PDA

View Full Version : What would YOU do

cRazy-
11-01-06, 22:54
Seriously think about this from a business point of view.

would you:

A). Give a MMORPG an age restriction of 16 or 18 or over only to reduce the amount of kiddie players. This might make the community better but it means you will have reduced profit due to no younger people playing

B). Make sure theres no age restriction, any aged person can play. You may get increased profit because young players can play, but you may have a community of horrible kiddie cunts, to be honest.

Now think about this, I want people to think carefully and take all variables into account, what would you choose?

rob444
11-01-06, 22:55
I would choose B.

Why?

Simple, more money as you said. More money means making of another sucessful mmorpg game but with an age restriction. I'm so smart!
EDIT: And then we could stop updating the kiddy mmorpg and work on the real one. Who cares if we dissapoint a few million 9 year olds, not like they get their money back anyway har har har.

Paper Dragon
11-01-06, 22:57
A). Give a MMORPG an age restriction of 16 or 18 or over only to reduce the amount of kiddie players. This might make the community better but it means you will have reduced profit due to no younger people playing

B). Make sure theres no age restriction, any aged person can play. You may get increased profit because young players can play, but you may have a community of horrible kiddie cunts, to be honest.

Basing it on "kiddy players" immediatly destroys the idea.

I think it's quite obvious at this point that physical age has no bearing on how much of a twat someone can be; just look at some of the "mature" folks playing WoW, or some of the people that smacktalk on the public channels in Neocron.

That said, for the sake of argument, I'd go for the latter choice, but step up community monitoring a notch or seven.

Spermy
11-01-06, 23:00
Niether. I'd ignore the fact that people can be complete twats on the net, but extremely nice people in RL. Even the kids.

cRazy-
11-01-06, 23:00

I think it's quite obvious at this point that physical age has no bearing on how much of a twat someone can be; just look at some of the "mature" folks playing WoW, or some of the people that smacktalk on the public channels in Neocron.

That said, for the sake of argument, I'd go for the latter choice, but step up community monitoring a notch or seven.

lol yes, this is one of the variables I told you to think about, it can be a hard decision to make when you take everything into account.

And spermy you have to chose one, you cant have a game which doesnt have a age restriction and which doesnt, doesnt have an age restriction.

Spermy
11-01-06, 23:10
lol yes, this is one of the variables I told you to think about, it can be a hard decision to make when you take everything into account.

And spermy you have to chose one, you cant have a game which doesnt have a age restriction and which doesnt, doesnt have an age restriction.

Well where the fuck is my Dr0ms and Shatn0rs choice?! You call this a vote? It's a travesty!

In all honesty - I'd go for the higher age limit. I'd hate to be a twat to someone ingame and have it end up being a kid.

Skusty
11-01-06, 23:11
B! :d

Marx
11-01-06, 23:12
Seriously think about this from a business point of view.

would you:

Now think about this, I want people to think carefully and take all variables into account, what would you choose?

Age restrictions are bullshit - it doesn't stop anyone from under that age group from playing... In fact, it usually attracts more 'kiddies'.

I think KK should just find a decent North American publisher, the simple fact that they haven't tapped into one of the largest possible MMO playing puplations is boggling.

BlackDove
11-01-06, 23:12
I choose option c)

Stabbing people in the face.

That's the way to go about it.

Other than that, b)

Spermy
11-01-06, 23:15
Age restrictions are bullshit - it doesn't stop anyone from under that age group from playing... In fact, it usually attracts more 'kiddies'.

I think KK should just find a decent North American publisher, the simple fact that they haven't tapped into one of the largest possible MMO playing puplations is boggling.

i think it was just the logistics involved in the beginning - and now about the risk of diluting an already small playerbase, with no real gaurantee of a surefire payout for 'em.

Marx
11-01-06, 23:24
i think it was just the logistics involved in the beginning - and now about the risk of diluting an already small playerbase, with no real gaurantee of a surefire payout for 'em.

I don't really think they're getting much of a payout from us anymore though.

=/

Spermy
11-01-06, 23:27
Catch 22 TBH.

Marx
11-01-06, 23:27
Catch 22 TBH.

Risk v. Benefit.

Spermy
11-01-06, 23:31
Risk v. Benefit.

Maybe if the game was more popular then yes. As it stands, there's a good sized chunk of american players yes, but we haven't really seen more american interest in the game. To open up a server over there would alienate you guys from us for one, and also most probably end up the same way as the french server did.

I think if more american interest was shown they may try a move like they did with asia.

Marx
11-01-06, 23:38
Maybe if the game was more popular then yes. As it stands, there's a good sized chunk of american players yes, but we haven't really seen more american interest in the game. To open up a server over there would alienate you guys from us for one, and also most probably end up the same way as the french server did.

I think if more american interest was shown they may try a move like they did with asia.

In order to see interest - you first need to actively advertise.

Last NC advertisement I saw was in a old computer gaming magazine back when I was still in High School (ad was during closed beta iirc)... Hell - it was another online forum which got me involved in the game, not an advertising campaign.

I think most of the North American players would have a similar story.

Spermy
11-01-06, 23:39
Would be good if it happenned. I just don't think they have the kinda money they'd need to make an impact over there.

Koshinn
11-01-06, 23:50

/agreed

lots of "mature" people act more immature than 14 yr olds.

Scaramanga
12-01-06, 01:02
I prefer the game just the way it is (apart from bugs [not gunny] of course).
Keep it age restricted, more players would come, imo, if the probs were fixed and some money was then spent on advertising. Noone i know knows about this game other than hearing about it from me. They all think of matrix and SWG when i mention a futuristic MMO.

Best time to whack a load of money into advertising would be when they release evo 2.2 and fix all the bugs and FREs (which for me have become more and more scarce). Also some better movies on the donload section would be nicer, the official ones arent that good. I started playing 'cause i chased up an article i read in PCzone years back. Soon as i got BB i dled it. If i was choosing a game on merit of the devs movies i dont think i would have chosen NC. There are some great movies made by players. Why not have a compo for some really cool in game items or periods of freeplay, or both.Then get some of the more talented subscribers to make a vid for the official NC web download section.

Good/bad idea, Dr0ms and shatn0rs?

cRazy-
12-01-06, 01:09
lol

This thread has nothing to do with Neocron whatsoever, Im not talking about this game, im just talking about an MMORPG in general.

Scaramanga
12-01-06, 01:16
Ok, in that case it doesnt really matter.

You want a game without an age restriction then you are more limited by the content.

How much eye candy you want or need to stay interested is up to the subscriber. I like the more liberal feel to NC, but tehn that's just me.

Think that the more stable your game and the better marketed it is makes more of a difference though.

Have to know more about MMO subber demographics though to make a better informed comment.

ZoVoS
12-01-06, 01:22
u dun realy get how the world works do u ^_^

put a 18 on it and more kids will play it not less

for example my younger friends around 15-16

if we go cinema it will be like

12 pg pg 15 15 OHHH and 18 lets whatch that

thats how the world works... put a higher raiting on a game will atract more people because of the contence

cRazy-
12-01-06, 01:25
u dun realy get how the world works do u ^_^

put a 18 on it and more kids will play it not less

for example my younger friends around 15-16

if we go cinema it will be like

12 pg pg 15 15 OHHH and 18 lets whatch that

thats how the world works... put a higher raiting on a game will atract more people because of the contence

zovos you noob I dont have an opinion in this, im giving you two options, ive intended to give you these options for you guys to figure it out yourselfs. My decision is unbiased, im asking what YOU would do.

ZoVoS
12-01-06, 01:32
zovos you noob I dont have an opinion in this, im giving you two options, ive intended to give you these options for you guys to figure it out yourselfs. My decision is unbiased, im asking what YOU would do.

did i once aim that at you crazie =] i was mearly stating that the people who opted for the lower rating because more people will play didnt know how the world worked,,, *points at crazy*

EDIT-=-

i didnt even notice this

hes totaly right as Marx always is =P

Scaramanga
12-01-06, 01:33
If it just boils down to kiddie cunts tbh playing then their behaviour is regulated by the system of the game and the efficay of the mods.

Putting an age restriction on it wouldnt make all that much of a difference imo.

/edit

Paper Dragon hit the nail on the head about age not making that much of a difference to how much of a twat someone is online.

cRazy-
12-01-06, 01:35
did i once aim that at you crazie =] i was mearly stating that the people who opted for the lower rating because more people will play didnt know how the world worked,,, *points at crazy*

¬_¬

Im just edgy after paper dragon had another dig

figure it out for yourselfs, im unbiased on this.

Paper Dragon
12-01-06, 01:36

Um, it wasn't a dig at you, it was a dig at the apparent "children = immature" attitude you had. o_O

cRazy-
12-01-06, 01:39
Um, it wasn't a dig at you, it was a dig at the apparent "children = immature" attitude you had. o_O

No, I just said that so you people might think about it more and gain a different point of view.

ZoVoS
12-01-06, 01:49
¬_¬

awwie

*spreads arms*

give zovos a hug

*Grabs crazie*

ew know i luvs ew

.Cyl0n
12-01-06, 05:48
Umm i dont think you can judge someone because of his/her age only.. In all games i played online so far i met "older" people who act totally immature and some 12 year old who acts like 20+... cant generalise.

So id say B... as some other guy said age restrictions dont work anyway....

Get money money :)

Obsidian X
12-01-06, 06:20
As people say, age != idiots.

For example, someone could be 30, work a shit job he hates, have no friends, no girlfriend, and a bad prostate, and his only escape he has is his MMO. To take out his frustration with the world, he spams trade with copious amounts of obscene garbage. And he's 30. :rolleyes:

Sorta makes this poll a bit pointless. Also mentioned is that kids love controversy in video games, so an 18 rating would make spoiled children play all the more.

Pantho
12-01-06, 12:08
Ok Neocron (AS an example :p)
Has an age of 16+ i tihnk now used to be 18+

But the amount of 12+ year olds i now play this is stupid, i mean come on crazy? ur 15 right? or 14 i nvr can remember :/

Spermy
12-01-06, 12:48
Ok Neocron (AS an example :p)
Has an age of 16+ i tihnk now used to be 18+

But the amount of 12+ year olds i now play this is stupid, i mean come on crazy? ur 15 right? or 14 i nvr can remember :/

22. Almost 23 IIRC. :p

l8m0n
12-01-06, 12:56
on my old nc1 case it says 18+ got it when i was 16 :lol:
but that was 3 years ago, i even put my real DOB in the sighn up and it still let go through with it :rolleyes: gg kk :p

Spermy
12-01-06, 13:00
on my old nc1 case it says 18+ got it when i was 16 :lol:
but that was 3 years ago, i even put my real DOB in the sighn up and it still let go through with it :rolleyes: gg kk :p

Because the age rating is supposed to be enforced on-site in retailers. No one with a brain would ever try to enforce that on the net, it can't be done.

rob444
12-01-06, 14:20
i mean come on crazy? ur 15 right? or 14 i nvr can remember :/

rofl crazy.

cRazy-
12-01-06, 17:38
i mean come on crazy? ur 15 right? or 14 i nvr can remember :/

Dude im 22 :/

And Obsidian for the thousandth time, this poll isnt pointless, ive put that biased statement in so you guys think about it more, I did it on purpose.

Now think about this, I want people to think carefully and take all variables into account,