PDA

View Full Version : autopatcher is trying to kill me

nemesys
11-01-06, 16:56
i've been putting this off, mainly due to the inevitable flood of well-meant if way off advice, so i'll try to head them off first. Yes, i've contacted support about this before and essentially got a shrug in response. maybe some of y'all out there have dealt with this successfully.

Win XP Pro. DSL connection. Hardware firewall, NO other systems connected to it but this one.
I have control of the firewall/router. I have opened every port listed in the connection FAQ, for all protocols, bidirectionally. I pull on average 300-600k from worldwide sources normally.

As of my typing this, the autopatcher has taken WELL OVER AN HOUR to download ten lousy megs of patch 152. How the HELL can anything b0rk up FTP to make it this slow??!

For 151, the huge monolithic patch, i tried the manual DL option. The launcher FAILED to recognize the patch being there and attempted to DL it from scratch. I cleared the patch dir THREE TIMES and it never worked.

Now for this lousy 15 meg patch i'm watching, ohh, about 4-5k per second.

This is ridiculous.

Get it sorted!

kurai
11-01-06, 17:09
Umm ... there was a known issue with some sites serving up a 151 patch that had a fucked CRC.

Redownloading it wouldn't help - it was broken at source.

The autopatcher via Launcher is limited to `game client` rate , if I remember correctly. About 4 or 5 k/s

I've used external ftp/http apps to grab my patches since ... err ... pretty much forever.
(ftp://ftp.neocron.com/nc2retail/ )
Can't say I've ever encountered a serious problem. Sorry - I know that's probably not what you want to hear right now ;)

Argent
12-01-06, 13:00
The autopatcher via Launcher is limited to `game client` rate , if I remember correctly. About 4 or 5 k/s

Erm, no it isn't. Ever since they moved the autoupdater to download the patches from the FTP (or removed the limit, whatever they did) it's been very fast, and this happened at least a year ago. Well that's one weird ass sentence.

Anyway, if you encounter problems with the autoupdater, you should download the patches manually from the neocron FTP (URL in Kurai's post) and put them into your game's patches folder, then the autoupdater should see them and patch the game as usual.

a4nic8er
12-01-06, 22:27
Sounds like it may be a problem with your connection.

Tried running a trace to the server you are attempting to download from to see if any nodes along the route are giving grief?

Have you checked whether your modem, router or ISP is dropping packets?

Have you tweaked the settings on your computer to maximise transfer rates (or did you just plug in the DSL and think that's as good as it gets?) Are you packets being fragmented/truncated?

kurai
12-01-06, 23:09
Erm, no it isn't. Ever since they moved the autoupdater to download the patches from the FTP (or removed the limit, whatever they did) it's been very fast, and this happened at least a year ago. Well that's one weird ass sentence.Ah, righto.
Didn't know it had changed - I start the game with Client.exe, rather than NeocronLauncher.exe
(Custom colour/gamma profile in nVidia driver settings for client.exe -doesn't always get picked up using the Launcher first)
I just got into the habit of downloading the files manually.