red/orange ambient lighting which matches the sky, very nice.

ZoVoS
16-01-06, 01:03
u sir get my

***** rating

Tratos
Having no light in neocron except from streetlights and Neon signs would look soo uber!
Being able to place your own working lights would be a really nice feature also.

ZoVoS
Having no light in neocron except from streetlights and Neon signs would look soo uber!
Being able to place your own working lights would be a really nice feature also.

neocron is open to the sky?

Tratos
16-01-06, 01:11
neocron is open to the sky?

Some of it isnt, such as the mall in Plaza 2 and also not alot of light would get in due to the high builds creating massive shadows :p

Heavyporker
16-01-06, 01:37
Oh, fuck, amen! Properly done ambient lighting would just.... Neocron would become #1 in graphics from that alone, simply because that adds SO MUCH ambience.

Neocron City is open to the sky in many place. DoY to a lesser extent.

Yes, Via Rosso level1 apt is my favorite solely because of the sunsets and evening light (that divine golden glow on the walls. so.... PEACEFUL.)

I agree with what parent said. KK, improve lighting!

yavimaya
16-01-06, 02:03

Obviously youve never played a game that was designed like that, or never made a map for a game using lighting in that style.....

Not very nice running around the map in total darkness broken up by the occasional light.... or even to have 1/5th of the map in total darkness is bad, doesnt look good and makes it hard to play....

Actually come to think about it, in some sectors around NC with default brightness/gamma settings, This is one game that has that bad lighting design.

Mr Kot
16-01-06, 03:06
Good idea. Depends on the limitations of the engine though.

The lighting effect i find most quirky is the way the sunlight forms beams through the windows / cracked roof of the dusty crahn church. It's like the sun is shining in three different directions at once.

unreal
16-01-06, 06:48
It also depends on the limited intelligence of Reakktor's 3 year old programming team. There's obviously less of a limitation with the graphics department, but I would think they're just rather lazy considering the speed they get things done at. Most things are scimped and such, or just an old thing tweaked a bit... add something new and interesting damnit.

Apocalypsox
16-01-06, 07:13
God damnit Drib i have to change my pants now.

********** stars. :lol:

Bugs Gunny
16-01-06, 08:20
Currentmy the game is dark enough as it is, i have problems in some areas where i realy can't see fuck all.

ZoVoS
16-01-06, 08:49
Currentmy the game is dark enough as it is, i have problems in some areas where i realy can't see fuck all.

flashlight mods and gammer corection graphic cards ftw

( or leave it dark and alow flashlights to work outside >_< )

rob444
16-01-06, 08:54
That would add more depth to the game. 5*

dark_reaper
16-01-06, 10:14
KK does need to improve on the lighting. All I have to say it needs to be more natural for example: When it is day, most of the street lights should be off with the exception of the darker areas. There should be movement with the ambient light, or sunlight. Every lighted areas need to have an source.

The lighting needs to be dynamic, and natural. We also do not need to see the beam of the lights in some areas such as p2 i think and via rosso 3. The lights need to be natural. It needs to look natural.

Another thing they need to work on is the weather, the biggest problem with the weather is it will rain in one zone, but when u leave the zone it is sunny again.

But I give this subject 5*.

Dribble Joy
16-01-06, 10:30
Clearly I would like much more advanced lighting and shadows, but I was thinking whta could be done with the current mechanics.

If you go into TH, you realise that the lighting is kinda 'shade the south side of a model', regardless of where that model is, it's the same in all other zones.

In my MB starter apt, I have uni directional shading, but then a directional lighting effect from the yellow light in the middle.

Grumble.